Grilles-on please

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Avalon speakers are designed to be played with its grilles ON at all times, I have seen/heard some Avalons where grilles are not placed and many of its sonic attributes disappear at the sake of a more "transparent" sound.

I am not sure if there is other speaker that needs to be "dressed" as a fundamental part of its design.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Avalon speakers are designed to be played with its grilles ON at all times, I have seen/heard some Avalons where grilles are not placed and many of its sonic attributes disappear at the sake of a more "transparent" sound.

I am not sure if there is other speaker that needs to be "dressed" as a fundamental part of its design.

I find that very interesting and wonder why it should sound better with grill covers on

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
This has to do with the difraction pattern of the cabinets Steve, when grilles are removed from my Ascents for example, center image is vague and out of control, this is particulary critical at higher frequencies.

Avalon grill frames have a 1cm thick of absorvent material, with holes just the size of the drivers to "tame" uneven difraction behaviour of its drivers.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The grill probably filters a bit of high frequencies. So if a speaker is designed with that, and you take it off, it might sound a bit brighter.

I have not heard of other theories on this.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The grill probably filters a bit of high frequencies. So if a speaker is designed with that, and you take it off, it might sound a bit brighter.

Oh, like tissue paper on a pair of NS-10's!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I have not heard of other theories on this.

I agree with Amir.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There are quite a few speakers out there designed to have the grills on or even totally cloth covered. Vandersteens, early VSAs not to mention the slew of excellent vintage loudspeakers like ARs, Rogers, Spendors and the like. Many Accuton/Thiel based loudspeakers come with the metal mesh grills too.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I find that very interesting and wonder why it should sound better with grill covers on

It depends on how the speaker was designed and whether it was "voiced" with the grille on or off. I always ask the company and, usually, there is definite answer. Sometimes, they say it doesn't matter but, as we know, it almost always is.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Kal is 100% right on this one. I asked my speaker manufacturer that question specifically regarding how the speakers were voiced. He said grills on and it does make a difference for sure.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I was told that some Avalon owners cut the grill just where the drivers are placed but leave the grilles on in order to follow the instructions manual suggestions, while I respect their choice I can't imagine how weird this may look :)

MM622

Jun 2, 2013
I’ve done some experiment, for me it depends on how close I’m sitting with the speaker. If I sit more far away, take out the grilles has better sound for me. But if I sit more near to the speaker, I prefer to put the grilles on, it sounds more natural, not too bright and aggressive. So my personal thinking is it depends on the user’s listening area, how far with the speaker.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for resurrecting this thread MM622 as I had collected some additional data on this since the thread was created. My goal was to test the impact of "acoustically transparent" screens which were claimed to make no difference at all. While I was at it, I also tested the effect of the speaker grill itself. Here are the results:

The top lime green graph is without anything. The black is the speaker's own grill. The "2K" and "4K" are the two projection screens.

Beside the roll off in highs, there is mid-frequency cancellation caused by reflections between the grill and drivers. Slanting the grill and or distancing it sharply reduces the impact. But if it is close, it unfortunately impacts the sound negatively even when well designed as that speaker grill is. This caused me to not put a screen in front of my speakers even though it looks a lot better that way (for home theater).

P.S. This is with an uncalibrated mic and in an empty room. So don't go buy the overall graph but rather, the difference between them.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Interesting plot Amir, I wonder if the differences fall into the audible spectrum.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was very surprised by how audible the panels were. More so than the graph implies. The impact on the mid-range worried me the most.

My ears kind of got trained on it in that when we first got the fabric for the screen, it was not stretched. Putting it in front of a range of speakers made an amazing difference (negatively). We gave the feedback to the manufacturer and they sent us a stretched one. That removed 75% of the difference but it was still there. The Revel grill made the least difference but it was still audible. Once I had heard the extreme case of it, maybe it made it easier to hear the difference even when the impact was much smaller. BTW, the differential for the worst case is about 3 dB.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
That's audible!

Referring just to my experience with Avalon speakers grills, they include as part of its design absorbing material that I beleive controls some directional pattern, particullary on the high frequencies radiation behaviour, so they play a two-fold role here.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
JA from stereophile measured the indra with and without , at 7 khz the difference can get into the 5 db range , definetively designed to be used with , otherwise the tweeter will be to hot sounding .
Ps this was a (semi) anechoic measurement, and the cloth is filled with felt , hence the big difference compared with amirims graph i assume
One can also see the tweeter breaking up at around 25 khz
http://www.stereophile.com/content/avalon-acoustics-indra-loudspeaker-measurements

Ps ive tried it on my own designs , focus improved , but i found it somewhat dull sounding

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing