Does a center channel have to match the right and left front speakers?

Mike Gillespie

Jan 19, 2011
I have Dynaudio Confidence 1 speakers on the left and right. The Dynaudio’s have an Esotec tweeter. For music listening I’ll just use the right and left channels, but for watching movies, I’m going to add a center channel speaker. To maintain good sound for watching movies, is it best to only get a Dynaudio speaker that has the same tweeter. Or can I get a less expensive but good center from another manufacturer who doesn’t use that particular tweeter and still good good quality sound without the tweeters mixing badly (which is what the Dyn dealers tell me but of course that's in their interest)?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Hi, Mike. Movie soundtracks use the center channel heavily, so using a quality center channel speaker will result in a better movie experience. Consistency among the speakers used for the "front soundstage" has been said to provide a more seamless wall of sound. If you end up listening to any multi-channel music, as many audiophile home theater owners do, having a matched center channel is a plus. Of course, if you can get a home audition of a speaker under consideration, you can decide if you need the matching tweeter, etc.

Lee

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Mike,

I'm of two minds about this. Ideally yes I believe the center channel should match the right and left channels, the surrounds and subwoofer integration too. It makes for a sound field that has the potential for seamlessness which to me just means less distraction from what we should be really paying attention to.....the story.

Having said that, seamlessness means nothing if whatever center one is using has one straining to understand the dialog. From this perspective the tweeter is much less important to me than the amount of midrange information that it can deliver. So my answer is a giant "It depends".

I've had HTs that had matching and non matching centers, the most extreme "mismatches" being planars for L and R and a box MTM center. In this set up, sure the little MTM had its box colorations but we never had trouble appreciating the movies watched. These days our HT have matched Fronts and Center down to the binding posts. My center uses the exact drivers and is essentially my fronts on its side less of course a whole lot of the cabinet volume hence less bass extension. While I now get a seamless wall of sound that is in perfect scale with the 100" screen and I can say that it truly does enhance the enjoyment. I would be lying if I said that it even came close to eclipsing the visual component of the movie experience.

When it comes to multichannel LISTENING however, I would say that a non-matching center is simply unacceptable to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Jack

Mike Gillespie

Jan 19, 2011
Thanks to both Lee and Jack for the very helpful information. I'll look for a Dynaudio Center with an Esotec tweeter because I'll probably want to listen to multichannel audio in the future and that's my only place. Mike

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing