As if we didn't have enough to worry about -- Another Internet Alert - Please watch

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I hope everyone watches it. If you are not, your phone is trying to be nice and tagging the GPS locations for your pictures. So therefore, any picture you post that way has such "metadata" which can easily be extracted and mapped to the exact location the picture was taken *by anyone*. Especially bad is if you post those pictures to places like facebook which by default may show those images to the whole world, not just your friends. Now imagine these are all your children photos and such!

The above is why I won't accept friend requests from people easily on my facebook and linkedin.

beek

I hope everyone watches it. If you are not, your phone is trying to be nice and tagging the GPS locations for your pictures. So therefore, any picture you post that way has such "metadata" which can easily be extracted and mapped to the exact location the picture was taken *by anyone*. Especially bad is if you post those pictures to places like facebook which by default may show those images to the whole world, not just your friends. Now imagine these are all your children photos and such!

The above is why I won't accept friend requests from people easily on my facebook and linkedin.

I always wondered about that with folks that live in unsecure homes & shoot their systems?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I always wondered about that with folks that live in unsecure homes & shoot their systems?
If they are using a gun to shoot their systems, then they are secure I would think. :D Otherwise, you definitely have a good point.

beek

Security

If they are using a gun to shoot their systems, then they are secure I would think. :D Otherwise, you definitely have a good point.

One of wildest I heard was a guy picked up a pair of big Soundlabs & left them in a closed trailer found the whole show was missing while he slept at a hotel for the long ride home.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I couldn't find any setting in my DroidX that would allow me to selectively shut off GPS to my camera. I only found global on/off controls. Anybody?

Lee
Start the camera app and then hit the menu button. Then select "tags" and in there the top option is "Auto Location Tag." Make sure it is clear.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Well, I get the idea but I don't watch youtube. As a relic of an earlier time, I prefer to read concise statements. Of course, to be consistent, I am not likely to participate in the behaviors that would make be vulnerable to such problems. Is this progress?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am the same Kal. We have no family pictures online for the world to see. We email them when we want to share or private links. I am surprised what pictures people share with the world on facebook. They don't realize that facebook mixes their business and family friends together. We don't do that in real world but someone in virtual, we do without realizing it.

It is incredible how much privacy we have lost in the age of Internet. What used to require a detective and months of research, now takes a few seconds with the search engines if you know how to use them. The visibility of this is not known to the general public.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's right. That is the "metadata" I was talking about. Usually has the camera settings but can also include the GPS locations.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm with you Mark. To this date I still don't have a Facebook account. I just see too many people spilling their guts in what I consider not just public but global space. Call me paranoid but so called "privacy settings" brng me no comfort. Like the video says, if I were a crook, social networking sites are a great resource. Reminds me of this story I saw on TV. A woman was burglarized because she happened to post that she was going to the grocery. The burglar was someone she had "friend-ed" who happened to see the opportunity. If here apartment complex hadn't had security cameras, the guy would never have been caught.

I'm not anti social networking sites, I just think people shouldn't be naive about them. That's why I appreciate this thread so much. People have to know about things like this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing