Share Your Top 2011 Recordings

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'd be interested in more details on the Haydn you bought and liked.

Bill

Hi Bill,

FWIW, here goes:

*Cello Concertos Rostropovich, Iona Brown
Horn Concertos - Warner Apex, Clevenger
Oboe Concertos - Dutton Lab., Barbiroli
*Piano Concertos - Pletnev
Trumpet Concertos E Flat - Marsalis, Leppard
Violin Concertos - Wallfisch, OAE
Symphonies - Adam Fischer (entire set)...particularly like the early works*
Symphony 82 - Kuijken, OAE*
London Symphonies (93-104) - Franz Bruggen (not in Penguin)*
Piano Trios - Beaux Arts Trio (entire set...just bought after listening to parts)
String Quartets - Kodaly Quartet (entire set)*
Piano Sonatas - Brauigam's (entire set - fortepiano, not piano)*
The Creation - Roschmann, Schade, Harnoncourt

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Thanks for sharing your list

FWIW, here goes:
Symphonies - Adam Fischer (entire set)...particularly like the early works*
Symphony 82 - Kuijken, OAE*
London Symphonies (93-104) - Franz Bruggen (not in Penguin)*
Piano Trios - Beaux Arts Trio (entire set...just bought after listening to parts)

Lots of fine music there. Your list illustrates the huge amount of quality music Haydn wrote. I have some of the same recordings but not all. More shopping to do!

Bruggen's Paris symphony set (82-87) is very good. There is a single CD with a different recording of No. 86 that is my very favorite for that symphony. The last movement (a hunt theme) is very witty.

Kuijken's 104 is very good.

The Fischer set has been a great way for me to hear the symphonies before No. 80.
The piano trios are easy to love and I love the sound of Beaux Arts Trio set.

Thanks for sharing you list. I reacted by playing the Timothy Brown/Hogwood Horn Concerto recording I have and then a Spivakov recording of the violin concerto in C major HIIa:1.

Bill

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Bill! That is great! I really, really admire Haydn and particularly enjoy Fischer's earlier symphonies...though I listen to the Bruggen Paris and London more than Fischer's.

For me, in terms of how much i own and in terms of how much i listen, it is: Bach, followed very closely and sometimes surpassed by Handel, Haydn. Then Vivaldi, Rossini, Telemann, Albioni, Corelli. Then Beethoven. Then Copland, Rodriguo, Rachmaninoff, Mussorsky. Then Schumann, etc, etc...

If there is anything from Haydn NOT on my list which you recommend, please say so! Thanks.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
If there is anything from Haydn NOT on my list which you recommend, please say so! Thanks.

Always happy to talk about Haydn recordings. I have moved past getting one performance to exploring to find performances that might offer something different. (I've got 23 performances of Symphony No. 101 'Clock'.)

Some great favorites:

Haydn: Sym 92-99 - Szell / Cleveland Orchestra on Sony
My favorites for 92-94, 96, 97, 99
Quite competitive for 95 and 98 as well. You get older recordings of 88 and 104 as well.
A recent set is $ 12.27 + $ 2.98 shipping on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Szell-Conducts-Haydn-Symphonies-George/dp/B003TUG3UO/ref=pd_sim_m_3

Haydn: Symphonies 100 and 102 - Klemerer / Philharmonia on EMI
Big band Haydn done perfectly. The second movement of 100 sounds like an English slow march.
No. 102 is the best recorded performance I've heard.

The CBS/Sony recordings of "Sturm and Drang" symphonies by Derek Solomons and L'Estro Armonico have the perfect HIP sound for these works. Here is a listing from http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com:

Haydn, Symphonies 39, 45 ['Farewell'] & 59 ['Fire']. (L'Estro Armonico/ Derek Solomons. Total time: 73'35') $ 4.99
All minor key symphonies with a feeling of unsettled energy.

There is also a CD with 45 and 48. The recording of 48 is over-the-top manic with high horns prominent. The Haydn C major symphony at its best. Buy this one too even with the duplication of No. 45.

For Sym. 82-87 Bernstein / NYPO on CBS/Sony is a classic recommendation.
I think this No. 82 is as good as any other performances I've heard. The recording is not so great as is the case with many of the CBS Bernstein / NYPO recodings.

---
Berkshire Record Outlet is a good place to look for Roy Goodman / Hanover Band CDs as well. Here are three that I value:

Haydn, Overture to an English Opera 'Windsor Castle'; Symphonies 101 & 102. (Hanover Band/ Goodman) $ 4.99
Fine performances of 101 and 102 and unlike Klemperer's performance. The Windsor Castle Overture is fine Haydn too.

Haydn, Symphonies 82-84. (The Hanover Band/ Goodman. Total time: 79'16') $ 4.99
Very robust performance of 82.

Haydn, Symphonies 85-87. (The Hanover Band/ Goodman. Total Time: 79'15') $ 4.99

Berkshire often has Haydn CDs by Mackerras / Orchestra of Saint Luke's. The 100-104 CDs are very worthwhile and the CD with No. 31 'Hornsignal' is perhaps the best modern sound recording of that symphony I've heard. (I'm missing a few possibilities for that work.)

--- Haydn concerti
Cello Concerti: Wispelwey on Channel Classics - plays the heck out of these works. HIP style, high energy and very good sound.

Piano Concerto in D: Kissin is my favorite. The CD has a quite good if not the very best Sinfonia Concertante (a work which is just as good as the London symphonies).

Trumpet Concerto: Helmut Wobisch on a Vanguard CD. This recording (from the early 50s I think) has lousy sound but the performance is so energetic that I adapt within 60 seconds.

These concerto performances present the concerti as high energy virtuoso pieces. Quite different from the modern virtuoso style of big names soloists.

I've tried to be moderate in my recommendations. ;)

Bill

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bill,
Can I suggest Haydn "The 7 last Words of the Christ on the Cross" (Le Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall) ?

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Septem-Verba-Christi-Cruce/dp/B000W7M1D0

The music is great, but the booklet joining the CD about this Haydn masterpiece is also excellent. It includes texts by Raimundo Pannikar, a spanish Catholic priest and scholar, and José Saramago, portuguese writer and Nobel prize in literature in 1997.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bill,
Can I suggest Haydn "The 7 last Words of the Christ on the Cross" (Le Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall) ?

The music is great, but the booklet joining the CD about this Haydn masterpiece is also excellent. It includes texts by Raimundo Pannikar, a spanish Catholic priest and scholar, and José Saramago, portuguese writer and Nobel prize in literature in 1997.

Do I smell a bias here? .. Spanish priest and Portuguese write??r ... ;) Iberian Peninsula ? Hmmm? Will look in to the recommendations ..

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Bill,
Can I suggest Haydn "The 7 last Words of the Christ on the Cross" (Le Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall) ...

Thanks for the suggestion. I normally avoid anything religious in music but Jordi Savall seems to be one of those natural musicians who do everything well. I'll have a listen.

Are you familiar with symphonies by Carlos Baguer?

What are you drinking now? (last time you were drinking an old porto.

Bill

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Bill,

Wow! Great list of Hadyn music! Thanks...will read thru over the weekend!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Bill,

I dont have this piece of Haydn...thanks!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for the suggestion. I normally avoid anything religious in music but Jordi Savall seems to be one of those natural musicians who do everything well. I'll have a listen.

Are you familiar with symphonies by Carlos Baguer?

What are you drinking now? (last time you were drinking an old porto.

Bill

Jose Saramago was a known atheist and he lived in permanent conflict with the Catholic Church - this pairing with Savall and Panikkar was really interesting.

Carles Baguer is an XVIII century composer from Barcelona, Catalonia - my daughter is currently living there and this triggered my attention to their music sometime ago. I have listened to some of Baguer harpsichord music, but never to the symphonies. Thanks for the advice, I will look into them.

No Porto this time - may be I will open a bottle by Christmas!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Bill,

Hi Micro,

I have put this on my next round of Amazon used CDs buys...thanks. Savall recorded this twice...the one you referred to here is his second recording i believe. i listened to it briefly on Amazon and liked it a lot.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Hi Micro,

I have put this on my next round of Amazon used CDs buys...thanks. Savall recorded this twice...the one you referred to here is his second recording i believe. i listened to it briefly on Amazon and liked it a lot.

Yet another Haydn recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Haydn-...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1324411981&sr=1-1

or

http://www.amazon.com/Six-String-Qu...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1324412103&sr=1-3

A really likely HIP performance. Of the Op. 33 CDs I've heard, it is my favorite.

I'd wait for a cheap copy to come by. For a long time, this was pure unobtanium. I read rave reviews for years on rec.music.classical.recordings before I got a copy.

Bill

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yet another Haydn recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Haydn-...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1324411981&sr=1-1

or

http://www.amazon.com/Six-String-Qu...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1324412103&sr=1-3

A really likely HIP performance. Of the Op. 33 CDs I've heard, it is my favorite.

I'd wait for a cheap copy to come by. For a long time, this was pure unobtanium. I read rave reviews for years on rec.music.classical.recordings before I got a copy.

Bill

Wow! $95! yes, probably one to watch out for...thanks! look forward to hearing it properly...did do the Amazon sample. sounds nice!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Since I have pointed Savall I should refer the best recording I got from his label (ALIAVOX) this year

Dinastia Borja – Chiesa e potere nel Renascimento, La Capella Reial de Catalunya; Hespèrion XXI – Jordi Savall, dir.

It is a 3 CD/SACD large book with a bonus DVD - I needed a full holiday weekend to go over it.
It received the 2011 Grammy Award for Best Small Ensemble Performance

http://www.amazon.com/Dinastia-Borgia-Jordi-Hesperion-Savall/dp/B0041ENV7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324429808&sr=8-1

Please note that cost at Amazon UK is much lower :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinastia-Borgia-Dynasty-Hesperion-XXI/dp/B0041ENV7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324430244&sr=8-1

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing