Permissible Links

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi,

Being new I'm not sure as to what exactly is allowed in terms of linked content. Many forums have certain restrictions that inhibit members to post links to competitive websites. Would it be possible for one of the powers that are on WHAT'S BEST to give me/us some guidance in this regard?

Sincerely,

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Replied

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sorry for digging this up, but my query kind of fits and I didn't want to start a new thread.

Because I'm up early I tend to see a good share of spam threads (although it's really not that bad), and I report those. The latest one, which I reported, had 2 links and that is usually always indicative of being a spam account.

Can we not implement a minimum 10-post rule before links are allowed in signatures, and perhaps posts. And also before being able to start a thread.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Thanks, John! You wouldn't believe the amount of time Steve puts in to keep the board clean. For every minute I spend banning a spammer, he spends 5-10 minutes removing IP addresses, emails, etc.

Lee

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here's the thing about spammers. They want a quick in and out with no roadblocks, although some are more persistant than others. The problem is that whatever roadblocks you put in place also affects legitimate new members, and you don't want to alienate them with those roadblocks at the get go. They need to be realistic and just enough to reduce spammer attempts.

The 10-post rule before being able to create a thread works.
The 10-post rule before adding links in a post and/or signature works.

We have seen spam drop by 90% when this was implemented. And when it's explained to legitimate new members that these are spam-protection methods, they fully understand.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
If I may, John. There are some issues associated with this. We have an "Introduce yourself" section of the forum which, if this were to be implemented, would disable new members from doing just that. Also, spammers sometimes wait to wreck the forum. Having them able to list a signature allows our team to quickly spot the intentions of the spammer before he has the chance to do any harm. As far as he links go, we have a few members with outstanding posts that have links provided within the first ten posts. Some with still under ten posts under their belt.

Making the membership grow with quality members is our collective goal. Thwarting new members from posting due to restrictions is not. Just some thoughts to throw out there...

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks John. I have been reluctant to do such for the very reason you suggest however now would be a good time to revisit it

You're welcome Steve! I'm all for life without spammers, and spam..jpg too I might add.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A better way is to leave as is BUT to moderate the first 5-10 posts as some other sites do

That's another alternative for sure. You guys know what's best for your site ......

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
John, please understand that I wasn't trying to shoot your suggestions down. That was not my intention, nor was it what I was trying to accomplish. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome at any time. ;)

Thanks.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, please understand that I wasn't trying to shoot your suggestions down. That was not my intention, nor was it what I was trying to accomplish. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome at any time. ;)

Thanks.

I understand completely Tom, and your post went under my radar as we posted at the same time, so I apologize for missing it.

All I tried to do, and I know you recognize that, is to help with the reduction of spam that all sites have issues with. I'm not sure if you know, but I'm a Moderator over at Blu-ray.com, and the suggestion I made worked very well over there. WBF is a different animal due to its smaller member base, and perhaps the status quo is good enough.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing