Gaps when "quoting"?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm seeing like a 1" or sometimes 2" gap (white space) when someone quotes a post. Is this a glitch?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The "quote" displays below where my user info (left with avatar) ends.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't see that gap at my end

Has it always been that way for you

No. Just in the last day.....very strange as I've not changed any settings whatsoever.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Today almost all of the layout in HTML is done with CSS.
Sometimes sites don’t display right due to problems when interpreting the CSS.
The CSS is downloaded at the same time as the page.
If this happens to late or incomplete you see all kind of funny things.

Empty the cache of your browser (temporary internet files) sometimes helps.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Today almost all of the layout in HTML is done with CSS.
Sometimes sites don’t display right due to problems when interpreting the CSS.
The CSS is downloaded at the same time as the page.
If this happens to late or incomplete you see all kind of funny things.

Empty the cache of your browser (temporary internet files) sometimes helps.

Did that. Still not right.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This is what I get:

printscreen..jpg

See the space between the top of the reply box and where the quote starts?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can barely see it John :). But from what I can tell, there is definitely a problem at your end. Can you please tell us what browser you are using? And if you have access to another one, can you try it?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can barely see it John :). But from what I can tell, there is definitely a problem at your end. Can you please tell us what browser you are using? And if you have access to another one, can you try it?

I'm using Win7 and IE9...and sorry about the small size, not used to using the PrtScn button.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm using Win7 and IE9...and sorry about the small size, not used to using the PrtScn button.
It is not the font but the entire image is tiny. But I think I see the problem.

What I was asking is for you to try two different brands of browsers to see if the same problem persists. So if it is happening with IE, can you try Chrome, your phone, etc and see if you still see it?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It is not the font but the entire image is tiny. But I think I see the problem.

What I was asking is for you to try two different brands of browsers to see if the same problem persists. So if it is happening with IE, can you try Chrome, your phone, etc and see if you still see it?

Switched to Firefox and it's ok now.....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Problem is...(and sorry guys), but I like IE9 and don't understand why this happened in just the last day or so.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We have not made any changes to the site so something has occurred on your PC. As to the cause, it is impossible to say. But let's try some hacks :).

Fire up IE9, bring up the page with the issue, and then hit F12. A split window should show up at the bottom of the screen. Go to the Cache menu and select: Clear Browser Cache for this domain (or hit control-d). See if that fixes anything.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We have not made any changes to the site so something has occurred on your PC. As to the cause, it is impossible to say. But let's try some hacks :).

Fire up IE9, bring up the page with the issue, and then hit F12. A split window should show up at the bottom of the screen. Go to the Cache menu and select: Clear Browser Cache for this domain (or hit control-d). See if that fixes anything.

Ok. Did that. Also refreshed the page. Old posts still show in the same way. Lets see if this reply with quote works.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No. Still getting the gap.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Don't worry, John, browsers can be a nightmare. I like, or am very used to, Firefox but over the last month I've lost all the buttons when I do an Advanced Reply. So can't add proper emoticons, etc. I SHOULD know how to sort out software, but I've given up trying to fix this annoyance ...

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing