40th anniversary for the Intel 4004 microprocessor chip

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
There were stories in the media this week about the 40th anniversary of the Intel 4004 microprocessor chip.

http://www.i-programmer.info/history/machines/3345-birth-of-the-intel-4004-the-first-microprocessor.html

From a modest start as a programmable basis for implementing a calculator, the microprocessor chip has progressed to being the basis for the most powerful computers.

It has been a triumph of science and technology. I still marvel at the achievement that a successful semiconductor fab line represents.

Bill

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Laptops with more power than those gazillion-dollar mainframes...

I actually played with a 4004 for a bit, but the 8008 and then 8080 were the cat's meow in the late 70's/early 80's. Hard to believe the 80's were 30 years ago!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing