So much for losing their edge :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, I must have missed the memo :). The video didn't say anything. What edge must have they lost? Marketing?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK, I must have missed the memo :). The video didn't say anything. What edge must have they lost? Marketing?

I was referring to another thread on WBF :) The official press announcement comes out 12/15.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I wonder how many years we are away from $1M speakers?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I wonder how many years we are away from $1M speakers?

I think there is at least one speaker going for that price :) Does that include surround sound systems? :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Nah, I was just talking about a pair of straight up 2 channel speakers.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Does XLF means eXtended Low Frequency? The video mentioned 'New Bass Management Technology', so this series must be all about better LF.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This sounds alot like the bass management of the Focal Grand Utopia EM.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A big question in this moment: can current models be upgraded to XLF? .:confused:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This sounds alot like the bass management of the Focal Grand Utopia EM.

Don't Field Coil drivers fall under "Active"?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Jack you must be itchin' to upgrade from those lowly VR9 SEs...:)...and for only 1/5th of a million $$

caesar

May 30, 2010
Myles, I have no doubt this is (or will be) a great speaker, as the Alexandria is a great speaker already. Obviously you are taking a shot at my other thread, but in nearly 4,000 hits so far no one - including a member of the Wilson family - has been able to explain what the Wilson brand is all about. In the video, David Wilson doesn't bother explaining either.

But from a business stand point, there are several issues at play:
- new composite materials - this is likely a response to all the chatter about the lack of resonance of Magico aluminum enclosures. Something has hit a nerve.
- a $200K speaker will get a lot of attention, but how many models will actually sell?
- the design claims to be making big leaps in several areas, so probably no upgrade path
- the introduction of this speaker will mean that the XLF innovations will likely trickle down to lower priced models. What does it mean for the sales of the Maxx and the Sasha in the next 12-18 months? Smart consumers will wait and get the updated models... The used market will get flooded...

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
- a $200K speaker will get a lot of attention, but how many models will actually sell?

At that price, he won't need to sell many. That said, my guess is he will sell quite a number. There are still a lot of very wealthy people in this world who can "afford" such an item and contrary to some of your allusions that Wilson does not have a "what we stand for" theme, I think they do - and so do many/most of their customers. And for that reason, they have somewhat of a captive audience out of their existing customer base.

The X-2 is a wonderful speaker so I have not doubt that this new monster will be a step up! $50K worth? That is all relative.

And I'm not 100% sure his new cabinet material is in response to Magico. Wilson was one of the first audio companies to get away form MDF. Each iteration of his speaker line has had improvements in cabinet material.

I have always been a huge fan of the Wilson marketing approach and this is just one more step along the way.

Since most audio businesses do not have a transaction revenue stream, an additional approach for growth for a company like Wilson (in addition to getting new Wilson customers) is market churn. And by coming up with new cabinet, which as you suggested will probably show up in other lower priced models, his existing customers will "upgrade" generating new revenue from an existing customer base. Brilliant!

But that's just my $0.02 !!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It is apparent from the brochure that the XLF has increased cabinet volume over the X2. That alone should increase bass even with the same drivers. I love this teaser style introduction. We see this a lot in the largest consumer entertainment segments: Gaming, Television and Motion Pictures. Wilson has always adopted best practices from other industries. They were one of the first to adopt viral product introductions.

Put simply, given Wilson's loyal consumer base, probably the largest among all domestic loudspeaker manufacturers whose products fall above the $10,000 threshold, and with a production facility capable of producing what marketing efforts can generate in terms of sales, Wilson has an easier time calibrating both supply and demand. To me that is real savvy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing