Sonus Faber Aida

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I for one hope you are right as IMO the silk dome tweeter on the XLF is indeed superior to the inverted titanium dome on the X2

As far as know it will not be carried. I heard that Wilson Audio had a generous part-exchange policy for recent buyers of the X2 - an usual procedure of this company in similar cases.
But I can be wrong about it. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Steve - one of the things i have grown to love about the Wilson X1s and X2s is their sense of effortlessness. Even on Norah Jones, the sense of scale is lifelike and effortless. How doe sthe Aida compare on this point?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve - one of the things i have grown to love about the Wilson X1s and X2s is their sense of effortlessness. Even on Norah Jones, the sense of scale is lifelike and effortless. How doe sthe Aida compare on this point?

I thought the Aida held up just fine

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It took about one hour to our distributor to take the speakers from the boxes and move them to the listening room - the SF trolleys were really helpful.

They are really very heavy - must get some Teflon footers tomorrow to allow moving them for setup.
Meanwhile, I took two frequency response curves with the speakers in the arrival position. Still a lot of work to carry, but not too bad for a starting guess!

Attachments

• aa3..jpg
    aa3..jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 493
  • aa2..jpg
    aa2..jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 499
  • aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 925

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Any actual pics of your set-up, what do the components comprise of feeding them. I have always appreciated the fit and finish of SF

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Look forward to your 'review', Microstrip!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Heya Micro,
so are the speakers in a similar position to your normal ones, or just in a very general room location for now?
That picture shows how large they are, a few more would be nice :)

Thanks
Orb

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
After the plusses the downside of some/ a lot of bigsystems is that they are a bit slow in my opinion
They have big woofers to move air with , their settlingtimes dont always correspond with the mid /tweeter section

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After the plusses the downside of some/ a lot of bigsystems is that they are a bit slow in my opinion
They have big woofers to move air with , their settlingtimes dont always correspond with the mid /tweeter section

Yes, agree...that is actually one of the toughest parts imho about using Subs in parallel with main speakers. In any event, I think the bass on the Magico that i've heard (not a big one) and big Wilsons is exceptionally nimble and deep which is nice.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It is now too early to have a reliable opinion on the Aida's - still only noticing the good things.
For the burn in - setup phase I am using only digital with a class-D amplifier :) - the Metronome Kalista Reference with the matching converter C2A Signature the driving the Audio Research DS450 using a high quality passive - the Ben Duncan ProPassion built using Vishay resistors.

But one thing for sure - they are "fast". Although these are very preliminary feelings, they image like no other speaker I have owned and soundstage is solid, massive, but ethereal and delicate in detail.
More to follow after the Metronome setup leaves the place - while it is here I have to listen!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Would love to read about your thoughts on Aida v Sonus Faber v Wilson X2 v Sound Lab A1s...;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Would love to read about your thoughts on Aida v Sonus Faber v Wilson X2 v Sound Lab A1s...;)

Still a long way until I can have an opinion. One thing is sure - after two days of moving them, taken measurements and a few listening sessions there is something permanent on them - an easiness and proper integration of the treble in the whole spectrum that bewitches us. They are faster than the SoundLabs and do not suffer from the problem that Andromedaaudio referred - sounding slow because of the bass.

Still dealing with the suckouts and peaks bellow the Schroeder frequency - I have put in place again the lateral Flutterfree panels for the preliminary tests. Moving the speakers and listening position I found I can get response down to 19 Hz - but with a suckout around 55Hz.

Listening this morning I found I have already had them in a better position - but I am not sure anymore where they were positioned at that best spot. Next week I will start a more systematic approach to setup, using also the CARA software - simulation is less violent that moving these 160 Kg objects and sometimes more rewarding! ;)

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Still a long way until I can have an opinion. One thing is sure - after two days of moving them, taken measurements and a few listening sessions there is something permanent on them - an easiness and proper integration of the treble in the whole spectrum that bewitches us. They are faster than the SoundLabs and do not suffer from the problem that Andromedaaudio referred - sounding slow because of the bass.

Still dealing with the suckouts and peaks bellow the Schroeder frequency - I have put in place again the lateral Flutterfree panels for the preliminary tests. Moving the speakers and listening position I found I can get response down to 19 Hz - but with a suckout around 55Hz.

Listening this morning I found I have already had them in a better position - but I am not sure anymore where they were positioned at that best spot. Next week I will start a more systematic approach to setup, using also the CARA software - simulation is less violent that moving these 160 Kg objects and sometimes more rewarding! ;)

When do you want Red Cross to begin dropping food packages? :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

they're big! How do they compare in size to the Sonus Fabers?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
they're big! How do they compare in size to the Sonus Fabers?

They are really larger in size - but we have to remember that the SF Amati Futura was unanimously considered by every visitor as the more elegant speaker that had seen - specially in the black graphite finish.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro

What are your room dimensions

13' - 14.5' width x 31' long x 8' high. I am considering enlarging it about 1.5' in the speaker zone, but as it involves builders, noise and dust, it has been postponed sine die.

The back one third of the room doubles as my office - I listen from there when I post to WBF. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing