wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Aida with Krell MRA in Germany

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Probably no efficiency and impedance drive problems there , with a high gain preamp , one could just fry the drivers to dust:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Truthfully, while i am interested in hearing more about the Aidas...i am even more interested in hearing about those MRAs...the Krell Master Reference Amps were no holds barred, cost no object, winner takes all amps that D'Agostino made in limited numbers...they weight some 400lbs each or something if i am not mistaken. Anyone have any views on them?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I bet they hum.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No ,but there are a pair for sale in germany .
Thing i can say while living with a pair of krell 400 evos on a daily basis for 2 years now
They are very uncloured amps , probably thats why not everybody likes them , i dont think they have much character

Mep mine are as quit as a rock and a quit rock that is , the best transientreponse i have yet heard, yours probably have a problem which needs to be fixed

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard the Krell 402 Evos, not your monos...i like them. I agree they are invisible/transparent in nature with excellent transient response. i also have heard the Evo 600 monos and Evo 900 monos. Would love hear the MRAs.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Me too , i imagine living in a free standinghouse , with a soundroom sealed with a isolated door , watching a movie on full power with something like the MRA s and a big speakersystem .
That s high on end

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yup! ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
No ,but there are a pair for sale in germany .
Thing i can say while living with a pair of krell 400 evos on a daily basis for 2 years now
They are very uncloured amps , probably thats why not everybody likes them , i dont think they have much character

Mep mine are as quit as a rock and a quit rock that is , the best transientreponse i have yet heard, yours probably have a problem which needs to be fixed

I was just kidding based on everything that I have been through with my KSA-250 which is on its way back to Krell for the second time. I'm glad yours work great.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Me too , i imagine living in a free standinghouse , with a soundroom sealed with a isolated door , watching a movie on full power with something like the MRA s and a big speakersystem .
That s high on end

Andromedaaudio,
May be I will have something like the MRS soon - just received two large and heavy spare replacement drivers for the Krell Master Refence subwoofer from Germany. All I have now is to have the boxes made.
All the guilt should go to WBF - all this talk about subwoofers was contagious!

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
precisely my desire to compare them as that silk dome tweeter fascinates me. What I heard at CES from that Aida was nothing short of spectacular and indeed Wilson gave excellent explanation as to why he chose the silk dome tweeter

You're not going to buy the XLFs and you can't put the silk dome tweeters in your X2s,
are you replacing the X2s with the Aidas?

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Krell is selling MRA amplifier pairs for $85,000 through Krell Direct.

Lee

Does his mean they can fix old busted ones now? I have a neighbor with a busted pair, been that way for a couple of years now.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I can't imagine that Wilson won't be able to make new tweeter boxes so that current customers can swap out the whole thing - they are modular construction after all, aren't they? And then provide the necessary crossover mods for them.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I can't imagine that Wilson won't be able to make new tweeter boxes so that current customers can swap out the whole thing - they are modular construction after all, aren't they? And then provide the necessary crossover mods for them.

one would think however I did ask that of Dave Wilson at CES and he said it is impossible due to the size of the tweeter module with the silk dome being wider than the tweeter module on the X2 and the crossovers are indeed slightly different

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
one would think however I did ask that of Dave Wilson at CES and he said it is impossible due to the size of the tweeter module with the silk dome being wider than the tweeter module on the X2 and the crossovers are indeed slightly different

Where there's a will there is a way. I am sure he can do better than that.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Where there's a will there is a way. I am sure he can do better than that.

I for one hope you are right as IMO the silk dome tweeter on the XLF is indeed superior to the inverted titanium dome on the X2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing