Sonus Faber Aida

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
What type of refurbishing are you referring to? Even the huge SoundLabs with their high-tech stators and doped Mylar diaphragm can not compete with Aida's in drive. I have listened to a friend's pair driven by DartZeel NH458 and at the levels we listened to the Crime of the Century the Quad's would fly ...

Well i have heard 57's refurbed by wayne picquet and i can tell you db levels and drive would not be an Issue unless in a pretty large room ....

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Just to remember that some people say that the TIR2 is a large improvement over the TYR, and is affecting the sales of the Valhalla.

I have heard that to, but I have not actually read where anyone has long term owned Tyr ic or sc and compared. I have just read they are fuller - hard to tell if real performance increase or part of marketing cycle.

I have Tyr speaker cable and 6m ic between pre and power. I have no desire to go to Tyr 2, it will be used Valhalla next to go with my Valhalla phono cable, ic's and PC's.
In fact I have a Tyr phono cable in transit now at close out prices of 50% off - happy with that.

Cheers

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
That's the guy.

Yeah, I had a pair of those. Sorry, still no deal. No major dynamics or bass extension to speak of. Wonderful playing small scale music at modest volume though.

Not even close to the Aidas or my Gamut S9s in any way. But, much less expensive.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Yeah, I had a pair of those. Sorry, still no deal. No major dynamics or bass extension to speak of. Wonderful playing small scale music at modest volume though.

Not even close to the Aidas or my Gamut S9s in any way. But, much less expensive.
Jeff: I wasn't even remotely suggesting that a pair of old Quads, whether or not restored, would be comparable to a modern full range speaker, let alone one that is aiming for the top level of performance. Just that Wayne was the 'go to' guy for restoring the speaker. If you take a look at my earlier comments in this thread comparing my Quad system from the 80's to my current system, you'll see that. I do think that the old Quad remains relevant as a benchmark for midrange purity, though.

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
I definitely agree with you on that point. On the right material the 57's are pretty stellar. If I only had one more room! :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey, you are asking me to remember what a system from 25 years ago sounded like, but I can try to do it, recognizing that this is filtered not only through my own listening biases but through the rosy glow of memory:
On the old Quad '57' system:
Midrange was just 'there'- natural, unconstrained, human voice was entirely without artifact, except what the recording brought to it, string tone marvelous, horns great within the limits of the system's ability to go loud (some dynamic constriction) and scale- (image size constriction); orchestra worked only in miniature, for both of those reasons, but fine as far as it went. With a sub, there was always discontinuity; I didn't crossover the Quads, I just ran the sub in tandem, because I didn't want the Quads to be filtered through a crossover; the ribbons added air and didn't really bother me as much as the woofer. Adding the rear channels was a hit or miss affair, on some recordings it worked, on others it didn't. When it worked, as the late, great Chuck Lamonica said, when he heard it (a great, characterful, sweet guy who was very much part of the NY audio community who sadly passed away back in around 1991), 'you could kiss every note.'
Compared to what i am running today:
the midrange is just as coherent and unconstrained, at far greater equipment cost, compared to that old system- so that makes the old system crazy good for the money; these days, i have dynamics and an effortlessness with the horns that is much closer to real music on any program material beyond simple human voice and basic instruments (even a small combo, especially horns and drums, can really tax a system); I still have bass integration issues (although better with the latest line stage and phono stage and cabling, but at a cost for those components alone that exceeds by far, the cost of the old system).

The punchline: I could easily live with a Quad 57-based system with the right associated equipment. And whether the current rig I am running is really worth the X factor in cost is probably debatable. I think anybody listening to the two side by side would probably say the current system gets their vote. And, there's probably less 'murk' in the current system, owing to improvements in phono playback and electronics, but even that may be less pronounced than I'm imagining, sitting here thinking about it 25 years later- the Quads weren't a model of efficiency and the noise floor was different than working with 104db horns, so it is essential that I get the 'muck' out of the current system for me to live with it. The Quads probably filtered that stuff, partly through (in)efficiency and restricted bandwidth.
I think that's a fair summary.

Thanks, whart. I haven't heard this exact system, BUT I'm sure that there are very few systems today that would surpass it. Plus, we're talking 25 years later! I suspect with some of the newer subs and with a better front end, it still could be a really tough system to beat and at a used price that would be ultra attractive. As you may know, i think VERY highly of my ARC D70Mk2 when matched up to my current system. When it comes to midrange reproduction and the ability to reproduce human voice, I have never heard better.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have heard that to, but I have not actually read where anyone has long term owned Tyr ic or sc and compared. I have just read they are fuller - hard to tell if real performance increase or part of marketing cycle.

I have Tyr speaker cable and 6m ic between pre and power. I have no desire to go to Tyr 2, it will be used Valhalla next to go with my Valhalla phono cable, ic's and PC's.
In fact I have a Tyr phono cable in transit now at close out prices of 50% off - happy with that.

Cheers

turntable, I'm in the same boat as you, awaiting the Tyr phono cable. Did you have yours burned in, as this does make a pretty big difference. BTW, I have heard the Tyr 2 ( albeit not for an extended listen) and while I would say it is slightly ( very slightly) more capable in the bottom end, I wasn't bowled over by the difference. Plus, I think Nordost has actually cheapened the connector's in the new line. Wouldn't be the 1st time that a high-end manufacturer has cheapened the quality in their line only to claim it superior:(.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Guess I'm just not a Quad 57 fanboy. Way too limited speaker. Does 1 thing well and a lot more wrong. But what bothers me the most (and I've heard stock and modded), is that it sounds like you're listening through a mail slot. I think we tend to look at some older products with rosé colored glasses and I think today's stats are worlds better.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Guess I'm just not a Quad 57 fanboy. Way too limited speaker. Does 1 thing well and a lot more wrong. But what bothers me the most (and I've heard stock and modded), is that it sounds like you're listening through a mail slot. I think we tend to look at some older products with rosé colored glasses and I think today's stats are worlds better.

Finally someone has the guts to say so! Thanks!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

+1 and so are numerous non-stats

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center

I can say with confidence you did not have the correct amplification driving your 57's , bass extension i can agree with , some what , as i do not know what you were expecting for low bass , they do have sufficient bass , anymore on a single pr would change it's fantastic balance , as to lacking dynamics , IMO not so ..

I do know the wrong amplification would provide the sound you described, double stacked version does take the performance to another level.....

As to the maggie and MLOGANS Fan bwoys , quick to dismiss, we have done the comparision , exhaustive comparisions and the PK modded double stacked have shown them all the door , i can post the picture of the 20.1 relegated to the bathtub next to the sound room by one who made the change ...:)

The presentation in New York by PK was dreadful , no representation as to what im speaking off and no i dont have one , just clearing the fuzz ..:)

Regards,

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
turntable, I'm in the same boat as you, awaiting the Tyr phono cable. Did you have yours burned in, as this does make a pretty big difference. BTW, I have heard the Tyr 2 ( albeit not for an extended listen) and while I would say it is slightly ( very slightly) more capable in the bottom end, I wasn't bowled over by the difference. Plus, I think Nordost has actually cheapened the connector's in the new line. Wouldn't be the 1st time that a high-end manufacturer has cheapened the quality in their line only to claim it superior:(.

Hi Davey

I just received the Tyr phono cable today. Now on the TW AC-3. No burn in, I'll do it the old way - by playing LP's.

Yes, I noticed the cheaper rca connectors. No more wbt, only on Valhalla and Odin. I don't need any additional bass weight, so happy with the original Tyr's, especially at 50% off and wbt RCA's.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Davey

I just received the Tyr phono cable today. Now on the TW AC-3. No burn in, I'll do it the old way - by playing LP's.

Yes, I noticed the cheaper rca connectors. No more wbt, only on Valhalla and Odin. I don't need any additional bass weight, so happy with the original Tyr's, especially at 50% off and wbt RCA's.

Not the same :) At least put it on a line level source to break it in!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Davey

Turntable, that's great. I will be very interested to hear of your thoughts. BTW, I agree with Myles, it's going to "take a month of Sunday's" ( is that an Aussie term:rolleyes:) to burn them in au naturel. Better if you can use a line source or Best.... a Vidar or similar machine. I don't have my set yet as I had my dealer burn them in for me on his Vidar and they are still coming to me. Have to agree, that at the current prices, the Tyr's are a no brainer.
IMO, the WBT's are far superior to the new connector's that Nordost is using...plus, I'm sure they cost more to Nordost...which may be one of the reasons they were dropped..( Not according to Nordost, I'm sure:eek:).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing