FS: EMT 938 turntable

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

It is time to let go my EMT 938 turntable, which I have had as a backup unit for my Avid table for quite a while. This turntable has seen little use with me, and has been stored for about 20 months. I bought it from a good friend of mine who is passionate for vintage gear and had this EMT as one of his preferred items.

I will upload a FS add at AGON in two more weeks, I decided to post it here and give the opportunity to our members at WBF to grab this gem first :).

I borrowed this wording from the net since I tend to agree 100% with its content:

"The EMT 938 is not only the "little brother" of the EMT 948 but also the last turntable made by EMT. An increasing number of private radios with decreasing budgets made it necessary to develop a turntable with an attractive price but still with EMT quality.

It was a good idea to use already existing technique and save development cost. The result was a unit using the same techique which has been already proven in the EMT 948 and, in case of the audio technique, also in the EMT 950. The motor as well as the drive electronics were adopted exactly from the EMT 948. But the electronics had not longer been spread over several boards in a service friendly manner, but were collected on one large single board. So you may find two large boards (one for audio and one for the drive) within the unit. This less service friendly solution is not a problem at all because the experience shows that these turntables are really long live units.

This longevity assures these units still today a lot of friends and the compact design raises the WAF (wife acceptance factor) as the acceptance by companions in life is called in a jokey way.

The large differences against the big brothers are the not available pick-up illumination, which is not essential for home use, the completely closing dust cover, which can be opened either up to 45° or has to be taken off completely, the compact design, the missing "reverse gear" und for some listeners the fact, that the pick-up is not connected to a transformer. The adoption of level and impedance are made by means of an active stage. But the large number of content EMT 938 owners shows that the development engineers made their homeworks completely."

This turntable has a VERY musical sound, a solid image presentation and might surely be the last turntable anyone can need, it can be used with its internal MM phono stage or skip the electronics and use your fave outboard phono stage, comes with a decent cartridge but deserves something better.

I have many pictures to share for interested buyers, and willing to arrive to a fast sale negotiation within our members.

flezama@ctnet.com

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
UPDATED DESCRIPTION: (based on mails I have received so far)

i) this turntable is wired (factory settings) to play thru its internal preamp, which is a MM design, it can be easily updated to skip the internal preamp and use ANY external preamp as any regular turntable.

ii) I am not the original owner, bought it from a friend who collects vintage gear in excellent condition, this turntable has seen very little use since it has always been a backup unit at a radio station, then my friend and then me.

iii) it is a FULLY working item, no issues.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
iv) looks like the internal wiring of the headshell is the non-propietary one, have pictures if interested.

Update: I have just ordered the EMT cable that allows to over-ride the internal preamp, it just plugs in the back of the turntable, so using the internal or an external preamp is now a breeze.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing