Stereo Field Processing

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Stereo Field Processing - BSGT QOL Signal Completion Stage

Had the opportunity to test out a BSGT "qol Signal Completion Stage" last night. I went to their website and tried to find out some information on what this box does. They charge $3995 and offer a 30 day trial.

BSG Technologies

Below is a photo of the unit. It sits between either your source and pre or the pre and amp. There are no settings besides on and bypass. I was listening to its effect and found I could recreate the same exact effect by using the mid/side settings on my console. It does increase gain and brings up all the "side" information from about 125Hz and above. I had put an SACD in my Playback Designs and also had the ripped DSD information in my Sonoma workstation and going through an analog loop from the console. I matched the gain and did quick A/B comparisons to see if I could emualte the effect. Anyone could do the same exact thing using a L+R/L-R/Mid algorithm.
That's it....??? For $4k? The company says it's completely analog, no digital processing and the company says the "qol" effect is patented. The effect reminds me of an exaggerated Q-Sound.... very phasey! Seems this is the only component that they make. Me thinks you need to save your money....

Attachments

• http___www.bsgt..jpg
    http___www.bsgt..jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,763
  • http___www.bsgt2..jpg
    http___www.bsgt2..jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 2,934
Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
For a much cheaper (and better) alternative, use the Rupert Neve Stereo Field Editor. The effect is variable where you have greater control over the effect. Also, you can vary the depth and other cool features.

Rupert Neve Portico 5014 Stereo Field Editor

Attachments

• 5014h-mk2-web..jpg
    5014h-mk2-web..jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2,867

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Bruce. It is disappointing to hear that it doesn't perform better than other cute but quickly tiring stereo effects processing.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks Bruce. It is disappointing to hear that it doesn't perform better than other cute but quickly tiring stereo effects processing.

The bad thing is they claim it's an ambience/music recovery system:

"we have simply found a way to extract information already present in recordings, but otherwise hidden in conventional reproduction. Our technology enables COMPLETE capture, transmission, and reproduction of such information, including elements that, until now, have remained hidden and buried in electronics, and unavailable to the listener"

All it is is a stereo field editor that mixes in an out of phase signal. You can see it on the o-scope demo they have on their site.

[video]http://www.bsgt.com/technology-information/oscilloscope-view-of-qol/[/video]

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks Bruce!! I was gonna order one for inhome 30 day. I'd been talking with them for some time since RMAF.
Ted

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Last edited:

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
Thanks Bruce. The Rupert Neve looks like it might be fun to play around with. There are QOL users out there who are quite taken with it's effect. It appears the Neve would give one more precise control over how much or how little they wanted to introduce the effect and adding gain isn't mandatory as it appears it is with the QOL. I'm probably going to get one just for the fun of it and to learn something. (technically challenged user so always like learning something new)

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks Bruce. The Rupert Neve looks like it might be fun to play around with. There are QOL users out there who are quite taken with it's effect. It appears the Neve would give one more precise control over how much or how little they wanted to introduce the effect and adding gain isn't mandatory as it appears it is with the QOL. I'm probably going to get one just for the fun of it and to learn something. (technically challenged user so always like learning something new)

Congrats! You'll have lots of fun with it, that's for sure.

Robin Hood

Mar 21, 2011
For a much cheaper (and better) alternative, use the Rupert Neve Stereo Field Editor. The effect is variable where you have greater control over the effect. Also, you can vary the depth and other cool features.

I'm not sure if feeding the rear L+R speakers some manipulated output from the Portico 5014 in conjunction with the unaltered stereo signals to the front L+R speaker system would recreate something better sounding than the typical DSP processing in A/V receivers for surround sound. So for someone with a multichannel audio system, what is the best way to create surround sound from stereo analog or digital sources?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Based upon the Harley review, it seems to me that the new Lexicon piece, based upon what I heard at CEDIA, would provide a more realistic solution. Also, the designer said he didn't want to sell boxes but rather have existing hardware companies imbed the technology into their platforms. And which companies does he envision doing that?

Robin Hood

Mar 21, 2011
Based upon the Harley review, it seems to me that the new Lexicon piece, based upon what I heard at CEDIA, would provide a more realistic solution. Also, the designer said he didn't want to sell boxes but rather have existing hardware companies imbed the technology into their platforms. And which companies does he envision doing that?

The problem with the Lexicon, or some other unit with digital processing, are the necessary conversions from analog to PCM digital to analog, which for me just messes up a lot of what is so good in pure analog. Obviously digital to analog conversions are great but for me analog to digital conversions at less than 24/176.4 PCM leave a lot to be desired. I don't know if there are digital processing units that operate entirely at 24/176.4 or higher PCM or DSD64 or DSD128, but if not I would prefer to stay all analog like the QOL or Portico 5014 for analog signals.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Crap. Wish I read this thread before I ordered one.

Robert Harley's review was very convincing and I figured that BSGT wasn't advertising, but it sounds like I didn't do my due diligence.

Robin Hood

Mar 21, 2011
Crap. Wish I read this thread before I ordered one.

Robert Harley's review was very convincing and I figured that BSGT wasn't advertising, but it sounds like I didn't do my due diligence.

That may be a premature assessment. In most stereo setups the QOL will be impressive. Furthermore I believe there is be a 30-day return policy if you are not impressed or believe the difference in SQ is not worth the price.

Robin Hood

Mar 21, 2011

So was it fun or was it a disappointment?

Robin Hood

Mar 21, 2011
Congrats! You'll have lots of fun with it, that's for sure.

So was it fun or was it a disappointment?

Bruce, it doesn't seem as though arthurs pursued the Rupert Neve Portico 5014. However I noticed that the pro audio 5014 has balanced I/O. What are your recommendations for connecting the 5014 between a consumer audio preamp and amp that both have unbalanced RCA I/O? In your opinion will the complexity of such connections with the 5014 diminish the "QOL-like" sonics that have been praised in several reviews?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce, it doesn't seem as though arthurs pursued the Rupert Neve Portico 5014. However I noticed that the pro audio 5014 has balanced I/O. What are your recommendations for connecting the 5014 between a consumer audio preamp and amp that both have unbalanced RCA I/O? In your opinion will the complexity of such connections with the 5014 diminish the "QOL-like" sonics that have been praised in several reviews?

Not a problem since it has gain adjustment. With good solid connections, you will still enjoy the full effect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing