Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isolation materials

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar

Isolation materials

Does anyone have experience with the EAR ISODAMP C-1002 isolation compound, in various thicknesses? Any comparisons with sorbothane? I want to build on my existing custom TT isolation, and EAR is supposed to be the broad industry leader in isolation devices, from aircraft applications down to fine lab instrument, to which the C-1002 is supposed to apply...

Thanks
    Last edited by ack; 11-07-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    They would sound wonderful under a TT. Far better than sorbothane for various reasons.

However, this material has a problem - it gets oily with age and it marks cabinets and things. I wouldn't put it under a nice high-gloss loudspeaker for example.

Attachment 2459

This was another of my pre-Genesis days failed products. I sent Mark some of my spikes, but they failed for his application too

If you like, I can send you a few to try under your TT so that you don't waste time making any.

Thanks for the offer... On top of the 4 feet I would also need a sheet for the external VPI motor. I have located some small sheets for $30, so let me pursue this first. I also want to try it under the marble shelf that the TT sits on... Thinking about 0.25" thickness...

Thanks for the info...
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    See my thread on loudspeaker coupling/decoupling. If you use Isodamp to decouple the vibrations of the external VPI motor, the vibrations generated by the motor has to have somewhere to go, and it may travel up the belt. You want to couple the motor to drain the vibrations away.

Hmmmm, I thought Isodamp would convert vibrations to heat... it won't?
    System link WBF

Yes it will, but you have to couple the motor tightly to the material. It is usually used as an interface layer on jet engine mountings - hence the requirement for strong pressure. It is used to absorb vibrations between one surface and the other surface so that the vibrations do not transmit from one side (the jet engine) to the other side (the aircraft frame).

With the pucks I made, you place a spike on one side (the material is hard enough that the spike doesn't damage it) and this prevents vibrations from going through the spike to the equipment rack. I thought that was your application - to isolate the TT from the rack, and the rack from the TT. You don't want motor vibrations to be transmitted to your rack where they may cause sonic degradation of the other components on the rack.

Addicted To Best
    As a thought, you could try using Blu-Tack or equivalent to couple the device to the damping material. There are plenty of materials out there in the commercial world, with a huge mix of properties, which give tremendous scope for experimentation. It's all about stopping the audio components wobbling, every time you do something to minimise this it will be a win.

A winner for me and the friend has been a big sheet of premium viscoelastic mattress material, "memory foam". Get hold of the best quality you can, and play with it. As an example, a pad of it to support the friend's Quad CD, and Naim amp completely transformed the sound, in a positive sense.

Frank

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I'm with Gary on more coupling, less decoupling for motors. That motor shaft and pulley can not be allowed to wobble about which would happen on any pliable surface.

Gary, this material is incredible - how come it didn't work for you? The pointy VPI feet sink into it and a lot of noise is gone... I have three layers of defense: 1) stillpoints plus C-1002 coupling a granite shelf to the rack; 2) C-1002 coupling the VPI feet to the granite; 3) C-1002 coupling the motor to the granite. Total weight is about 120lbs. Tapping in sequence first the VPI body, then the granite and finally the rack there is quite audible reduction with every step of at least 10dB. In addition, I hear transformer buzz leaking to the stand if I stick my ear on the rack, which is not present on the granite and obviously the TT... Finally, micro-vibrations felt before by touching the motor are also gone... I am going to use this material in my garage-opener.

Would a sandbox to rest the TT on be even better?
    System link WBF

The material IS incredible. I didn't say that it didn't work - it's just that it gets oily with age, and it will mark things. I've got a lot of equipment with circular marks on the top, bottom, etc. It permanently marks almost every thing I put it on - even stainless steel. I literally have a hundred of these stainless steel pucks with Isodamp on both sides in various sizes that I still regularly use.

If your motor has spike feet, the spikes will sink into the material and it will couple. I thought that you were going to put a flat motor on top of a sheet of this, and the motor will "float". That will be decoupling the motor which I wouldn't advise. At RMAF, my turntable had these pucks under its feet, and I thought that the bass tightened up considerably.

I don't know about the sandbox. I think that the sand will compress in time, so you need to rake it periodically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast