Isolation materials

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
A couple comments... sorbothane works but can make the sound too dead sounding, depends on application. Blu Tak sounds bad imo, Mortite is far better. Better still are Herbie's products, he sells sheets, dots, etc.. of viscoelastic materials with excellent damping properties that won't mark anything.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
My thoughts here are that one must be careful that one is not being confused by a positive impact of isolation materials in conflict with how the system has been 'tuned' to have a certain sound. I have always found viscoelastic materials - eg, sorbothane - and Blu Tack positive in effect - but I have never adjusted the level of "sparkle" in other ways, beforehand. If someone was listening, over my shoulder, to a system I was opimising then halfway through the exercise they would be shaking their heads - the sound could be very sharp, bright, "in your face" ... "How can you live with this?" they might say. I would grin, and say, "We're not done yet. I've got the level of detail up to where you can hear everything, but now you can also hear all the distortion artifacts remaining - which are very unpleasant!". The next round is to kill all those artifacts, and the isolation materials play a part in that - and what then remains is the 'pure' sound of just the recording.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing