Do high end Focals have a weird sonic signature?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have heard several different models of Focals, all $30K and up, in different setups, and they all sound very strange to me. They can sound good, but just not real to me. Is it just me, or do they sound very hi-fi to others as well?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi...i have never had the chance to hear any Focals...can you describe this aberration? or compare it to: Wilsons, SF, Martin Logan, Thiel, YG...these i have heard and listen to critically. thanks...always been curious about the big Focals.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have heard several different models of Focals, all $30K and up, in different setups, and they all sound very strange to me. They can sound good, but just not real to me. Is it just me, or do they sound very hi-fi to others as well?

Caeser:

Here's the problem. Are you hearing the speaker or the ancillary components? That's esp. true if listening under unfamiliar circumstances! For me, it's hard to judge with digital sources. I wasn't a big fan of the older models but the newer "big" speakers with the Soulution electronics and Transrotor/Graham Supreme/Air Tight Supreme sounded pretty good to me.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Caesar, I have heard the larger Focals on many occassions. Like many speakers, they are very room sensitive. Like Myles said, when you heard them, were you hearing the upstream gear, the room or ? The Focals that I have heard can sound very good or very mediocre. At the recent Newport show, the big EM's were, IMO terrible... However, I believe all blame there could be laid to an amateurish set-up and abysmal room. OTOH, looking at this speaker and listening to it there , would I spend $180k for it?..No Way, BUT... In a MUCH better/appropriate Larger room-- Maybe:)

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
At the recent Newport show, the big EM's were, IMO terrible... However, I believe all blame there could be laid to an amateurish set-up and abysmal room.

Wasn't the speakers/room set up by Bob Hodas?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Caeser:

Here's the problem. Are you hearing the speaker or the ancillary components? That's esp. true if listening under unfamiliar circumstances! For me, it's hard to judge with digital sources. I wasn't a big fan of the older models but the newer "big" speakers with the Soulution electronics and Transrotor/Graham Supreme/Air Tight Supreme sounded pretty good to me.
Myles,
How do you feel about the current standmount Diablo speaker?
Not a fan or fits in with the newer "big" speakers.

Cheers
Orb

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
At 15k it's great stand mount speaker but, IMO, not quite at the level of the sonus Faber guarneri or the magico mini 2. Focal has made great strides in blending the output of their cutting edge beryllium tweeter for it to better integrate rather than stand out as it did in the first models that used this tweeter. That being said, I still feel that it falls short in the mid range compared to the two aforementioned rivals. On the other hand, the diablo is probably the most detailed of the 3. Anyone willing to drop 13k on a mini monitor ought to carefully audition it not only against it's more expensive competition but against cheaper contenders as well such as the dynaudio confidence c1. While many may question the value that such high priced mini monitors bring to the table, it's truly amazing how these diminutive beauties perform not only in small rooms but in larger settings as well.

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Wasn't the speakers/room set up by Bob Hodas?

I don't think so - it was a dealer room with Burmester electronics, and I agree that it was one of the worst sounding rooms I went into at Newport. I thought that the set up was just plain wrong, but then again, there wasn't the space to set them up right.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I don't think so - it was a dealer room with Burmester electronics, and I agree that it was one of the worst sounding rooms I went into at Newport. I thought that the set up was just plain wrong, but then again, there wasn't the space to set them up right.

I agree--that Burmester/Focal room was dead to me. Certainly not making music.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
At 15k it's great stand mount speaker but, IMO, not quite at the level of the sonus Faber guarneri or the magico mini 2. Focal has made great strides in blending the output of their cutting edge beryllium tweeter for it to better integrate rather than stand out as it did in the first models that used this tweeter. That being said, I still feel that it falls short in the mid range compared to the two aforementioned rivals. On the other hand, the diablo is probably the most detailed of the 3. Anyone willing to drop 13k on a mini monitor ought to carefully audition it not only against it's more expensive competition but against cheaper contenders as well such as the dynaudio confidence c1. While many may question the value that such high priced mini monitors bring to the table, it's truly amazing how these diminutive beauties perform not only in small rooms but in larger settings as well.

Thanks for the info and very interesting, maybe its time for them to update their standmount design as this sector has become even more squeezed in the high end with other manufacturers such as Crystal Cable, Vivid Audio, new Sonus Faber,etc.
Thanks
Orb

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
The diablo is a relatively new model, the baby of the same range of speakers that include the 180k utopia em, the 90k Stella utopia em and the well reviewed and highly praised 50k maestro utopia. Also, while not cheap at 13k, the new magico q1 tips in at 25k and the just released guarneri evoluzione will set one back 21k.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
All speakers have a "sound" I suppose. I also think any speaker can be made to sound weird. I don't think I've ever heard them set up by the local dealer where they've ever sounded "weird". Come to think of it. I'm quite sure they've always set them up very well.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi...i have never had the chance to hear any Focals...can you describe this aberration? or compare it to: Wilsons, SF, Martin Logan, Thiel, YG...these i have heard and listen to critically. thanks...always been curious about the big Focals.

I thought the Focals are fairly coherent, much more so than the Logans with an active woofer or the Thiels or the Sashas. However, they seriously lack transparency of any of the brands you mention. Additionally, it sounds like the transients have really been goosed up and treble has been rolled off such that cymbals lose their crystalline shimmer. The bass is articulate, but warm - seems like someone eq'd the bass up, while turning down the treble.

These are just one man's observations. I completely agree with others that it could be the room, ancillaries, or setup - fully or partially contributing to the sound in my description. But if it's not, I'm surprised people are paying $30k, $50k, $90K+ for this type of sound.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...good to keep that in mind, if i ever hear them for myself.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
If all goes well, I will get to hear the Grande Utopia EM's at Boulder's factory after RMAF. While I have not heard the current generation of Focals, I can say if they are anything like the previous generation, they are HIGHLY affected by upstream gear. What I have heard (from people whose ears I trust) is that the new generation is even more sensitive to upstream gear as well as room design and over all power....unless you have carefully matched gear I doubt that any pair will sound good in a poorly setup room, with mismatched gear or sorry a** power.....and, I would NEVER trash a speaker/amp/cable, etc based on a show hearing. My one audio show (RMAF 2006) was proof of that....Walker's room was seriously hamstrung by a dreadful pair of speakers. I got to hear a Walker TT much later and it was stunning..if I had based my future interest in a Walker TT based solely on that hearing, I would have made a serious mistake...

I will report on the sound of the Focals at Boulder's plant as I will be paying extreme attention to my impressions....after all, the Grande Utopia EM's are one of several speakers on my short list...

Cheers,

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I heard the grande Utopias twice, once with constellation, once with ARC. Both with Metronome Kalista and TA ref cables. Tremendous scale and bass power...not a must-upgrade reaction but certainly can see this speaker being an integral part of a phenomenal system.

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I heard the grande Utopias twice, once with constellation, once with ARC. Both with Metronome Kalista and TA ref cables. Tremendous scale and bass power...not a must-upgrade reaction but certainly can see this speaker being an integral part of a phenomenal system.

I use Focal Grand Utopia III EM and....for me it is the best and no other speakers are even close but....
most presentations which i heard before and later was bad or very bad....why?

Speakers needs about 1000h playing to full warm up. At shows there are new speakers or demos which has 100-300h playing time
or even not!! They can not sound good.
At rear wall there are set ups of drivers. Tweeter can has -,0,+ level and the same 3 positions of Slope.
In my both are minus.
Speakers are very sensitive of room acoustic. I had to make profi acoustic adaptations.

My speakers plays with top burmester pre 077+external power supply+2x 911mk3 factory monoblocks.
This set is not sensitive for interconects but very sensitive for power cables.
With Acrolinks or Siltechs sounds to sharp but with Anacondas Z-Trons sounds great, soft, velvet.
Speaker cable are MIT Oracle MA-X SHD and source is top Metronome set.
NO any silver cables.

If anywhere Grand Utopia with Burmester sound bad means that speakers were not warm up, wrong adjustable at rear wall of speaker, bad acoustic
of room.
But some people like other kind of sound.
It is not boring sound like Tannoy or some other speakers.
Focals sound deep with great bass, great body and feeling of music.
Some likes steaks, some fishes, some pizza. That's live

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I haven't heard the big Focals, but the ones I have heard struck me as being a bit hot in the upper midrange. That can cause all kinds of strangeness -- in tonality, imaging, percieved transient response. I typically (though not always) prefer fabric tweeters. If I'm going to get coloration in that area (and I am) I'll take it on the dark side, not the bright. But this comes from Mr. all digital all the time. They could sound fabulous with vinyl.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing