Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: 2X DSD streaming from my server thru the Playback Designs MPS-5......WOW!!!

  1. #1
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,688

    2X DSD streaming from my server thru the Playback Designs MPS-5......WOW!!!

    this is the future of state of the art digital playback, very near master tape performance from digital. don't confuse this with KORG 2X DSD; this is the real thing with an amazing master tape as the source mastered to 2X DSD optimally and played on a normal consumer machine and a normal server. up till now you had to have a pro studio to hear this.

    it's played with J River 'beta' software downloaded from their website. no; i don't know the details of the software or how to load it. my son, the network engineer, does all the heavy lifting for me and i just hit 'play'. you could contact Jonathan Tinn at Playback Designs and he could answer any questions.

    it's easily the best digital i have ever heard.

    sorry i cannot share info about the music, but if you've wondered how good digital can get, it can get this good.

    anyone local in the Seattle area is welcome to come on over and i'll play it for you.

  2. #2
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Lightbulb Not entirely certain...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    ...very near master tape performance from digital.
    but if this is what Sonny and I heard in Jonathan's room at THE Show in California, I was ASTONISHED at how well DSD acquitted itself relative to the analog tape master.

    Indeed, the DSD presentation may have eclipsed its vinyl complement!
    Vbr,

    Sam
    SPQCV

  3. #3
    [Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by c1ferrari View Post
    but if this is what Sonny and I heard in Jonathan's room at THE Show in California, I was ASTONISHED at how well DSD acquitted itself relative to the analog tape master.
    Actually what you and wonderful Sonny heard was DSD64 not the DSD128 that Mike is talking about. DSD128 is also known as 2x DSD.

  4. #4
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Thumbs up Well

    Quote Originally Posted by jtinn View Post
    Actually what you and wonderful Sonny heard was DSD64 not the DSD128 that Mike is talking about. DSD128 is also known as 2x DSD.
    Jonathan, the DSD presentation -- DSD64 -- in your room in California, and the DSD (unsure which type) I was privileged to hear at Oasis Mastering in Los Angeles are my benchmarks for excellence in digital reproduction.

    My enthusiastic compliments for this achievement
    Vbr,

    Sam
    SPQCV

  5. #5
    [WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    [Technical Expert] Bruce B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    6,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    sorry i cannot share info about the music, but if you've wondered how good digital can get, it can get this good.

    anyone local in the Seattle area is welcome to come on over and i'll play it for you.
    Glad you liked it Mike...
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA


    Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

  6. #6
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Glad you liked it Mike...
    like pretty much anything else you have ever done.

    thanks Bruce. i'd love more like that.

  7. #7
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Talking I daresay

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Glad you liked it Mike...
    Your contributions were prominent in Jonathan's room in California, too, Bruce

    Kudos
    Vbr,

    Sam
    SPQCV

  8. #8
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    this is the future of state of the art digital playback, very near master tape performance from digital. don't confuse this with KORG 2X DSD; this is the real thing with an amazing master tape as the source mastered to 2X DSD optimally and played on a normal consumer machine and a normal server. up till now you had to have a pro studio to hear this.

    it's played with J River 'beta' software downloaded from their website. no; i don't know the details of the software or how to load it. my son, the network engineer, does all the heavy lifting for me and i just hit 'play'. you could contact Jonathan Tinn at Playback Designs and he could answer any questions.

    it's easily the best digital i have ever heard.

    sorry i cannot share info about the music, but if you've wondered how good digital can get, it can get this good.

    anyone local in the Seattle area is welcome to come on over and i'll play it for you.
    Mike ,
    Did you have the same recording in DSD and 2X DSD to compare the versions? It seems to me this would be a very important point.

  9. #9
    [Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by c1ferrari View Post
    Jonathan, the DSD presentation -- DSD64 -- in your room in California, and the DSD (unsure which type) I was privileged to hear at Oasis Mastering in Los Angeles are my benchmarks for excellence in digital reproduction.

    My enthusiastic compliments for this achievement
    Thank you very much Sam!

  10. #10
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,688
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Mike ,
    Did you have the same recording in DSD and 2X DSD to compare the versions? It seems to me this would be a very important point.
    i have had the source tapes of this recording in my room so i know how the source compares to the 2x dsd digital version. i have not heard a regular dsd of this particular recording; however i have been in Bruce's room and heard various sources thru dsd and 2x dsd so i have a good sense of the difference. and i'll likely get a regular dsd copy of this recording at some point.

    this particualr recording is one of my most played references on vinyl and i know every note and inflection so i have as good a feel for it as is possible.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Playback Designs MPS-5
    By Steve Williams in forum Playback Designs DACs and Players Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-27-2016, 10:05 AM
  2. Playback Designs updates
    By caesar in forum Playback Designs DACs and Players Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 11:38 AM
  3. Simaudio Moon 650D compared to Playback Designs MPS-5
    By Orb in forum Digital Audio Forum: DAC, Transports, Digital Processing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
  4. Playback Designs 3 Series / USB-X Press Release
    By jtinn in forum Industry Events And Announcements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 03:09 AM
  5. California Audio Show Invitation from Playback Designs!
    By jtinn in forum Industry Events And Announcements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •