guilty pleasure; Nagra IV-S

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Must be something in our weather in the Pacific Northwest that leads to these addictions. Perhaps lack of vitamin D has something to do with it?

Amir:

I don’t think it’s the region or our lack of sunny days.

Using scientific method of finding the root cause of the phenomena, I may suggest you look into Mike’s behavior of last three years or so.. closely. I was fine and normal until I visited his barn about that time.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Amir:

I don’t think it’s the region or our lack of sunny days.

Using scientific method of finding the root cause of the phenomena, I may suggest you look into Mike’s behavior of last three years or so.. closely. I was fine and normal until I visited his barn about that time.

Tape zombie!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I'm with you, Mike...

honestly, i have seen the QGB adapters but don't exactly understand how they work. i do realize one feature of the IV-S is it's mic preamps.

.....and then maybe do recording or use it to have the ability to take tape recordings to places they don't have them (imagine that!).

and sure; if i sell it at some point......

I'd have to learn how to use it, too. Ki's advice is sound -- haha...check out the recordist using the QGB ;) It is SO awesome that there is interest in live recording in your neck of the woods. I'm trying to connect with like-minded folk down here.

The mic pre's on the IV-S are indispensable for the location recordings I envisage :p
Should your IV-S ever come my way...I would take care of it :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Mike:

...the world of collecting mics is worse than the TDA illness we are currently fighting...

Recognition...is the first step to recovery, hehe :rolleyes:

Oh, yes...mic selection...mic technique...mic placement...
Oh, did I mention there were tubes in some of those mics :cool:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Mike - it IS a nice catch indeed!, those buying-temptations do not appear that frequently... So be it! Congrats!.. (all you are hearing is the voices of envy my friend) :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
As they say, we all start as a simple "piker" and then boom... turn into a "monger" before we know it...

Gary is also showing early signs of the TDA symptoms... I might add.

I must stop visiting Mike's barn..... before I catch it too!!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
With your vinyl collection you're exhibiting symptoms now!!!

Bruce:

It took a trip to Denver to meet Gary K in person when we live in the same city, practically. While visiting his room, I did my best under the very difficult circumstances of RMAF to plant a small seed in Gary's mind that he needs tapes to maximize demoing of his fine speakers... Since he won't be visiting the "barn" anymore ;-), he will go to your studio or come to my place and will probably get infected sooner or later...

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bruce:

It took a trip to Denver to meet Gary K in person when we live in the same city, practically. While visiting his room, I did my best under the very difficult circumstances of RMAF to plant a small seed in Gary's mind that he needs tapes to maximize demoing of his fine speakers... Since he won't be visiting the "barn" anymore ;-), he will go to your studio or come to my place and will probably get infected sooner or later...

.... and the seed is germinating. There's a clean Studer A807 available in Seattle........

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
You're evil. Evil. :)
Gary
I mainly read posts only on real to real of the forum after I turned my interest to R2R, if you still a Diyer you should to be too because there are a lot of unknown in there, I am going to the coming CES with some tapes which we recorded and who will be there too ?
tony ma

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary
I mainly read posts only on real to real of the forum after I turned my interest to R2R, if you still a Diyer you should to be too because there are a lot of unknown in there, I am going to the coming CES with some tapes which we recorded and who will be there too ?
tony ma

Sigh! Both Ki and Bruce are right..... I started reading the posts on reel to reel after I visited Mike's barn.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
i might as well go to work as read this forum.....it's all my fault there too. ;)

Hi Mike:

I thought I heard a NHK TV reporter (in Kobe Japan) mention your name this morning when he was explaining historical backgrounds of what led to the current Italian financial crises.,, It could have been my low language skill with sketchy comprehension of the report, but I could've sworn...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike:

I thought I heard a NHK TV reporter (in Kobe Japan) mention your name this morning when he was explaining historical backgrounds of what led to the current Italian financial crises.,, It could have been my low language skill with sketchy comprehension of the report, but I could've sworn...

;)

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Mike, I'm a huge fan of the Nagra pro stuff! I worked in film prior to my current occupation, still take the odd lighting job. The sound guys all wax poetic about the Nagra units, and I've always wanted a 4-s!
or even a Stellavox! (oh boy)!! but, i digress.... Have you tried spooling an excerpt of one of your 10" reels onto a 7" just to take it for a 'test drive'?
Man, one of those would look perfect sitting next to my little amp!
Cheers

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I'm a huge fan of the Nagra pro stuff! I worked in film prior to my current occupation, still take the odd lighting job. The sound guys all wax poetic about the Nagra units, and I've always wanted a 4-s!
or even a Stellavox! (oh boy)!! but, i digress.... Have you tried spooling an excerpt of one of your 10" reels onto a 7" just to take it for a 'test drive'?
Man, one of those would look perfect sitting next to my little amp!
Cheers

hi Hxt1,

welcome to WBF.

so far i've not taken the time to get any proper cables for the IV-S; so i've not listened to it at all. i got it because i just loved the way it looks. i like to just pick the darn thing up and hold it. it's so cool!

i do plan on putting together a demo reel on 7 and 1/2" reels i can take to our club meetings or other guy's homes so they can hear analog as god intended it to be heard.:)

hopefully soon i'll find all the cables and connectors i need.

and since you know John Chapman, you likely live in Vancouver, B.C......or thereabouts. if you ever wander down Seattle way you would be most welcome to come by for a listen.

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Well, I do believe I can track down those cables for ya! Do you want xlr or rca tails?
I get down to Seattle often.. we stay at The Maxwell!
Next time I'm down, I'll let you know.... now I know why there was a dearth of r2r's on Seattle Craigslist!!
Cheers
Harv, born in Clallam County, living in Vancouver!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing