Some CJ News

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Myles,

Not to long ago I set up some Symposium roller blocks under the GAT not thinking it would make much difference an sat down to read while listening to a little music. To my surprise... a difference! As you know the GAT isolates the tube boards internally so I thought if was a waste of time but not so.
Bob

Good to know...i have some HRS dampers and those nimbus feet...i use them under the Zanden and they are amazing imho...may try them under GAT. If they work, i might just stick with that as they cost much less than SRA...and i am truly happy with where i am.

Coppy

Feb 5, 2011
Sarasota, FL
Lloyd,

My guess is the HRS will do fine. Even if they are only 80% of some other "perfect" system, you're not likely to hear the difference. That's the bottom line for me... can I hear a difference. Eliminates the hocus-pocus and a bunch of spending. Although, like all of us, sometimes I think I hear things that maybe aren't really there.

Bob

Good to know...i have some HRS dampers and those nimbus feet...i use them under the Zanden and they are amazing imho...may try them under GAT. If they work, i might just stick with that as they cost much less than SRA...and i am truly happy with where i am.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Stillpoints are doing great things under my GAT and phono stage

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
ART Amps with KT1&#50.JPG

KT120 tubes..JPG

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Very good Myles

One of the few cj amps where the cages look a lot better on than without

How are you finding the sound quality of the kt120's?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Myles,

Any updates on your listening experiences with the ARTs and the KT120s? Thanks!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I can't imagine how these new valves would make to my late Premier 8A!! .. IT'S ALIVEEEE!! :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Flez,

CJ will also revamp an older Premier 8 with new Teflon capacitors...that plus KT120s...that would be an interesting experiment!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Flez,

CJ will also revamp an older Premier 8 with new Teflon capacitors...that plus KT120s...that would be an interesting experiment!

Do you know what is the difference between a cl premier 8 and a premier 8a ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Do you know what is the difference between a cl premier 8 and a premier 8a ?

From CJ Website: "The Premier Eight-A added a noise filter to the bias indicator circuit, upgraded resistors and capacitors in the voltage amplifier and bias power supplies, and improved input wiring. The Premier Eight-XS is a an Eight-A with output stage configured to use EL34s connected for triode operation.

CJ Premier 8: Introduced in February 1992, Eight-A in January 1994, Eight XS in May 1995"

The Premier 8, 8a or 8xs i believe can all be upgraded with Teflon capacitors and presumably kt120s by CJ at their factory.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I can't imagine how these new valves would make to my late Premier 8A!! .. IT'S ALIVEEEE!! :)

What have the kt120's done for the prem8a's? I am very interested as I own a pair of prem8a's with teflon caps.

Cheers

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Howdy folks, greetings from Melbourne.
Just joined the forum from a referral from Fred; saw me on audio review .com

Yes! I have tried the new KT120's from tung sol on my MV60SE and it is now in a different league! Partnered with the ACT2 preamp it drives my Quad ESL 2905's beautifully. Infact when I first discovered this back in 2010 I emailed Lew and Ed at c-j and told them all about it. From the highs to lows it's defintely a level above the trusted 6550's; and about all the tubes I have heard so far on pentode /ultralinear config. Of course my Lamm ML1.1 amps are SE tubes class A rating with just 80 watts to drive virtually anything, hence mate better with the Alexandria's.

However, the mv60se with the KT120 and Quad ESL system seem to be in full sync & full bliss together for some reason... sound far more musical than with Lamm's driving the Quads. Don't know why this is a better match? The Lamm's reproduction off the Quads is too lively for me with greater impact and more forceful notes, which I am not too fond of. I guess they match better driving the Alexandria's.

Those of you who have tried swapping the 6550c tubes for KT120's on your c-j gear, go for it! You will be pleasently surprised. Of course the c-j design team haven't yet optimized the existing circuit for the use with KT120's or even the KT90's for that matter; they still sound bloody fantastic even at half the power! just wait till c-j puts out a new power amp with KT120's with the full circuit, it will be a good run with the ARC ref 150.
I tried the ARC ref 150, and it is a very nice amplifier. Excellent dynamics and sonic launch, almost bought it, but for that price I managed to get hold of a pair of carefully used ML1.1 monoblocks, hence I settled for that. But some time soon I will get that new Audio research ref 150!

I'm heading overseas tomorrow and hope to touch base with some mates in KL & Spore, will be based there for a while. I am after a matching preamp for my ML1.1's. I prefer to keep the ACT2 partnered with the mv60se & Quad system. The Alexandria's are in a different league, hence just seems to work better with the Lamm's.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers and have a good one,
RJ

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Welcome to WBF RJ

Looks like we both have X-2's and like you IMO Lamm/Wilson combo is a match made in heaven

I drive my Alexandrias with all of 32 watts (Lamm ML3 Signature amps/Lamm LL1 Signature preamp) and plenty of head room to spare

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Howdy folks, greetings from Melbourne.
Just joined the forum from a referral from Fred; saw me on audio review .com

Yes! I have tried the new KT120's from tung sol on my MV60SE and it is now in a different league! Partnered with the ACT2 preamp it drives my Quad ESL 2905's beautifully. Infact when I first discovered this back in 2010 I emailed Lew and Ed at c-j and told them all about it. From the highs to lows it's defintely a level above the trusted 6550's; and about all the tubes I have heard so far on pentode /ultralinear config. Of course my Lamm ML1.1 amps are SE tubes class A rating with just 80 watts to drive virtually anything, hence mate better with the Alexandria's.

However, the mv60se with the KT120 and Quad ESL system seem to be in full sync & full bliss together for some reason... sound far more musical than with Lamm's driving the Quads. Don't know why this is a better match? The Lamm's reproduction off the Quads is too lively for me with greater impact and more forceful notes, which I am not too fond of. I guess they match better driving the Alexandria's.

Those of you who have tried swapping the 6550c tubes for KT120's on your c-j gear, go for it! You will be pleasently surprised. Of course the c-j design team haven't yet optimized the existing circuit for the use with KT120's or even the KT90's for that matter; they still sound bloody fantastic even at half the power! just wait till c-j puts out a new power amp with KT120's with the full circuit, it will be a good run with the ARC ref 150.
I tried the ARC ref 150, and it is a very nice amplifier. Excellent dynamics and sonic launch, almost bought it, but for that price I managed to get hold of a pair of carefully used ML1.1 monoblocks, hence I settled for that. But some time soon I will get that new Audio research ref 150!

I'm heading overseas tomorrow and hope to touch base with some mates in KL & Spore, will be based there for a while. I am after a matching preamp for my ML1.1's. I prefer to keep the ACT2 partnered with the mv60se & Quad system. The Alexandria's are in a different league, hence just seems to work better with the Lamm's.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers and have a good one,
RJ

Big D RJ

Great combinations...i used to own CJ pre with CJ MV60 as well...running SF Guarneris...so in some respects a 'parallel' set up. And today, I run Wilson X1s with CJ GAT and Gryphon Colosseum. Agree i would not run my Wilson X1s with the MV60...

Singapore has some serious audiophiles and some serious available to equipment as well. Enjoy! And Welcome!

What are you running as source?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What have the kt120's done for the prem8a's? I am very interested as I own a pair of prem8a's with teflon caps.

Cheers

I never tried them...always kept the 6550's (last ones were Svetlanas I think), still kicking myself for selling them!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Indeed.... A valves feast! :)

Well, you took the Gryphon Bel Canto back...if you ever get the Premier 8's back...go for it! CJ are great that way, and it would be truly interesting to see how far you can take the Prem 8s. KT120s and Teflon...bang!...into the 21st Century! I bet they sound amazing.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
greetings from colombo! I am here on a small mission ref to work/business, hence the delay in my reply. will be back in melbourne March 6th; being missing my family and of course my music!!! there are no live jazz events here either, going crazy, anyway work keeps us busy.

thanks for your message Steve, yes the Alexandria's sound awesome driven with Lamm amplification, infact they sound their best I guess. However with my Quad 2905's the sound was also quite good, but seems to mellow a bit with the conrad johnson. hence, I prefer to drive the Quads with c-j amplification, I don't know why this is, but there seems to be better synergy going on.

couldn't get hold of a Lamm preamp as yet, my singapore friend was not in town, but should have something ready for my return trip, as I have also left a note for him. It's a bit difficult to keep on disconnecting the preamp whenever I want to listen to the wilsons. Hey a buddy of mine just got the new magico Q5's. not bad, very nice indeed, how do you guys rate the Q5's?
well at the end of the day it is not a wilson! but for the price it's a real bargain I must say.

I am running the Walker Audio black diamond series I turntable as source, plus the meridian & c-j as transport +DAC combo. I intend on getting hold of the new REFCD8 audio research for digital playback, but them again the new Cary 300T also sounds pretty good, different sound though.
My current meridian / c-j combo is equally good, I really don't know why the hec I want to change. It's just that when I listened to the RefCD8 something seems more right in the sound, accuracy, timbre pitch, timing, presentation and layout of textures etc- it all falls neatly into place kind of. a bit difficult to explain in words... rather one would have to listen.

I also had the chance of auditioning the new digital play back systems from Wadia, which was very pleasant as well. Now I am confused as hell.
any suggestions here are welcome?

Thanks for all your messages and notes, will certainly keep in touch.
cheers, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Big Dog,

I have covered some of the same ground it seems. Compared Guarneris to Quad 2905 and went with the Gs...using CJ amplification. Respect the Magicos tremendously but prefer the big Wilsons and run with the X1/Grand Slamms. On digital, i use Zanden but have high regard for the CD8...and recommend it highly given your system, your apparent tastes from what i can glean...and also for the money. providing you wish to stick with 16/44.1, it is very, very hard to beat. Personally, i prefer my Zanden DAC which i bought second-hand...but that is a personal preference. the CD8 is great. good luck and enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing