Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Some CJ News

WBF Founding Member/Member Sponsor MylesBAstor's Avatar

Some CJ News

Got the news today that conrad-johnson is switching over to the new Tungsol KT120s for all their 6550 based amplifiers. (Lew feels that the KT120 is a nice sonic upgrade and because of the increased plate dissappation, run even more conversatively, resulting in extended tube life. The tubes are a drop in replacement for the 6550. Price is roughly the same as the 6550s (~ $100/tube).

http://www.svetlana.com/ProductHighL...spx?ProId=1341

Now how long will it be until we see cj design a tube amplifier to take advantage of the KT120 specs, eg. 150 wpc from a pair of tubes? Using the KT120s my ART would go from 275 to 600 wpc. Wooooohooo....
    Myles B. Astor, PhD
    Senior Assistant Editor, Positive-Feedback Online, www.positive-feedback.com;
    Executive Editor, www.AVShowrooms.com

Skepticism is the sadism of embittered souls.

There is something to be said in doing things wrong the exact same way every time. Itís not a good thing, but still.

WBF Founding Member/Member Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Got the news today that conrad-johnson is switching over to the new Tungsol KT120s for all their 6550 based amplifiers. (Lew feels that the KT120 is a nice sonic upgrade and because of the increased plate dissappation, run even more conversatively, resulting in extended tube life. The tubes are a drop in replacement for the 6550. Price is roughly the same as the 6550s (~ $100/tube).

http://www.svetlana.com/ProductHighL...spx?ProId=1341

Now how long will it be until we see cj design a tube amplifier to take advantage of the KT120 specs, eg. 150 wpc from a pair of tubes? Using the KT120s my ART would go from 275 to 600 wpc. Wooooohooo....
    Not so fast Myles. You don't have output transformers capable of dealing with 600 watts. I assume you mean that CJ would have to outfit your amps with new output transformers and possibly a new power transformer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Not so fast Myles. You don't have output transformers capable of dealing with 600 watts. I assume you mean that CJ would have to outfit your amps with new output transformers and possibly a new power transformer as well.
    Absolutely right Mark! I was only giving an example if my amp was "optimized" for these new tubes. But the other facts still hold true: the KT120s sound better and will last longer. I'll take that

So one wonders as I said, what's on the drawing table in Fairfax
    Myles B. Astor, PhD

There is something to be said in doing things wrong the exact same way every time. Itís not a good thing, but still.

Myles,
    Unless cj officially says that an amplifier can use the KT120 you should not swap the tubes - the KT120 takes more filament current (1.9A versus 1.6A of the 6550). If the power transformers are not prepared for this extra current you can burn them.

BTW, where did you find that the KT120 lasts longer? I have been trying to get this information, but could not find quantitative data anywhere.

WBF Founding Member/Member Sponsor
    There must be something good happening with the KT-120. ARC has switched over to them and now CJ is following suit. Maybe it is the new "super tube."

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    There must be something good happening with the KT-120. ARC has switched over to them and now CJ is following suit. Maybe it is the new "super tube."
    It is really a "super" tube. I had direct experience with the ARC REF210 - changing the tubes from 6550 to KT120 completely changed the amplifier. It became more dynamic and full bodied. This was particularly noticed with the Sasha, maybe because this speaker has a difficult impedance.

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Myles,
    Unless cj officially says that an amplifier can use the KT120 you should not swap the tubes - the KT120 takes more filament current (1.9A versus 1.6A of the 6550). If the power transformers are not prepared for this extra current you can burn them.

BTW, where did you find that the KT120 lasts longer? I have been trying to get this information, but could not find quantitative data anywhere.

Francisco:

CJ is supplying the tube to all their customers currrently using 6550s; obviously they tested them and the KT120s work

This is from the importer, New Sensor:

When used at the parameters found in existing 6550/KT88/KT90 circuits, the Tung-Sol KT120 is impervious to overload, delivering peak power with extreme reliability and long tube life. However, taking advantage of the higher current handling capacity of these tubes, a very unique and super powerful and stable amp can be designed using the Tung-Sol KT-120.

As far as longetivity, Lew said they the tubes are not running as hard as hard as the 6550s (because of the new tubes rating) and should last longer. One thing you can take to the bank: cj won't switch tubes unless they're reliable.

Listen Lew said they really liked the 6550 SED but that this tube just sound better. Not earthshattering but there's an appreciable difference
    Myles B. Astor, PhD

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Francisco:

CJ is supplying the tube to all their customers currrently using 6550s; obviously they tested them and the KT120s work
    Myles,
    Thanks! These are excellent news - I have 10 blue small cardboxes containing matched Tung-Sol KT120's on top of my old cj MV125 and was hesitating on trying them!

Addicted to Best!
    Hi Myles (and Microstrip),

Please post if you change your CJ amps over to KT120s...as a CJ fan, i would be very interested to hear how their amps sound with the new tubes in place. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post
    Hi Myles (and Microstrip),

Please post if you change your CJ amps over to KT120s...as a CJ fan, i would be very interested to hear how their amps sound with the new tubes in place. Thanks!
    Sure will. Will take a little time for the tubes to burn in plus am in the process of returning some cables so need to get used to my backup wires
    Myles B. Astor, PhD

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast