Tagging Classical music

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Often the tags are inconsistent when ripping classical music.
So you are in to some typing.
But first of all you need to know more about the work and its movements.

A nice source of information is IMSLP - Petrucci Music Library
45,394 works • 132,754 scores • 3,847 recordings • 6,551 composers

All Music Guide
Good source for classical music.
If you look up Beethoven you get over 700 entries including all WoO (Werke ohne Opuszahl).

Bit more on tagging classical: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/TG/2_Classical.html

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Many pieces are "collections" with more than one composer and/or group size. It is backbreaking to attempt to type it all in... one performer/conductor can be lost easily if they're not the headliner of the disc

Lee

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The problem is that the usual tagging "system" was developed for popular music, and simply is not well suited to classical music. I understand that there are some more-or-less proprietary systems that are designed for classical music. I think most of us try to squeeze 10 pounds of classical information into the 5 pound popular music sack.

For better or worse, I use iTunes on Windows for ripping and tagging. Playback is via the Squeezebox Touch. I've found that the online sources save a lot of typing, but I need to edit the data into the scheme that I've settled upon as a reasonable solution.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing