Vibration isolation for my VPI Aries 3

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My Zoethecus rack is not big enough to fit a Bright Star Audio sandbox, so I launched on my custom vibration isolation solution, comprised of Stillpoints and Sorbothane - remarkable and easily verifiable results with simple knuckle tapping and obviously listening:

1) Stillpoints with Hard Coat Mini Inverse Risers isolate the granite shelf from the rack - estimated reduction of -20dB
IMG_2003-2..JPG
2) Sorbothane Hemispheres are used under the VPI's feet - the feet literally sink into the Sorbothane mass; 'table is still extremely stable; estimated further reduction of another -20dB
IMG_2002-2..JPG
3) Sorbothane sheet sits underneath the motor for further isolation - whereas before you could feel the motor vibrations by simply touching it, they are now virtually gone and absorbed by the Sorbothane
IMG_2006-2..JPG

Every incremental step was tested by playing a silent track on a test LP, and every step offered measurable improvement; I cannot stress enough the effect of the sheet under the motor.

I also had an HRS S1 isolation platform in for eval, which came close to these results, but still lags. The results are expectedly significant, but I think a sandbox approach plus the Sorbothane sheet would have been even more effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing