Benz-Micro SLR Gullwing

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree it's a great cartridge, however it's much higher weight makes it incompatible with my tone arm.

Wow didn't know it's a heavy weight contender. Is it that much heavier than your Ruby?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
rockitman,
Look forward to hearing your impressions of the cartridge when you get time.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
rockitman,
Look forward to hearing your impressions of the cartridge when you get time.

Hello,

I wish I could chime in at this point. I just received my other 10" Graham arm wand to mount it, but haven't done so yet. I have been to R2R occupied as of late. Planning on mounting it this weekend. Will report back.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Have you had a chance to mount and listen to the Gullwing? I am considering this cartridge as an upgrade to my Benz M2 woodbody. Any impressions would be appreciated.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
Any chance anyone has had the chance to spend time with one of the Gullwings yet?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It's a solid sounding cart. It has a somewhat more forward presentation like sitting closer to the performance than the other carts I own...A90, Shelter Harmony and Koetsu Coralstone. My cart still isn't broken in as I perfer my coralstone now so I don't use it often. I think the SLR is a good value for the money.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
Ordered a Gullwing to try. Should have it in a week or so.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Ordered a Gullwing to try. Should have it in a week or so.

High output or lower? Look forward to you impressions--thinking of pulling the trigger for one myself. I would need the higher output version for my phono stage.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
High output or lower? Look forward to you impressions--thinking of pulling the trigger for one myself. I would need the higher output version for my phono stage.

I am going to try the high output. I have plenty of gain with my phono (BAT VK-P10) but want to try it run with less gain directly through tubes instead transformers. First cartridge I'll be able to do this with. (i hope)

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Hi trh8654:
Did you buy the Gullwing? Any comments on its preformance would be appreciated. I am about to pull the trigger on a high output one.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Hi trh8654:
Did you buy the Gullwing? Any comments on its preformance would be appreciated. I am about to pull the trigger on a high output one.

I've considered the Gullwing myself (the LPS is too heavy for my arm). I'm certain it's a "keeper", but I much prefer the older Dynascan FG based stylus profile to the new Micro-Ridge stylus, especially for setup purposes.

tb1

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Very disappointed guys. E-mailed a local dealer today to order my Gullwing he replied that "the supply of Benz cartridges is stalled, this situation has been for 9 months if not longer, so your choice would be to look at another brand such as Clearaudio or Dynavector, etc or wait a little longer to see what will happen? Sorry."
This is the first I have heard of this. Is this only in Canada or is it universal? Man am I pissed. Took me months to pull the trigger and now this. What am I supposed to do now? I need a great sounding moving coil with over .5mv of output (.7 or .8 or more would be better) . Re-tipping my M2 with Soundsmith will take months.
Anyone know a retailer with high output Gullwings in stock?

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
Very disappointed guys. E-mailed a local dealer today to order my Gullwing he replied that "the supply of Benz cartridges is stalled, this situation has been for 9 months if not longer, so your choice would be to look at another brand such as Clearaudio or Dynavector, etc or wait a little longer to see what will happen? Sorry."
This is the first I have heard of this. Is this only in Canada or is it universal? Man am I pissed. Took me months to pull the trigger and now this. What am I supposed to do now? I need a great sounding moving coil with over .5mv of output (.7 or .8 or more would be better) . Re-tipping my M2 with Soundsmith will take months.
Anyone know a retailer with high output Gullwings in stock?

Its in USA too. I see that Music Direct is out of all Benz stock. I have had the Gullwing on for a couple months and consider it better than others in its price range I have or have had here.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Its in USA too. I see that Music Direct is out of all Benz stock. I have had the Gullwing on for a couple months and consider it better than others in its price range I have or have had here.

When I enquired at NeedleDoctor about Gullwing and Ebony High output got this response:
"Hey David: We don't have them, sorry. It has been really tough for us to obtain Benz cartridges lately."
Hard to believe a major player in the high end cartridge world seems to be out of the market.
Can anyone suggest a cartridge that meets the following criteria:
1. Output at least .5mv (.7ma+ would be better)
2. Sounds good loaded at 47k ohms
3. Sound at least as good as my current Benz M2 woodbody
Does the Lyra Delos meet the above criteria?

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
When I enquired at NeedleDoctor about Gullwing and Ebony High output got this response:
"Hey David: We don't have them, sorry. It has been really tough for us to obtain Benz cartridges lately."
Hard to believe a major player in the high end cartridge world seems to be out of the market.
Can anyone suggest a cartridge that meets the following criteria:
1. Output at least .5mv (.7ma+ would be better)
2. Sounds good loaded at 47k ohms
3. Sound at least as good as my current Benz M2 woodbody
Does the Lyra Delos meet the above criteria?

In my system the Delos was much better at 100ohms than any other I tried. As far as sound, much more of a personal choice between it and your Benz. i prefer the Delos of those two. But like the Gullwing more than my Kleos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing