Benz-Micro SLR Gullwing

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have been following a thread on agon regarding this cart compared with the wood body LP S. The nude style body is effectively the same cart (innards as the LPS) save for the body. It also seems to be a tremendous value (almost $2k less than the LPS). As an A90 user and lover, would I like this cart too ? I would be using it on a Graham Phantom II Supreme 10".

Looking for more opinions... hopefully positive for this cart. Thanks to Mike L, I have lost interest in the VdH Colibri...:cool:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
For some reason I thought this was about a Mercedes/McLaren SLR Gullwing... go figure...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Christian, the A'gon thread is interesting. I am now curious about the SLR myself. IF it can hold a candle to the LPS it's a winner IMO. BTW, I heard a VDH Colibri on a fellow 'philes system last weekend and it was very nice. The cartridge was mounted on a Schroder arm and this was in turn mounted on a vintage Nak TX-1000 TT. We were demoing the new Estelon speakers and the combo sounded fine.
As I have stated before in many posts, IMHO the best way to decide if a piece of equipment is for you is to listen to it yourself; by deciding on gear from a fellow 'philes reaction or opinion may leave many a good piece out of the running.
( even if that fellow 'phile is Mike L :) )

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Christian, the A'gon thread is interesting. I am now curious about the SLR myself. IF it can hold a candle to the LPS it's a winner IMO. BTW, I heard a VDH Colibri on a fellow 'philes system last weekend and it was very nice. The cartridge was mounted on a Schroder arm and this was in turn mounted on a vintage Nak TX-1000 TT. We were demoing the new Estelon speakers and the combo sounded fine.
As I have stated before in many posts, IMHO the best way to decide if a piece of equipment is for you is to listen to it yourself; by deciding on gear from a fellow 'philes reaction or opinion may leave many a good piece out of the running.
( even if that fellow 'phile is Mike L :) )

Great advice. Only caveat is that at least it gives one a list of gear to investigate. But even then, things tend to fall through the cracks :(

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Having demo'd both in my system, I bought the LPS but I could understand choosing the SLR. The SLR possesses a little bit more of the diaphanous flavor of the similarly priced Clearaudio Da Vinci but like the Da Vinci, doesn't have quite the weight and tone color of the LPS. I thought the LPS had a slightly deeper (but not wider) soundstage. The Da Vinci had the widest soundstage of the three. YMMV

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Having demo'd both in my system, I bought the LPS but I could understand choosing the SLR. The SLR possesses a little bit more of the diaphanous flavor of the similarly priced Clearaudio Da Vinci but like the Da Vinci, doesn't have quite the weight and tone color of the LPS. I thought the LPS had a slightly deeper (but not wider) soundstage. The Da Vinci had the widest soundstage of the three. YMMV

I love the fact that even at 58 years of age I am discovering new words.....DIAPHANOUS! Thanks jazdoc!:)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
well I bought one. I'm picking up my second arm tube to mount it on today so I will be able to make comparo's between this and the A90 using the same arm/table. Will report back.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I live on the poorer side of Benz town. I have the Glider SL and I happen to think it is a very good cartridge. It does make me wonder what one gets as you ascend the scale. I have to admit I’m tempted to buy a Colibri XGP from the guy on Audiogon who sells new ones from the Netherlands for around $2500. I have owned Van den Hul cartridges in the past and always liked them.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I live on the poorer side of Benz town. I have the Glider SL and I happen to think it is a very good cartridge. It does make me wonder what one gets as you ascend the scale. I have to admit I’m tempted to buy a Colibri XGP from the guy on Audiogon who sells new ones from the Netherlands for around $2500. I have owned Van den Hul cartridges in the past and always liked them.

Benz does make a great cartridge. Years ago, I auditioned the Glider and compared it with the next step up, a wood bodied Benz. I went with the wood bodied Benz because I felt it was significantly better in that it put more meat on the bones, gave instruments more weight and body, and sounded very balanced top to bottom. I have since upgraded to their Ruby ZH, a zebra wood bodied cartridge that is fully S-Class. Second from their top of the line cartridge that lists for $4,000 but can be had substantially less via the trade in program in place. What you get is a similar house sound, but more of it and with added refinement across the board.

If you truly enjoy the sound of Benz, I would recommend trading the glider in for a wood bodied Benz. I really think you'd love it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
There is no doubt that I truly enjoy the sound of Benz and I do like more meat on the bones. Less meat on the bones makes it sound more like digital and less like analog.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There is no doubt that I truly enjoy the sound of Benz and I do like more meat on the bones. Less meat on the bones makes it sound more like digital and less like analog.

To my ears, the best Benz is still the LP-S. Sounds spectacular in the Clearaudio arm/table combo.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
How about the Benz Micro Ebony L S?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
To my ears, the best Benz is still the LP-S. Sounds spectacular in the Clearaudio arm/table combo.

That's what attracted me to the SLR Gullwing. Same cart as the LP-S minus the wood body and $2K less. I'm sure the wood imparts it's own sound character to distinguish it from the SLR.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's what attracted me to the SLR Gullwing. Same cart as the LP-S minus the wood body and $2K less. I'm sure the wood imparts it's own sound character to distinguish it from the SLR.

I dunno. I was offered one for review a while back by the late Allen Wright but then never heard back. Assumed that was because Garth picked up the cartridge in the meantime.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing