Got $150,000?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here's engineer Aleks Bakman's entry into the turntable market:

http://onedof.com/

Lee

Didn't sound too good at RMAF. In fact, couldn't get out of the room fast enough :( Was really hoping to hear a real breakthough; instead was really bright and thin (among other things) used with the Momentum amp, Aesthetix and SF Stradivari Homage.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Bling,Bling!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Bling,Bling!

Thing is the designer has some pretty good credentials. Being as it's his first stab, maybe he can work on the product and really realize the design's potential. But certainly the Triplanar and Benz LP-S shouldn't sound bright :(

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Didn't sound too good at RMAF. In fact, couldn't get out of the room fast enough :( Was really hoping to hear a real breakthough; instead was really bright and thin (among other things) used with the Momentum amp, Aesthetix and SF Stradivari Homage.

Myles

I agree 100%. In fact he was the only one in the room at the time I went in with mep. The TT is striking but when Alex told me it is $150K, I couldn't wait to leave

I have pictures of his room in the Thread I started here

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...hts-Of-RMAF-2011&p=71106&viewfull=1#post71106

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

+1 (but not aware of the MSRP)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I couldn't agree more. I hated the sound in this room and was frankly surprised given the components in the room outside of the turntable. Roger nailed it. The turntable screams "Bling!"

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Bright and thin...using SF Stradivaris and Momentums? ouch...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Curious if anyone talked to him, and queried if HE was happy with the sound: if yes, what chance is there of there being improvements to the character of the sound produced by this component ...

Frank

Oh yeah.....know how hard it is to tell an exhibitor that the left and right channels are reversed? :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bright and thin...using SF Stradivaris and Momentums? ouch...

and a Benz cart! Making these sound bright enough to make our friends want to run out takes some skill!

I'm still trying to understand how a table made of these materials, with liquid damping at that could tip the FR so much in that direction at all. Strange stuff this.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Could be as simple as the metal ring clamping down the edge of the record: it's supposedly spaced by a couple of o-rings from the platter to centralise it, and a resonance could be stimulated in the metal ring because of that combination of materials in that configuration, and transferred to needle. Presto, disturbingly bright sound. Engineering is no easy business, even for the most experienced and qualified ...

Frank

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Problem is how much is the Continuum Caliburn?
If I remember they may be similar prices and this means they are trying to take on one of the established high end and recognised SOTA/quality turntable manufacturers and product.
Makes it difficult to break into its market as a newcomer even without the problems.

Cheers
Orb

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The cheap little table that Roy Hall had in his room sounded far better than the OneDoof. I think it was under $300.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The cheap little table that Roy Hall had in his room sounded far better than the OneDoof. I think it was under $300.

One has to give Roy kudos (and not just for his taste in single malts ;) ) He continues to produce inexpensive audio products that deliver a lot of bang for the buck. He flies under the radar with basically the only attention given by Tom Gillette. I remember 30 years ago comparing the first California Audio Labs CD player (that received praise up the wazoo) vs. his $400 turntable (and comparably priced). Roy's tt kicked the CAL in the ass and right out the door. It was actually kinda sad.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i remember around that same time, STereophile reviewed the Sumiko Blue point special and said it helped produced better music for $250 than the $14K ML 31.5DAC. i suppose at the nascent stage of digital this was to be expected...funny now that SOTA digital is less expensive than SOTA TT!!!!!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i remember around that same time, STereophile reviewed the Sumiko Blue point special and said it helped produced better music for $250 than the $14K ML 31.5DAC. i suppose at the nascent stage of digital this was to be expected...funny now that SOTA digital is less expensive than SOTA TT!!!!!!

What do you consider SOTA digital? DCS? Playback design? Weiss? Stahltek? Constellation? Or something else. None are cheap dates.

I'd gladly put all of them up against something like the VPI Classic 3 combined with say a $5K Allnic Puritas, ZYX Omega or Lyra Titan i cartridge :)

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What do you consider SOTA digital? DCS? Playback design? Weiss? Stahltek? Constellation? Or something else. None are cheap dates.

I'd gladly put all of them up against something like the VPI Classic 3 combined with say a $5K Allnic Puritas, ZYX Omega or Lyra Titan i cartridge :)

That's cruel Myles! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing