Spotify--The True Paradigm Changer

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have been using Spotify in its free form for several months and have basically shifted from Pandora because of the ability to find specific songs as opposed to genres. Last week I finally upgraded to Spotify Premium for $9.99/mos and my audio listening habits have changed dramatically already.

What one gets for the extra $10/mos is no commercials, no time limits AND mobile and better bit streams. The first two enhancements speak for themselves, but the second two may need a little explaining to understand how great they are. Connect your iPhone or Droid into your car system and you now have your entire music library wherever you go, plus the option to explore millions of other songs.

However, for people on this site the increased bit rate is the reason to go this way. The audible enhancement is obvious, even to to those listeners who proclaim that they cannot hear the difference between your big rig and their iPod. But here is the best reason of all. Spotify will take your playlists from iTunes and then draws on the tracks from their database and stream hi res files when available. I did a direct AB using a hard connection to my hard drive and compared the MP3's played back through iTunes and Spotify using the iTunes playlist. No more concern about Amarra or waiting for iTunes 11. This is the way to go.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Spotify rocks. You're absolutely right, it's a paradigm shift.

Tim

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
I pay the extra just for the 320 kbps stream, but I live in 'Rip-Off Britain' where we have to pay £9.99 per month. It's my main source of music, and I don't regard it as simply a convenient way of discovering new music that I will later buy on CD. I went through a phase of listening to my CDs rather than Spotify when my broadband went down for a while, and perceived no improvement in quality. It seems to me that a quiet PC with good sound card and active crossover software, running Spotify, is pretty much the dream machine for the music enthusiast.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
As a swede I have used Spotify since the beginning, mainly for discovering new music. I hope they can survive when Apple muscle up iTunes and starts delivering a similar service...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't expect Apple to deliver a similar service. Apple is going the way of the cloud -- to deliver your entire iTunes library everywhere you go. Cool, but just your library, not the world's. I think the biggest threat to Spotify is its own business model, not iTunes. If they can't get enough people to sign on for the premium service, they can't make enough money.

Tim

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
I don't expect Apple to deliver a similar service. Apple is going the way of the cloud -- to deliver your entire iTunes library everywhere you go. Cool, but just your library, not the world's. I think the biggest threat to Spotify is its own business model, not iTunes. If they can't get enough people to sign on for the premium service, they can't make enough money.

Tim

Apple Plans Web Radio Challenge to Pandora:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/technology/apple-plans-to-challenge-pandora-in-web-radio.html

Maybe not as versatile as Spotify if the article is correct.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I'm using Qobuz, as they stream in lossless FLAC at 44.1/16, after having used Spotify a lot. And yes, a total paradigm changer. Have used Spotify for about two years, since the start, and Qobuz since they launched the lossless streams.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Funny I started a thread today on this very subject ... Interesting

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing