Audio Research REF 250 amps

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have recently had the opportunity to listen to these new amps from ARC. In my opinion they are the best this company has ever produced. They are incredibly clear and dynamic with seemingly endless headroom and at the same time without any harshness or fowardness. I heard them up against a few of my current favorite tube amps and they are truly something special. They have a sense of dynamics that is unsurpased in a tube amp yet they never seem to be pushed or give you the feeling they are running out of "gas" Bravo ARC

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...that is saying something, though Steve is by far the better authority on the big amp. I also wonder if they discontinued the 610T...because they are going to announce a 650 in the next 12-18 months?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well I owned the Ref 600 Mk lll even though Dave Gordon tried to dissuade me. The 70 tubes in the amps and preamp resulted in my putting in a 3rd Central air conditioner for just my room. It sure sounded great however

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dave Gordon from ARC told me at RMAF a week ago that they discontinued the 610T because the Ref 250 is a better amp

A very good friend of mine here changed his 610T for a Ref 250 and he tells me sound quality has definitely improved though he still feels the 610T gives out ultimately a sense of more power and ease, understandably. Though in my perception, the comparison can still boil down to differences in tube used, the 6550 vs the KT120, aside from the obvious design improvements. Clearly, it shows that the ARC people do not feel too confident about the 6550 tube. I am not a fan of the 6550 either.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
But hasn't ARC used the 6550 until the Ref250

With the exception of the D-90, yes. There seems to be a problem now with current production 6550 tubes. SED 6550s have dried up and the rest of the available new production 6550 tubes seem to have issues. It seems that OEMs are migrating to the new KT-120. The guy that I sold my Jadis Defy 7 MKII to just emailed on Monday complaining that he blew two of the Gold Lion reissue KT-88s. He has had the amp since June and never checked the bias. His tech charged him $1000 to replace the tubes and two cathode fuses. What a rip. I'm just glad it's not my problem anymore.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
But hasn't ARC used the 6550 until the Ref250

Steve, ARC has been 'updating' 6550 units of VS115 and even the 610T since last year with KT120 tubes and upping the price as well for such changes. Same old models but 2 different set of tube types, prior to the Ref 250.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Steve, ARC has been 'updating' 6550 units of VS115 and even the 610T since last year with KT120 tubes and upping the price as well for such changes. Same old models but 2 different set of tube types, prior to the Ref 250.

But still ARC uses the 6550 as the voltage regulator instead of the KT120 in their new amps and preamps.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
But still ARC uses the 6550 as the voltage regulator instead of the KT120 in their new amps and preamps.

But it doesn't matter because the 6550 is only used as a voltage regulator and does the job just fine.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
With the exception of the D-90, yes. There seems to be a problem now with current production 6550 tubes. SED 6550s have dried up and the rest of the available new production 6550 tubes seem to have issues. It seems that OEMs are migrating to the new KT-120. The guy that I sold my Jadis Defy 7 MKII to just emailed on Monday complaining that he blew two of the Gold Lion reissue KT-88s. He has had the amp since June and never checked the bias. His tech charged him $1000 to replace the tubes and two cathode fuses. What a rip. I'm just glad it's not my problem anymore.

I think that the availability problem with the 6550c is partially due to distribution, as in the past we could easily get original Svetlana / SED 6550C manufactured in the St. Petersburg factory in Europe.
But I too prefer the KT120 - a month with the ARC REF150 spoiled me. Easily one the best sounding amplifiers I ever used. Unhappily my Soundlabs need more power.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing