OLD JFRD amps for mid/hi

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Hi guys
I was looking for a amp that mates well with ATC mids and there is a local Model 2 for sale and was wondering if these amps have been used by some of you gents before?
thanks

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
IMO, the model 1,2,8 and 9 were the sweet spot of Jeff's line in the last 20+ years. I own the model 8 with choke and believe that even today it is more than competitive with many other current ss contenders. I was listening to a Halcro a few days ago, again IMHO, the model 8 put it to shame.
If the price is right, I do not see how you can go too far wrong with a model 2 in your system.:)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I owned models 1,2 and 8 - the 8 is a hell of an amp, the 2 is closer to the 8 than to the 1. You can't go wrong if price and condition are good.

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
maybe $1700 on pickup..looks in good shape.I understand 75w does not seem like much but it has heavy current.The mids are around 93db sesitivity.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
maybe $1700 on pickup..looks in good shape.I understand 75w does not seem like much but it has heavy current.The mids are around 93db sesitivity.

You should not worry of the 2 power output, it is a high current design and drives a lot of speakers above 88dB, I used Avalon Avatars, Maggies, Totem Tabu and Monitor Audio Studio 20SE with no issues. Just check the internal fuse and/or ask if it blows regulary, some early models of the 2 were very sensitive to voltage variations.

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
thanks 007
good to know
I will use it on the mid/hi only in a bi-amp configuration with krell on the lows

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Looking into a pair of model 3 mono blocks but not much info out there..
Anyone have had some
I would be curious of your thoughts

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The model 3's would not be very high on my list. They were of the same vintage as the model 5 and 7 and IMHO were easily surpassed by Jeff's later models.

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
I have heard older models from krell and they sounded good for the money. .
I figured these may also???
Lots like the model 5 n 7. So I guess I will see.
Just bought a pair.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
MCLSound, I have a PDF copy of the M3 manual. If you like more info about the amp, send me a PM with your email address, and I will forward the doc to you. G. of the

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The model 3's would not be very high on my list. They were of the same vintage as the model 5 and 7 and IMHO were easily surpassed by Jeff's later models.

DaveyF is correct, I got confused with the Model 2, which is another amp and on which I based by comment.

Forrest

Mar 19, 2014
Tallahassee
Looking into a pair of model 3 mono blocks but not much info out there..
Anyone have had some
I would be curious of your thoughts

Models 1, 3, 5 and 7 are not at all bad sounding, but you should plan on fully re-capping any of those early models since all of the electrolytic caps in those models are well beyond their lifespan. The odd number JRDG amps were more laid back sounding than the even-numbered amps, but they very are dynamic and three-dimensional sounding. Some people actually prefer the sound of odd-numbered JRDG amps to the even-numbered amps. Also, the odd numbered amps are quite reliable as well, even with their old caps still in place. At the right price I wouldn't turn down a nice pair of Model 3s. Model 5s, both late and early versions are actually quite hard to find these days. Best of luck!

BlackPR

Mar 17, 2016
I love my Model 5... and I've toyed with the idea of sending it back for upgrades. I called once to ask about price and was told (by Jeff) that there were just too many versions of the 5 (and a 6 month wait) to give me any kind of realistic estimate. Anyone who has been through this process have any feedback?

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
The problem is that the M5 is well over 25 years old. An update/upgrade would require sourcing component parts that are no longer in production, nor being stocked by suppliers... Hence, any upgrades would likely constitute a rebuild with new power supply, and circuit components.

Yes, it is likely that given time... Like in many months... Jeff might find the time and energy to rework your M5 into something exciting... But the expended time and $$$ might be significant.

Since the early 90s, Rowland as well as other manufacturers have evolved their designs... And today's products in general outperform the old ones.

Regards, Guido

BlackPR

Mar 17, 2016
It can't have been that long. I refuse to believe it. :) You make really good points. Someone earlier in this thread recommended replacing caps. I'm wondering if I should or if I should leave well enough alone.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi BlackPR, if you decide to change any component parts on your M5, I recommend to discuss with Jeff Rowland first... Else, you would be playing russian roulette with your equipment... A new-fangled capacitor may not necessarily enhance the sound... But it would make it different, and possible not as good.

Saluti, Guido

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi BlackPR, if you decide to change any component parts on your M5, I recommend to discuss with Jeff Rowland first... Else, you would be playing russian roulette with your equipment... A new-fangled capacitor may not necessarily enhance the sound... But it would make it different, and possible not as good.

Saluti, Guido

Agree with Guido. When I had my model 8 upgraded and worked on this year by Jeff we discussed the idea of a new power supply. Jeff re-enforced for me that the original choke was the way to go and suggested the upgrade path. After several months at the factory, the amp came back with Jeff's mods completed. ( Including a few caps that were replaced due to age). The sound of my "customized" model 8T is now much more resolving than just about any ss I have ever heard. Therefore, my suggestion would be to let Jeff do his magic...even though it will take some time (and money) to get completed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing