MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Without the name recognition, how much press would this really get?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
W
Without the name recognition, how much press would this really get?

Not sure what getting at Bruce :)

Would be interesting to see the price of Bret's gear? Have to wait a week :) Would be interesting if it's like the Aragon gear of yesteryear :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
W

Not sure what getting at Bruce :)

Would be interesting to see the price of Bret's gear? Have to wait a week :) Would be interesting if it's like the Aragon gear of yesteryear :)

Is that where Dan started

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Is that where Dan started

No but Dan used to design for other companies. He did some of the budget minded Aragon amps (Robbi Wesson, the designer of the TAS covers at one point, did the metalwork for the Aragon gear), and Theta did the digital gear.

Not sure where Dan actually began but at one time was part of, along with many present day high-end people, Mike Dayton-Wrights group :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What I'm getting at is amp builders pop up all the time.

While having a good pedigree, I understand Bret had a big role in the recent design of Krell gear (obviously up to Dan/Rondi being tossed out).

So I don't think he's any Tom, Dick or Harry... :)

I'm interested in seeing what he's got in store.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Bully amps..jpg

Looks vaguely familiar :)

A short clip from Bret:

The new amplifiers are 100W full Class A mono's and will retail for $14,750 per pair. The bias level can be reduced from 100W to 50w and basically 2 watts to help in conserving energy in less critical listening sessions. I have tried very hard to build everything in the USA and keep pricing down and will continue to develop products that are lower in price. These represent the high end of the Bully Sound line. A Stereo amp and Preamp are forthcoming at the same level.

The monos are built like tanks and have a huge warm and detailed presentation. I wanted to get back to the way HiFi used to sound.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't know whose listening room this is pictured above, but he's my kind of guy. Full bar in his listening room-gotta love it.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
While having a good pedigree, I understand Bret had a big role in the recent design of Krell gear (obviously up to Dan/Rondi being tossed out).

So I don't think he's any Tom, Dick or Harry... :)

I'm interested in seeing what he's got in store.
Interesting,
Miles you going to try and listen to them in the near future and if so report it an article (or here)?
As Bruce says, startups have a tough time these days in audio even if talented, although one benefit is the expertise-knowledge he can utlise to setup the marketing/sales channels.

Hope it works out well.
Cheers
Orb

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting,
Miles you going to try and listen to them in the near future and if so report it an article (or here)?
As Bruce says, startups have a tough time these days in audio even if talented, although one benefit is the expertise-knowledge he can utlise to setup the marketing/sales channels.

Hope it works out well.
Cheers
Orb

I've given it some thought :) Haven't pushed it since Bret is just a start up and probably can't sit on a lot of money/equipment being out with reviewers. But being in the area, would like to hear them. We'll know more for sure in a couple of days. When I get the press release release, I'll post it here.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, as with all businesses, that speculative 'investment' with a reviewer having the equipment and generating a strong, positive review...can be well worth it. name here will get attention...but may not convince people to part with their money. Time will tell. depending on their relationship, if Dan D "sits on the board" of the company or is considered "Special Advisor"...that probably is enough to convince people to go for it. It's like when Spielberg is an Executive Producer (but not the director or anything else). People just think its a Spielberg film.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
BTW, they look like Krells from the early 90's...cool.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Myles,
hopefully others will be interested in some kind of article that includes not just an audition but what motivated-inspired to design this product and create a startup company.
Cheers
Orb

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the link Myles,
looks like he has been very busy :)

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My gut instinct is these should sound quite good. I am no techie, but i am a big fan of Class A SS sound. For some reason, this is my instinct. Having heard Forte 4, older Krell, Gryphon, Boulder 2060, and also heard good things about Karan and Clayton, i have to imagine he is getting serious support from Dan D, and apparently getting support from Transparent.

Pls post if anyone auditions seriously! AT that price, if they sound very good, he should do well.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
As said, these are in my short list if I ever decide to scale-up from my ML333 :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing