Gryphon Colosseum

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...so I managed to find one at an attractive price [second hand/demo as with all my components!!]. Its been on my "All Time Wanted' list for years. It just arrived. Smokes!!! Wow...this is incredible. I always enjoyed my old Antileon, but being 14 years old, the piece was causing more trouble...it is still in the shop for repair. No doubt, it will be fixed and then perfect...but i just lost patience, and this was an opportunity that i could not turn down.

FWIW, i have heard Evo Ones, ARC 210, Evo 600, 900, 402, Boulder 2060 (stereo), ML 33H, and a few others. I have always preferred the sound of the Antileon, though i knew it was dark in the upper registers. I then heard an old Goldmund which did not compare in any respect...except in the treble where its clarity and pure tonality in the upper registers was an eye-opener for me.

I had heard that the Colosseum combined tonal purity, incredible slam, with that extension in the upper registers (and bass obviously)...which was far clearer and faster.

...so here we are, and it is all those things.

I am blessed to have such a system...though now that the Unit does not fit in the rack, i need 15' cables instead of 8'...so some might say "cursed"!...though i really dont think so, of course! ;)

FWIW, i have Transparent Ref (10 year old XL generation)...and i know a very, very talented cable designer (Sablon Audio) whose reference IC bested my Transp Ref IC...and i have agreed to buy one from him SE-XLR to run between my CJ GAT and the new Colosseum. If i do not use Transparent's upgrade program to get longer, newer cable...i may well go with some special Sablon Audio speaker cables...stay tuned!

If any members have a question for me on this amp since they're hard to audition, just feel free to post here, or pm me. thanks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Lloyd,
I feel happy that you reestablished your confidence in the Gryphon brand and got a much better unit. Gryphon are are excellent sounding amplifiers and now with an open and fresh mind you will appreciate it much better!
I wish you many long hours of enjoyable listening.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Microstip,

In particular thank you for all your advice over the past few months about amplification. It has been over 18 months of ups and downs. Both pre and amp are now replaced, thanks to some dealers and owners looking to sell these units.

I am enjoying it as we speak, and i take a break from work to type a few words on WBF. ;)

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Fernando...yes, it is playing now. Beautiful, tonally pure, powerful and silent. When i hear soft hiss during passages, it turns out it is the recording, not the system.

VAV

Dec 16, 2011
Hi Lloyd -

now that you have had the unit for a year, it would be interesting to hear your view - also, I'd be interested in knowing your assessment when you compared them to the Boulder 2060? What preamp did you end up settling on?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd -

now that you have had the unit for a year, it would be interesting to hear your view - also, I'd be interested in knowing your assessment when you compared them to the Boulder 2060? What preamp did you end up settling on?

Hi Vav,

I will share with you my personal experiences, no more and no less. First, i have had the Gryphon Antileon for over 2 years and the elusive repair problem has finally been fixed! Second, I have had the Gryphon Colosseum since October but i play my music probably 40 hours/week (25-30 hours on weekend and 10-15 weekdays) so I have a pretty good handle at this stage. Third, I own the CJ GAT preamp, which is far and away my favorite pre. Now - onto the details:

1. Antileon presents seemingly limitless power, extraordinarily broad, sweeping soundstage with a propulsive, tight bass that is loads of fun. The midrange has a purity of tone when you heard piano Middle C struck that is in the 'body of the note' that is rare for SS imho, and which i really, really enjoy with this amp.

This treble is dark, beautiful, extended, but dark. For example, i had a Goldmund amp in my system...very, very old amp and not on the same level as Antileon...the mids were thin with nowhere near the space, soundstage breadth and certainly nowhere near the bass power/slam. But the treble was shockingly well lit by comparison...and very, very pure. Flutes, piccolos, strings all had a purity of tone with a level of detailing that was so different (and yet felt right) in comparison to Antileon, it really taught me something.

2. The Colosseum is every bit the equal of the Antileon in the endless power (i suspect its actually much greater but who knows?), it has the purity of tone in Middle C that is a joy to listen to, but its entire treble balance is totally different. Now , the strings, piccolos, flutes all come forth like the Goldmund did but with greater balance, and a far better weight due to the superior lower treble/upper mids.

The Antileon sometimes made me feel like pound for pound, it slammed a bit harder than the Colosseum. But interestingly, the Colosseum is much more detailed in the bass, so i cannot be totally definitive about the bass slam of each...if Antileon felt like 100, Colosseum was 95 but far more detailed (and therefore Antileon may be 'wrong'). Plus, having completely recalibrated my Velodyne DD18 recently using Auralex Subwoofer Isolation Platform, i now have such ridiculously superior (and more powerful, propulsive but accurate and detailed) bass in my room, i am not interested in going back to 'dissect' the bass virtues of the 2 amps.

3. In comparison to the Boulder 2060, i listened to the Boulder on virtually the same system as i have at home...but in a different room. People did not wish to carry the 2060 to my house until i had heard it on the same system in the shop...i cannot blame them. And i know that shop room very, very well. I have spent countless hours in both rooms and have heard equipment in both rooms in very careful auditions so i know the room have a pretty good impression of the 2060 v Colosseum.

The Boulder 2060 is superior imho to the Antileon overall and definitely more competitive with the Colosseum. The 2060 and Colosseum bear much similarity in their power delivery, purity of tone, detailing and effortless presentation. I am no technie, but both are pure Class A and perhaps that is a start. In particular, the Boulder is definitely NOT dark. The treble balance is far closer to the Colosseum's. In fact, the physical elements of the entire spectrum of sound is quite similar if you were to 'grade' them: power, slam, detailing, control, bass, treble detailing, natural and neutral, etc, etc.

Where they differ is in the ease element. I feel like the Gryphon has an ease to the delivery of a staccato piano riff which i missed with the Boulder...not better, just more at ease which is my taste. I am quite confident others (with different cables, sources) could prefer the Boulder.

FWIW, if you read Jeff Fritz' review of the Colosseum, he comes to a similar conclusion, and i believe his reference at the time was in fact the Boulder 2060. He announced in the review that the Colosseum was his new reference and preferred amp over the Boulder by a hair, for a similar reason...the ease, the closeness to the music. I think Jeff also said he felt the microdynamics and soundstage of the Colosseum were more variable in the Colosseum on various different recordings than on the Boulder 2060, getting him closer to the musical message of each recording.

4. CJ GAT. Though all CJ is single-ended, I am aware that balanced is the ideal connection for Gryphon...i had my ICs reterminated RCA-XLR to get rid of any adaptors. Other than that, i would have no other preamp i can think of. I have never done the comparison, but a dealer in Asia who sells Shindo, Zanden and Wavac (but not CJ) specifically told me the CJ GAT in his opinion was a superior pre to the reference pres of these 3 manufacturers. Thus, he knowingly lost the sale...and gained my respect and future business!!!!!

Elements: super quiet, low noise floor, exceptional detail. A tonality so pure, i cannot imagine anything that would get me closer...the kind of unit you keep and stop worrying about.

Noise Floor: if i crank the volume on my pre (with no signal) to 55 out of 100 (which with signal would push the bass through 2 floors of concrete into my neighbhors kitchen...i got complaints once when i was testing the system...oops.)....the system is silent unless my ear is actually touching the foam of the tweeter.

Very quiet operation and a very, very low noise floor...probably 35%-50% more decay, detail than the CJ ACT 2

Far purer midrange, and the treble is totally different: Probably 2x better mids to treble purity, natural tonality. The treble on the ACT 2 is quite hard, stiff in a way i did not fully appreciate. The dynamic range is also quite compressed. The GAT has far greater dynamic shadings and macro contrasts...and the treble difference is detailed, hard, stiff vs 50% more detailed...and yet vastly more natural, easy to listen to...it makes me wonder what the ACT 2 was doing the whole time! How could CJ CAT 2 not have delivered the treble which is so easily coming thru the GAT "properly"? It feels like the ACT 2 is voiced incorrectly...and that says a lot to me, as i always enjoyed the ACT 2 when i had it.

5. Happy to answer any other questions.

hope that helps...my [personal] impressions.

Last edited:

VAV

Dec 16, 2011
Wow Lloyd - that was an incredibly well written, informative and much appreciated response - thank you so very much!! I hadn't considered the CJ - most what I've seen, heard and what has been showcased recently seems to be with the VAC MK2a, so that was on the list of interest. I don't suppose you have compared that preamp to your setup have you?

Thanks again for your time and feedback.

V2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow Lloyd - that was an incredibly well written, informative and much appreciated response - thank you so very much!! I hadn't considered the CJ - most what I've seen, heard and what has been showcased recently seems to be with the VAC MK2a, so that was on the list of interest. I don't suppose you have compared that preamp to your setup have you?

Thanks again for your time and feedback.

V2
Hi VAV,

thanks...always nice to be helpful to fellow Audiophiles. As for VAC, unfortunately i have not heard the VAC preamps. In my setup or in the same setup at the store, i have heard the following higher-end preamps:

- ARC Ref 3
- ARC Ref 5
- Krell Evo Two
- CJ ACT 2
- CJ GAT
- Shindo Massetto
- MBL 9010? Ref Pre (on Wilson 8s, not Slamms)
- Dartzeel

If any of these are helpful to you, let me know. Can try to make some basic observations.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lloyd,

One of the reasons why the GAT should be an excellent matching with the Gryphon Colosseum is the FET buffer of the cj preamplifier. The Colosseum has a 20 K balanced impedance - most probably it will be 10 K in single ended mode. Most tube preamplifiers will not like this type of load - looking at your list the GAT.will be the only tube unit qualified to drive the Colosseum. IMHO, the ARC's and the ACTs will prefer an higher input impedance.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Micro,

Yes, given that i was planning on CJ GAT and Gryphon Colosseum being long-term purchases, i did check. The CJ output impedance is 100ohm vs the 20Kohms input of the Gryphon Colosseum. So yes, works well! Thanks for pointing that out.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

What speakers were you using in your auditions/system?

V2

Hi VAV,

I use Wilson X1/Grand Slamms, and they had a pair in-store as well. I also have heard some of the other amps on Alexandrias (Krell Evo Ones, ARC).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing