New emoticons

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello everyone.

At long last, I got a chance to update a couple of the emoticons for our system. One is the normal smiley :), and the other, biggring :D.

To see them, hit F5 in your browser or select "refresh." Otherwise the browser will keep showing the old one.

Let me know how you like them. Over time, I will update the rest of them.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Amir,

Is there a reproducible measurement distinguishing a normal smiley from a biggring? If so, is it audible?

:)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
+1

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Amir, you deleted my favorite one! ...The regular smilie, and I don't like this newer one! (Don't like the Big Grin either).

Please, reinstate the regular smilie.

Suggestion: Leave the ones we have alone, but if you want to add some newer "cute" ones, then feel totally free. ;)

*** The normal Smilie we have before is the only one that truly defines What's Best. And you took it out!!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bob, what did you like about the old one and what not about the new one? Everyone, myself included, didn't like the old ones because they were so hard to see. Indeed, there is very little difference between them which muddies their usage.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bob, what did you like about the old one and what not about the new one? Everyone, myself included, didn't like the old ones because they were so hard to see. Indeed, there is very little difference between them which muddies their usage.

Bob I have to agree. In fact I am going to give you a medal :) .for the only guy who likes the old cuz they're so difficult to see.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Long time ago I mentioned that it was the only 'clear' emoticon (you can easily verify that by going back to that day). And that is mainly the one I always use.
- Look, I took that new one out from my sig! ...That should tell you something...

True, I don't care much for the other emoticons, but that one (regular smile), was the only one with shade (at its base, acting like a gentle support).
The only one that was so innocent and innoffensive! And like I said, it was the most clean and clear emoticon of them all.
For me it was thee Best! ...And it best defined What's Best Forum. I got used to it and I just love it!

What else can I say? I don't mind at all you add that new one if everybody else likes it,
but you don't have to delete the other one now, or do you? :(

I can write a book all about it and all the emotions I experienced in the past, from using my favorite emoticon, but I just simply won't!

This thread is about giving our opinion on some new emoticons; I just gave you mine.
And I am so honest about this that I can't even use that newer smiley emoticon because I simply don't like it; just ain't my taste that's all.

Of course, I'll go with the democracy, but is there a problem about reinstating the older 'cute' regular (normal & natural) smiley emoticon?

My deepest regards,
Bob

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
BTW, did you like that smiley I just sent you

Who, to me? :cool:

P.S. Oups.

P.P.S. I'll try my very best to get used to it. :)

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What else can I say? I don't mind at all you add that new one if everybody else likes it,
but you don't have to delete the other one now, or do you? :(
Unfortunately I did have to. The way the software works is that when you put in certain character sequences such as : followed by ), then it turns it deletes those characters and instead, puts in the graphics by a certain name. All I did was replace the graphics and the software now picks up the new one. There is no way to have the same two characters translate into two different smilies. There is a one to one relationship there that I cannot change. The only solution then is to add a new combination set of characters that point to the old smiley (which by the way, is still on the system but nothing uses it). I have not researched how to do this and since it is not a standard thing, it will likely be challenging to implement.

Of note, I am not a graphics artists. And this being a non-commercial site, we are too darn cheap to go and hire someone to design such things for us. :D The ones that you see now were designed by my nephew who is only 18 years old. He works as a graphics artist and is very good at these things. But being young, probably creates things that appeal to him. Truth to be told, I think they are a bit cartoonish but in the overall scheme of things, I erred on the side of the message being clear than the graphics having the perfect look. With the old one, it was nearly impossible to tell if someone was using regular smiley, biggrin or even frown. They all looked like yellow circles.

Your feedback is noted and as I find time I will see if there is a better bet than the one we have now.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Amir ---- Aren't there publicly available emoticons that you could incorporate?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
TY Amir!

Amir, you went all your way with your above explanation, you didn't have to, but you did,
and for that you are even a closer friend than before. Thank you!

* Those are only emoticons, they are very secondary in the audio/video messages of these forums,
and among the high level of maturity from our members and guests, and staff.
...But some of us we do get attached to their use. And some we like more...

Your nephew, say Hi to him from me!

Now, lets get back to our regular program: LIFE!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir ---- Aren't there publicly available emoticons that you could incorporate?
There were. Steve and I looked at them but didn't find them attractive since the free service of my nephew to create some. If people have suggestions, let's post them and I can just as well incorporate them.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm with you, Bob, I prefer the old ones: the new ones remind me of modern pop music, they're in your "face"!

Frank

Here you go Franky! I knew what I was talkin' about!
I studied Arts for three years, and I was top of my class in graphic design!

And you just pinpointed it right too Frank; those two new emoticons are right in 'your-face'!
Too big, and too kiddish (sorry Amir), for a mature site as this here.
Discretion is a good thing, and some emoticons fit better with some people's character.

*** Make no mistake: the one and mainly the only one I like is that old small smile one (the discrete little smile), this one:

Except that the one I just used above is not EXACTLY as the one we have before, because the one from before was darker with a better contrast, better delineated.
If you don't believe me, try it back Amir, you'll see. I checked all over for it, but couldn't find it, so I came with the same design (same emoticon), but this one is lighter, not well delineated, with less contrast.
The one we have before, was PERFECT!

That's it, I spoke my mind honestly and as a pure emotional artist, musician, and audiophile.
And that, is directly from my soul.

And TY again Frank; without your above comment I wouldn't have elaborate on it,
and some part of my soul would have still remained unknown by all here at WBF.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing