Should a dealer have a state of the art room to show their state of the art gear?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Also something no one has brought up: the leading High-end companies do not just give their gear to any old dealer. They usually undergo some sort of credit check and many manufacturers will actually visit a dealer to see and hear how their gear sounds!

Not a guarantee of anything though. I went to Dallas when the CLX was there at a dealer in the Truth in Sound Tour to hear it and it was awful. Most of the space was awful and I couldn't see how anyone could get a fair assessment and they had all the name brands.

Later hearing the CLX at other opportunities in a well treated room it was much much better.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
My favorite dealer didn't have a showroom, he brought the gear I was interested in to my house, we plugged it in, sat down, and evaluated. I always bought something because I didn't want the guy wasting his time on a house call.
When I visited SOTA show rooms whether or not I bought depended more on whether I liked the sales person than the room. Often I could by cheaper on the internet but I preferred connecting with a good sales person who could save me hours of auditioning by asking me a few questions and then suggesting something. Some of the sales people had showrooms, some I just spoke to over the phone. 100% the sales person was always the biggest factor in my decision assuming he made the right recommendation, not the room.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
There are rooms that are natural listening environments that do not need treatment.

If the room is noisy or echoes or difficult to carry a conversation without raising my voice, then regardless of selling SOTA equipment or not, as someone who comes in to listen, I would have a difficult time assessing the sound produced, and really difficult to enjoy the music.

For me, a dealer's listening room for auditioning equipment must be quiet, absent of echo and I should be able to speak to others in the room without speaking louder than normal.

Customized treatment is inexpensive. I had it done in my room last year. I am so sold on it . I have engaged the same acoustician to do acoustic treatment in a 20 foot container van where I have my weekend system.

If a dealer has a short term lease, the dealer can always use ASC or other brands of treatment that can be brought to the next site.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing