Found Music 2A3 Amplifier

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Who cares what they look like.... serious Audiophiles always listen in the dark or with their eyes closed!! :)

I do. Good sound and good looks are not mutually exclusive. Good looks are most important whent the system is static.

I would never have auditioned the ML/CLS had its looks not caught my eye.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Who cares what they look like.... serious Audiophiles always listen in the dark or with their eyes closed!! :)

Unfortunately closing my eyes only works with audio.

I should shut up now. This is a family oriented site.

Back on topic. I've not met a 2a3 amplifier that was mushy or slow. I rather relish the clear, vivid and spacious presentation of the 2a3. I just never had the right speakers for them so I sold my one and only 2a3 integrated I had built by a local builder. I do remember that they didn't sound weaker than the 300B amp I had at the same time despite the tubes measuring strong for both and the 300B set at more than double the power. I felt the 2a3 handled transients better.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Looks like after a year with my McIntoshes, that I will be going SET soon as well.

I am going to order a MasterSound first---but Sophia 845 monos would be an additional step perhaps.

KeithR

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

In the flesh, they look far better than the pictures, and they are far, far larger than I would have thought a 2A3 SET amp would be. And with the right type of music, the sound is seduction personified!

Congrats, Mike. Those are fabulous amps.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I do. Good sound and good looks are not mutually exclusive. Good looks are most important whent the system is static.

I would never have auditioned the ML/CLS had its looks not caught my eye.

Let me respond to my own post.

Overwhelmingly esthetics and and good sound have no direct correlation.

OTOH if you are going to charge 5 figures and ask Mike or Steve or Bruce for that matter to spend that much money and pace the product in their listening room and/or business it should have proper fit and finish.
Certainly the product has excellent fit and finish. Beauty however is in the eye of the beholder.

I have not seen Bruces' room.
Steves' room and Mikes' room could go on the cover of Archeological Digest or Home Theatre magazines. IMO you could use the existing photos they have already posted on the internet.

The blue light and face plate on the Pass amps are beautiful. I think the same could be said of the exotic finish on the Evolution Acoustics.

IMO the amp does not meet those standards. Perhaps you minimize costs by making it a project for a college industrial design class. Or maybe a contest.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This is certainly the designer's dilemma. I know Scott went through multiple woodworkers before finding someone who did work up to his standards.

OTOH, I've heard a number of audiophiles complain about spending excessive amounts on chassis 'bling'. I have heard this critique of my phono preamp from other audiophiles who have contacted me to inquire about them:

http://hifiheroin.blogspot.com/2011/10/shameful-shameful-shameful.html

Thankfully we have enough choices that will satisfy the budgets and aesthetic requirement of most audiophiles.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have not seen Bruces' room.

The blue light and face plate on the Pass amps are beautiful. I think the same could be said of the exotic finish on the Evolution Acoustics.

Here's your wish... Pass Labs and Evolution Acoustics!

Attachments

• Front 2..jpg
    Front 2..jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Front 1..jpg
    Front 1..jpg
    190 KB · Views: 232

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Early Christmas!

Fit for the cover of Recording Studios Monthly!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is certainly the designer's dilemma. I know Scott went through multiple woodworkers before finding someone who did work up to his standards.

OTOH, I've heard a number of audiophiles complain about spending excessive amounts on chassis 'bling'. I have heard this critique of my phono preamp from other audiophiles who have contacted me to inquire about them:

http://hifiheroin.blogspot.com/2011/10/shameful-shameful-shameful.html

Thankfully we have enough choices that will satisfy the budgets and aesthetic requirement of most audiophiles.

Mark

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ;)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
OTOH, I've heard a number of audiophiles complain about spending excessive amounts on chassis 'bling'. I have heard this critique of my phono preamp from other audiophiles who have contacted me to inquire about them:.

When I first saw the DartZeel monoblocs last year I asked Herve' what percentage of the build is aesthetics? There was so much gold plating and things that I thought that just made the unit look "pretty". He never gave me a straight answer.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Mark

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ;)

Having seen Mark’s preamps at RMAF, I wouldn’t describe them as “bling.” They look like 1930s retro gear to me. They scream out, “I’m old, I’m cool.” Or at least that is what they said to me when I saw them.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
When I first saw the DartZeel monoblocs last year I asked Herve' what percentage of the build is aesthetics? There was so much gold plating and things that I thought that just made the unit look "pretty". He never gave me a straight answer.

Bruce, that is because it was a dumb question :)

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Having seen Mark’s preamps at RMAF, I wouldn’t describe them as “bling.” They look like 1930s retro gear to me. They scream out, “I’m old, I’m cool.” Or at least that is what they said to me when I saw them.

Like their owner:D

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Can anybody tell me whether the Found Music amplifier is point 2 point wired?

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Pics please

Hi Scott
I've looked at your website and could not find any pics of the 2A3 amps. Was I missing a link? Please post a few pics if you have not done so.

Thanks
Rich Brown

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Scott
I've looked at your website and could not find any pics of the 2A3 amps. Was I missing a link? Please post a few pics if you have not done so.

Thanks
Rich Brown

Rich, this pic is the same as on page one of this thread. sorry this picture is not better. the wood on the amps blends into my maple floor and the cabinetry does not look as good in the pic as it does in person. i have some Box Furniture amp stands due to arrive next week, which are a dark hardwood. they should allow the amps to strut their stuff in pictures a bit better. when you finally move back to the left coast ;) you will be able to enjoy listening to them.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
In the flesh, they look far better than the pictures, and they are far, far larger than I would have thought a 2A3 SET amp would be. And with the right type of music, the sound is seduction personified!

Congrats, Mike. Those are fabulous amps.

thanks Gary. and in the last couple of days since your visit they have openned up more and gained grip. this morning's session with 3 hours of classical Lps spun on the NVS-Telos was other worldly wonderful. like a dream.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing