Found Music 2A3 Amplifier

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith --

One thought: all Watts are not created equal. I've had an 18 watt high powered SET manufactured by a well known high-end company that began clipping a very low volume levels in my system.

By contrast, the Found Music ~1 watt amp (using a 45 driver tube) was able to play at reasonable levels in my system and Mike's new 3 watt amps drove my system to SPL levels much greater than I will ever need.

So Lamm ML2.1s clipped and these did not? That is interesting.

I've been using the Tron soundtrack to test these areas as of late....dynamic fidelity is pretty ease to figure out on the first couple tracks.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I've been using the Tron soundtrack to test these areas as of late....dynamic fidelity is pretty ease to figure out on the first couple tracks.

I am curious as well about the Lamm ML 2.1 which I owned and I am certain I listen at much louder levels than Mark and only made them clip 2X to the best of my knowledge at near ear bleeding SPL

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Please consult an industrial design artist before bringing these ugly ducklings to market.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I see your using an Adona Zero GXT amp stand too. I notice that the leg/footer caps on top are billet aluminum. Did you special order them ? Mine came with rather simple beer can tops that are not too appealing.

Christian,

i bought both my Adona racks used, and they both have the billet tops; although one has those 'beer bottle tops' and the other has nice heavier duty adjustable buttons. the one you see in the picture is actually the bottom of a two shelf rack. i'm using the top portion of that rack for my headphones now. i actually ordered three Box Furntiture amp stands so i'll be returning the amp stand you see to underneath the single shelf. i'll take a picture in the next few days and post it so you can see what i mean.

Mike

p.s.--you'd need to e-mail Paul at Adona and ask that question.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

It wasn't Lamm and the name will be withheld to protect the guilty :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Please consult an industrial design artist before bringing these ugly ducklings to market.

in the context of my room and system; i love the look. they are simple; but the execution is elegant and finish level top notch. they look better in person that the photo's. when i have the Box Furniture amp stands (a dark wood) it won't look like it's lost on the wood floor.

but no doubt that a nice industrial design budget could be used....although i'd rather have max bang for the buck circuit development that i've recieved.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
OK I'll bite.

What are beer bottle tops on your Adona racks

the tops of the Adona rack legs have caps; these caps can support a larger top shelf; but the quality of these caps varies based on the model purchased. some are milled from Aluminum billet; and others are just pressed metal. both types of leg tops can have threaded ajustable buttons that will support a heavy top shelf or just little plated fillers that look like beer bottle caps.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Greg and Keith,

Perhaps you would like the 2 1/2 watt Oswalds Mill Audio Stereo tube amp the Parallax PL519 (2 chassis amp) and as I recall has a price of about $11 or $12K.

http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/Products/amps.html

I had the fortune of auditioning this amp at the Mill with either the OMA AC1 or AC2 and my OMA New Yorker horns before delivery as well as in my listening room when demoing the OMA Mini horns.

Rich

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just because they don't have a Breguet dial, doesn't mean they suck :cool:

Yes it Does!:eek: The problem is there is a plethora of home made amps at modest prices looking very similar.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Yes it Does!:eek: The problem is there is a plethora of home made amps at modest prices looking very similar.

well....i disagree that lack of an art factor is a problem. i've seen plenty of pretty faces that could not perform where it matters. (i don't want to name names and upset some here).

or did not have the level of development needed to perform like a finished product.

Tenor comes to mind. both the OTL and the big Hybrids had formidable performance potential. the OTL's regularly blew up and took out drivers. they never got them really sorted out completely.

in spending big dollars on stunning industrial design for the big Tenor hybrids they pushed the company to the brink of insolvency, they missed working out the stability of the product. they mostly all exploded which did deep six the company....and became very expensive doorstops....until someone came along and doubled/tripled the price and made them stable. but around $100,000 retail. (i prefer these 2a3's).

i'd rather have a Placette RVC that looks like a big wall wort, but sounds better than $10k+ preamps, than something pretty that does not sound like a million.

sure; SET amps do have a certain predictable look.....i suppose it depends on where you see the value.

i would say that build quality matters to me much more than industrial design. i won't put up with shoddy stuff.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike Sorry I made you take time out to respond to my cheeky comment.

You make excellent point(s).
Fist of all
1. Equipment should produce something that sounds as close to real music as possible.
2.Be technically correct.
3.Be reliable and have good build quality.
4.Be integrated into the living environment.

It's perfectly OK to sacrifice beauty for 1-3.
As the price increases the less sacrifices one would expect.

I cite as examples the other equipment in your system. I would expect the amps to be in the same class as your speakers and tt. Works of art in my opinion.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If it's beauty or the beast,i'll take the beast if it sounds great, my Ampex preamps are a great example,they are not 25K though. I really can't understand why high price is a prerequisite for great sound. It doesn't really matter if the amplifiers sound better then others costing 2 and 3 times as much,that's the price you pay. Good design that trumps most today is worth a premium,tomorrow is a different story.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Who cares what they look like.... serious Audiophiles always listen in the dark or with their eyes closed!! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing