Audirvana Music Server Software for MacIntosh

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Per request, I'll offer up my miniscule experience and knowledge of this software.

Audirvana is a free software music player for MacIntosh computers being used as music servers. It is available as a download here:

http://code.google.com/p/audirvana/

The latest free release is version 0.9f.

Audirvana Plus is now available, but is not free:

http://audirvana.com/

As I haven't experimented with Audirvana Plus, it would be inappropriate for me to comment upon the upgrades contained in this version.

The free Audirvana player works completely independent from iTunes. When opening the player, you see a player window and a playlist window.

The player window contains the usual play/pause, etc. controls. It also lists the bit depth and sampling rate of the current file being played. The album artwork (if you have it with the file) and the album/song names are displayed. If you have chosen "integer mode" (more later), there is also an indicator that it is active.

The playlist window has the typical add/delete functions. Clicking the "+" button opens up the listings from my hard drive and allows me to select any songs or albums I wish to play. As far as I can tell, there is no provision for you to create and save custom playlists with this software. I would suspect that you can "drag" playlists from iTunes into the player window if you wish, but I don't use it this way.

The addition of "integer" mode (also called "hog mode") bypasses the 32-bit floating HAL audio processor of the Core Audio section of the Mac. This step allows a more direct connection between the player software and your DAC, with less processing by the audio stages of your computer. That's the limit of my current understanding of the software's functions. I notice a bit cleaner presentation when "integer mode" is selected. NOTE: apparently not all DACs are compatible with the integer mode function, but many have been added through updates. The Audirvana software will check for updates whenever you open the program and take care of that quickly with the click of the "Yes" box.

You may also choose to use "memory play", which plays the file from RAM rather than the hard drive. This choice eliminates the mechanical operation of the hard drive and its electrical effects upon the signal during playback.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in Audirvana simply download the free version and check it out for themselves. I'd also ask that anyone more knowledgeable on the topics I mentioned above offer both more information and/or corrections to what I posted.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Lee. Unless the software turns off the hard disk, it can't eliminate its effects. The OS will still cause it to be accessed in the background.

Does the player support any kind of remote access through iPad and such?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Thanks Lee. Unless the software turns off the hard disk, it can't eliminate its effects. The OS will still cause it to be accessed in the background.

Does the player support any kind of remote access through iPad and such?

I just know it loads the tracks into memory and plays them from there. Perhaps I should try loading some tracks, then disconnecting the hard drive from the computer and playing the tracks (if it works).

I use a MacBook Pro laptop to operate my MacMini server via screen sharing. I don't know about any direct access to the player software via RC, but I haven't tried out Audirvana Plus AND I don't need any other access in my application anyway.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I believe that the music won't come from the hard disk. I was speaking of the system hard disk which will continue to be accessed by the operating system.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Well, it seems like there is a significant upgrade to be had in the "Plus" version, but there are still some early bugs to be worked out. Damien did mention that he'll offer a free upgrade to 1.1 status when he finishes the modifications he desires.

A good value. I'll be watching closely.

Lee

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I have been using Audirvana for about a month now and am very pleased with it. The good news is it will play DSD files natively into our DACs. The interface of Audirvana is very simple and easy to use.

Damien is a very smart and capable software engineer and I congratulate him for his wonderful achievement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing