What is the audiophile digital future? And how fast will it be here?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Seems like a lot of audiophile gear is way ahead of its time, like Playback Designs USB-x. Please share your vision of what the ultimate audiophile digital future will be.

How long will it take for the vision to materialize?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Having spent the past few days at RMAF I can say that there has been a literal explosion of computer based servers so to answer your question I would say we are darn close

The buzz for new servers is Emotion for the PC and Nirvana for the Mac. As I understand it having talked with Andreas Kotch of Playback Designs both will do 2X DSD

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Having spent the past few days at RMAF I can say that there has been a literal explosion of computer based servers so to answer your question I would say we are darn close

The buzz for new servers is Emotion for the PC and Nirvana for the Mac. As I understand it having talked with Andreas Kotch of Playback Designs both will do 2X DSD

The next obvious question is: When will there be sufficient software (music) available to utilize this?

Lee

caesar

May 30, 2010
The next obvious question is: When will there be sufficient software (music) available to utilize this?

Lee

Ditto. Seems like super high rez music is only trickling in at 2 albums per month.

caesar

May 30, 2010

I wonder if these computer based servers are just the "interim solution", while Playback Designs is on the bleeding edge.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lee

At the show there seemed to be more and more places to download music. For me I am most interested in Nirvana

Steve,
I am still trying to understand what type of warranty I get about the quality of the HiRez files when we download them. Music with physical support such as LPs or CDs has traceable visual information - just look for existing sites and current debates about the Dark Side of the Moon or Beatles music. But it seems to me that HiRez files do not carry this type of information.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar

I'm not clear as to why you are saying this and I am a PD owner.

Steve, I am just trying to understand what Andreas Koch's vision is and if it's any different from anyone else. PD seems to be several steps ahead of everyone else, technology wise (and soundwise on high res).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Lee,

Could you possibly do a write up on it? The website offers up little and quite frankly is a bit of a mess. Your perspective particularly on ease of use and library management would be much appreciated.

TIA

Jack

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Jack,

I'll get something up in the next few days. It'll focus on the use of the software. I just open up my 2TB hard drive and choose files individually each time I play music on the server, since my listening time rarely allows me more than 30-45 minutes at a time. I'll start a new thread.

Lee

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Lee.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing