Photo Highlights Of RMAF 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
You know it's funny---Vandersteen wins a lot of these shows, yet I don't have a single audiophile friend who owns them.

Perhaps there are more hidden Vandy guys than those of the Wilson, B&W, Magico crowd.

Well, I don't know if I am an audiophile (although I suspect I am) and I am not your friend (yet) but I own a pair of 5As and have owned at least one pair of Vandersteens since 1985. I have never heard another speaker for a similar cost that I thought sounded better. I am sure part of that is that my ears are trained for the Vandy sound.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well, I don't know if I am an audiophile (although I suspect I am) and I am not your friend (yet) but I own a pair of 5As and have owned at least one pair of Vandersteens since 1985. I have never heard another speaker for a similar cost that I thought sounded better. I am sure part of that is that my ears are trained for the Vandy sound.

I almost owned Vandersteen 2As :) When I was shopping for my "first" pair of audiophile speakers in 1980, it came down to DQ10s and the Vandersteen 2As. Heard the Vandys in an awesome system at American Audiophile (a dealer out in Valley Stream LI and STILL in business!) comprised of a Counterpoint amp and preamp, and the SOTA table outfitted with the ET1 arm and AQ404 cartridge. System blew me away as I'd never heard imaging like that and the mids were to die for. But alas, opted for the DQ10s and never looked back. Until now though, always felt the less expensive Vandys were the best of the line ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I almost owned Vandersteen 2As :) When I was shopping for my "first" pair of audiophile speakers in 1980, it came down to DQ10s and the Vandersteen 2As. Heard the Vandys in an awesome system at American Audiophile (a dealer out in Valley Stream LI and STILL in business!) comprised of a Counterpoint amp and preamp, and the SOTA table outfitted with the ET1 arm and AQ404 cartridge. System blew me away as I'd never heard imaging like that and the mids were to die for. But alas, opted for the DQ10s and never looked back. Until now though, always felt the less expensive Vandys were the best of the line ;)

I had a pair of Vandy 2Ce's in the early 90s. I bought it for my HT in the bedroom and thought I could enjoy my CDs on them too. I briefly tried it on my main audio setup just to see how I would like it. At that time I had the B&W 801S3s and amp was a CJ MV125. I felt the overall balance was too dark for my taste and brought it back to my HT set and eventually I gave it to my brother, also for his HT when I went the JBL way. Probably, the Vandys need another amp to mate it well and bring out its strengths. I have heard the 1B too in a showroom in Sausalito and it sounded really beautiful and much to my liking, I forgot the amp though.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a long delay to check-in at night while arriving, there was just one person at the front desk taking room-service orders, giving directions to lost guests and checking in duties, it was not the kind of service one expects from Marriot.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Steve,

Next time could you please bring a portable R2R and record in each room where you shoot pictures so that I will be able to skip my next trip to CES. Thank you in advance.

Russ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing