modification Studer A80VU into play back only deck

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Friend's A80VU left channel blasted with smoke, he asked me not to fix it but modify it with tube like I did in A80RC, and also he like to use as play back only. the audio electronic between this two models are not the same only in same transport, VU separate the out put into other card from repro card and add SYNC card too, also select switch for NAB and CCIR, both build in, some ICs use to replace SS you can see in later model A810 in similar design with more ICs to use in replacing, IMO still RC sound better than VU. anyway I will do in the same way of what I did in RC, keep the both sections ( EQ & control ) in stock, just convert the out put into tube and transformer, because no recording use, so I took out most things from the case, only keep the repro pre amp and power supply ,command card in there, looking for enough space for tube and transformer and 6 new bigger size coupling cap, also I can't keep the meter and play back no meter needs just for style only, without meter connect is better for out put sound quality, there are two version of repro pre amp card, 1080.604 is for 10mH low out put head it with a 1 to 10 step up in put transformer, the other one is 1081.652 without in put transformer but for 200mH head, this one is the first one, my friend like to have a silver wound for it but Studer will not tell the the impedance of it, friendly Jack Elliano made me a sample in copper with multi taps first, let me see which is the best sounding tap and then to silver for saving money. or in future option replace a butterfly head (200mH) into recording head and switch by pass the step up, that can ABX of two different heads, pictures show changed parts and the looking before and after
tony ma

Attachments

• Picture 086.jpg
    Picture 086.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 711
  • Picture 084.jpg
    Picture 084.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 563
  • Picture 085.jpg
    Picture 085.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 529
  • Picture 094.jpg
    Picture 094.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 536
  • Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 556

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
more pictures

Attachments

• Picture 078.jpg
    Picture 078.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 525
  • Picture 103.jpg
    Picture 103.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 534
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 543
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 542
  • Picture 096.jpg
    Picture 096.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 527

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Tony,

The Mundorf MKP's are great caps. They are very neutral and will give you excellent bass response. The Mundorfs are probably some of the very best caps made and their design is unique. Very nice!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Roger
47uf cap in good quality is not too many choice, either Solen or mundrof, I took this one because they are smaller size of 250V, Solen is cheaper but bigger in 450V only, I don't have too much space for them, so that is the only choice
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger
47uf cap in good quality is not too many choice, either Solen or mundrof, I took this one because they are smaller size of 250V, Solen is cheaper but bigger in 450V only, I don't have too much space for them, so that is the only choice
tony ma

You made the right choice.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Roger
tony ma
Roger and Tony, you're both into playing with caps: I presume these 47uF are for stage decoupling, have you ever tried a 47uF of just reasonable quality and much smaller in size, in parallel with a 1uF of the highest quality? This would make the leads significantly shorter, especially of the 1uF unit, with possible benefits in treble performance, any such experiment tried?

Frank

Whilst shifting the discussion towars what caps are better may take us to the spheres of religion, it is perhaps worth mentioning that many Studer designs use 47 uF for coupling as a standard. However, in many cases the value can be significantly reduced w/o affecting phase/bass performance. This of course requires substantial research and reverse engineering. Having done the latter on several Studer models (my business is upgrading/modifying Studer recorders) I am sure you can use smaller size 22 uF capacitors with better results. The proposed 1uF quality bypass is very meaninful and cost-effective. It is true that prolonging the signal path and taking it away from its original (shielded by thick ground traces) positions often results in compromised S/N performance, unless you shield the entire (large) capacitor.

Tod
www.mastertapesoundlab.com

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Frank and Tod
Create more than one sound path will effect to image's focus , different construction or different material of cap will give you different sound because cap blocking transfer timing in different by different frequencies that is what I believe, and in the sound path coupling , non polarity always better than with polarity, reduce value maybe OK but it will depend on site combine with other components or room effect, up to the user in final result, like SAKUMA in Japan, he build amp not by math is by changing each part's value and listen for final, but not all audiophile can do the job if he is not a diyer, in this modification , the in put step up transformer with multi taps to check which is the best for match the head in site by listening is the best way, but I can't afford to change those 6 coupling caps' value so keep it in original value.
PS Tod my friend bought two taps from you before and we are doing similar thing as you do but we are not pro just for hobby, our recording equipments is tube and silver, for reference our website is ultraanaloguerecordings.com
tony ma

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Frank and Tod
Create more than one sound path will effect to image's focus , different construction or different material of cap will give you different sound because cap blocking transfer timing in different by different frequencies that is what I believe, and in the sound path coupling , non polarity always better than with polarity, reduce value maybe OK but it will depend on site combine with other components or room effect, up to the user in final result, ...
It is not so much that there is one or more than one sound path, but that you change the ESR and ESL, effective series resistance and inductance every time you alter the cap style or combination of caps. In this area of course you should use non-polarised film caps, electrolytics are a last resort only; the advantage of the latter is that they have a low intrinsic Q, which is often a good thing.

Frank

I agree with Frank. My point was that while a non-polar polypropylene capacitor is certainly preferred, one should try not to prolong too much the signal path by placing very large (physically) capacitors. There are always tradoffs.
Tod
www.mastertapesoundlab.com

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Nothing can be 100% advantage, just get the balance of give and take, I have more contact points by moving out of caps and make longer sound path but in other way take off a lot of switches in original design, end up still improved, maybe you can say because of with tube out put, in my PR99 mods, just changed those coupling caps into Solen, made sound more direct and clean compared with another one without mods
tony ma

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Nothing can be 100% advantage, just get the balance of give and take, I have more contact points by moving out of caps and make longer sound path but in other way take off a lot of switches in original design, end up still improved, maybe you can say because of with tube out put, in my PR99 mods, just changed those coupling caps into Solen, made sound more direct and clean compared with another one without mods
tony ma
Actually, Tony, if you take more and more care, get more and more fussy, I find that it ends up always being give, no take at all! It can be a long, frustrating process but I have found that ultimately everything one does can have a positive benefit for the sound, there are no negatives.

In other words, do both the elimination of switches AND use better caps in the best possible way, AND all the other things that can be done. At times it's like a game of snakes and ladders, but perseverance will get you a huge distance ...

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing