4 Track Head On Studer A810

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Has anyone added a 4 track head to their Studer A810 2 track deck to have the ability to play 4 track tapes and 2 track tapes like the Otari 5050 B2?

Jay

Hi Jay,

I have never seen one and that's not saying it can't be done. There would have to be the room to mount the extra playback head and also have the ability to switch between the two.

I think it's rare to find a suitably designed head stack in a studio quality deck. I find that my ability to play both 2 & 4 on my Ampex 440 is a blessing ,especially when so much classical music was recorded using the 4 track format.

Ki is the one that can probably shed some light on the subject.

p.s. if the A810 is only a 3 position head stack you could do it if it was playback only,but then the switching ability still remains and also you would lose record capability.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Hi Roger,
Thanks for your reply I spoke to John at JFR, he said it was possible but alot of work. Also would be better to just use another headblock setup for 4 track, I didn't care about recording just playback. Anyway I was just trying to find out if anyone here had ever done it. Reason is I am thinking about downsizeing my decks to make room for other things.

Jay
Hi Jay,

I have never seen one and that's not saying it can't be done. There would have to be the room to mount the extra playback head and also have the ability to switch between the two.

I think it's rare to find a suitably designed head stack in a studio quality deck. I find that my ability to play both 2 & 4 on my Ampex 440 is a blessing ,especially when so much classical music was recorded using the 4 track format.

Ki is the one that can probably shed some light on the subject.

p.s. if the A810 is only a 3 position head stack you could do it if it was playback only,but then the switching ability still remains and also you would lose record capability.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger,
Thanks for your reply I spoke to John at JFR, he said it was possible but alot of work. Also would be better to just use another headblock setup for 4 track, I didn't care about recording just playback. Anyway I was just trying to find out if anyone here had ever done it. Reason is I am thinking about downsizeing my decks to make room for other things.

Jay

Hi Jay, it's going to be expensive but it might be best to have John fit a 4 track playback head in place of the record head,if the switching can be done with out to much redesign.

I would imagine your Studer has the best sound of your decks and the Studer's tape handling is also a factor.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Roger,
You are correct about the sound and tape handling, right now this is just a thought nothing is concret yet. I am on a fact hunting mission. Replacing the record head is not an option I just don't need to record in 4 track.

Jay
Hi Jay, it's going to be expensive but it might be best to have John fit a 4 track playback head in place of the record head,if the switching can be done with out to much redesign.

I would imagine your Studer has the best sound of your decks and the Studer's tape handling is also a factor.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Roger,

Jay

Hi Jay
If you use your A810 as a play back deck only and will pay for a brand new special make 4 track head from JFR in the size can be fit for the same head block, you can order a 10mH 4 track head(same out put of the original rec head ) to replace at the position of rec head. then you can use SYNC switch to play for this head
tony ma

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Jay:

If you are fixed on adding 4 track Repro head to your A810, you can use the space in the headblock allocated for the TC head. But since you already have a switch installed for internal/external repro head preamp, you could have wires routed directly to the back without additional switch.

On the other hand, if you are willing to give up record capability of the A810, I like Tony's idea of replacing record head with an after market Repro head to use Sync circuit. I have never tried and wouldn't know what the performace would be. As I recall, Sync signal from the record head bypasses Repro Head Preamp and goes through bandwidth limiting switch and its own preamp before reaching Repro Amp circuit. The sync preamp may not be suitable for full audio frequency repro application.

I would rely more on John French's recommendation.

Ki

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Bruce,
There is the problem I already have an MX5050 setup that way, I am thinking about downsizeing and may move it. I would still like to be able to play my 4 tracks.

Jay

Jay,

I would listen to John very close. I have had to deal with the room issue since day one and wanting the ability for playing 4 tracks was very important for me. If it were my choice I would keep both decks and find another way to gain space, I don't know if keeping the status quo is a option for you though.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Can't comment on the A810, but John added a Flux ME 1/4-TK repro head to my A80 headblock, installed in lieu of the record head. Playback head is selected by a switch installed on the top of the head assembly. The combination of the gentle tape handling afforded by the Studer and the excellent playback characteristics of the Flux head takes 1/4-TK listening to a whole new level. Probably one of the best mods I've done to any of my machines.

Tom

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Can't comment on the A810, but John added a Flux ME 1/4-TK repro head to my A80 headblock, installed in lieu of the record head. Playback head is selected by a switch installed on the top of the head assembly. The combination of the gentle tape handling afforded by the Studer and the excellent playback characteristics of the Flux head takes 1/4-TK listening to a whole new level. Probably one of the best mods I've done to any of my machines.

Tom

I have read other comments about the Flux ME heads and it's good to hear Tom's experience about them and his A80. I know John will have a couple of my projects to do in the future. Thanks Tom.

jdza

May 3, 2010
If I may add a few comments based on my own experience:

The A 810 must be one of the,if not the most unfriendly machines to add extra wiring or direct head outputs. There is so much digital hash flying around that Studer took some serious steps to avoid it i.e the amp in the headblock ,filters everywhere. I would be very worried about adding low level cabling and switches in this machine. The older A67,B67 machines are of similar size and are so friendly in this aspect,with acres of space and no hash. In my A67 we merely disconnected the shielded wires from the headblock at the card cage and brought them to 4 sockets on the front panel (1/4 track now in rec head position)I would personally rather switch cables than have such low level signals run through a 50 cents toggle switch.

I am suprised that so many owners have adopted this switch arrangement. Most likely they would never, ever consider adding a switch between phono cart and phono amp but are quite happy to do so with the similar low level signals in the tape circuit.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010

Tom
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the imput and info on your deck and heads, in speaking with John there are a couple ways to go about this just kinda depends on what you are wanting in the end.

Jay

jcmusic

May 20, 2010

The A 810 must be one of the,if not the most unfriendly machines to add extra wiring or direct head outputs. There is so much digital hash flying around that Studer took some serious steps to avoid it i.e the amp in the headblock ,filters everywhere. I would be very worried about adding low level cabling and switches in this machine. The older A67,B67 machines are of similar size and are so friendly in this aspect,with acres of space and no hash. In my A67 we merely disconnected the shielded wires from the headblock at the card cage and brought them to 4 sockets on the front panel (1/4 track now in rec head position)I would personally rather switch cables than have such low level signals run through a 50 cents toggle switch.

I am suprised that so many owners have adopted this switch arrangement. Most likely they would never, ever consider adding a switch between phono cart and phono amp but are quite happy to do so with the similar low level signals in the tape circuit.

You are correct about all the cramed in space in the A810 I managed to route my direct head out wires to the rear of the deck without any real problems. I didn't know it could be done the way yours is done, something else to think about.

Jay

saamu

Sep 23, 2023
Finland

I’m in progress of fitting B77 4-track head to my Studer B67. There is almost no information for doing it. This is already 12 years old post but only piece of info for doing it I have found so far.

If you are still online and have that unit or if somebody else knows about that. I would like to know more how you arranged switching between two heads. And how you fitted your head in place of record head. I don’t get the point from the original post about the switching.

After my measurements it seems that for fitting the B77 head you have to just make a new hole to the bottom place and lift the head little bit higher. But it would be nice to see how you made it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing