First Snow of the Season

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Just to get everybody ready for RMAF... :) Actually, it'll all be gone in a couple of days, but at the moment we have about 6" and it's still coming down hard and blowing around. And, of course, this is the one Saturday a month my wife had to go to work... - Don

IMG_2541_3..JPG
IMG_2548_3..JPG
IMG_2546_1..JPG

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, in the odd chance I was going to make it to RMAF, I was thinking about going to Aspen and shoot the Maroon Bells. How bad of a drive is it should it snow like that from Denver?

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Watch the news. 6"+ of heavy, wet snow (usually we get light and fluffy but it's not cold enough yet) is enough to snarl traffic, though of course they try to keep I70 and routes to the ski resorts clear. Snow amounts tend to vary widely; still snowing here and we probably have 7" - 8', but down in the Springs it's rain (or was when my wife called around 9 AM) and same up in Denver ("up" means North; it sits about 1000' lower than Colorado Springs, and about 2500' below my house). Just west of Denver it's snowing. Aspen is reporting just overcast right snow and snow showers this afternoon. The mountains to the west and south of us got hammered; Wolf Creek down in the southern mountains got over 3' (yes, feet) over the past few days (Wolf Creek ski resort opened today, earliest ever).

Leave and return early! We are (in)famous for the Sunday drive home from the ski resorts when the snow hits the roads (2 hours there, 4 hours back).

Check www.cotrip.org for road conditions and such; you can even click on the Monument Hill camera to see the highway a few miles from my house (it is worse at home; we are about 500' above and east of the town). Most higher roads are reporting snow and ice, only a few closed today. Probably open later today or tomorrow.

p.s. 9" now, still snowing, and the NWS just changed the forecast to be 80% chance of snow this afternoon (they had it ending earlier). Son just took my Jeep to his school for pit orchestra rehearsal, first solo in the snow, dad biting nails...

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Well, I am far away from any of you, don't know any of you, but - snow found us too in Switzerland. Bettmeralp is full of it! And guess what, we just had a week of late summer until friday :)
e

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
81 in Toronto today! It's freagin' OCTOBER! Love it, love it, love it!

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
We ended up with about 10", though it had settled some when I took my last measurement. Weather report the night before said we might get 1" - 3". Just had a load of gravel placed and graded on the driveway, what a mess! Snow will be gone in a couple of days. I have not seen a long-range forecast for next weekend. Unfortunately, our older son is coming home for the weekend (last weekend before wife goes out of town for a bit), and I have a gig Sunday afternoon, so I may have to skip RMAF. :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing