USB Audio card

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
A new USB Audio card has just been introduced by First Impression Music. This is the first USB card to have 24/176.4 music files! Instead of using optical discs which have errors, this new card has a bit perfect copy of the original master file!

No price has been set yet as this is the first release, FIM DXD 066 Super Sound I. Plans are in process for folks who purchase these cards to have access to the higher rez DSD/DXD download.

Attachments

• IMG_1414..jpg
    IMG_1414..jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1413..jpg
    IMG_1413..jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 174

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, I thought this was a sound card. But instead, it seems like "pre-recorded" music on a USB Thumb drive. Is that right?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Oh, I thought this was a sound card. But instead, it seems like "pre-recorded" music on a USB Thumb drive. Is that right?

That is correct. Winston is now offering his music in hi-rez!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Very good. I assume there is no copy protection and you can just copy the files to the computer hard disk. Yes?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A new USB Audio card has just been introduced by First Impression Music. This is the first USB card to have 24/176.4 music files! Instead of using optical discs which have errors, this new card has a bit perfect copy of the original master file!

No price has been set yet as this is the first release, FIM DXD 066 Super Sound I. Plans are in process for folks who purchase these cards to have access to the higher rez DSD/DXD download.

Now that's news. Can't wait to get those

Any price set yet

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Very good. I assume there is no copy protection and you can just copy the files to the computer hard disk. Yes?

No copy protection. Just drag the files to your computer. I deleted my card and loaded the files back and it works. Takes about 1 minute (depending on your computer's buss speed).

Winston wants to package them in a nice acryllic case and such.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Isn't George Cardas doing the same thing too?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, but not at 24/176.4 and no offers of downloading the master files.

Thanks for the clarification Bruce! I see now its 24/96.

Steve Williams

No copy protection. Just drag the files to your computer. I deleted my card and loaded the files back and it works. Takes about 1 minute (depending on your computer's buss speed).

Winston wants to package them in a nice acryllic case and such.

Bruce

you indicated you have a copy of these but I can't find them anywhere on his site.

I am interested in price of each of these USB cards

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Allow me to be quizzical.. Bruce you stated this :
Instead of using optical discs which have errors, this new card has a bit perfect copy of the original master file!
. I would like to fully understand your statement. Are you implying that copies made on Optical discs are not be bit-perfect? Is that a general statement or does this just apply to the particular process of transferring recording on certain Optical disc ?

Frantz

Frantz

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
It is fully understood that optical discs have C1, C2 and CU errors. Now... C1 and C2 are usually correctable through redundancy and error correction, but not CU, which is an unrecoverable error.

I have received discs from a couple labels with hi-rez files that had these errors. If they had sent a hard drive, USB drive or something, these errors wouldn't be there, especially if they used checksum.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Bruce has some good points, and of course some drives are better than others in recovering from the various classes of errors. To learn more than any human should want to know about this, one can start with www.exactaudiocopy.de.

markc2

May 12, 2010
TX
how big are these? I get a sense of them fitting in the palm of your hand. I would love these for a car, just plug them in and go.

Mark

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Actually, there are a few car audio systems out now that you can just plug in the USB devices and play from them.
It's the size of a credit card.

Regards,

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am aware of that. My car has a USB port but doesn't the car system need a DAC for HiRez files
Actually you need two things:

1. Ability of the player to read and understand high-resolution files. These files can be uncompressed wave, or various forms of lossless compression. Chances of either one of these being there in a standard car audio player is next to zero.

2. Ability to render such files at original resolution. This is also a very remote possibility although due to dobly digital tracks being 20-bits, and it being nearly impossible to fund just 44.1Khz, 16-bit DACs these days, the hardware capability will be there. But likely no software to actually drive it.

Steve Williams

Actually you need two things:

1. Ability of the player to read and understand high-resolution files. These files can be uncompressed wave, or various forms of lossless compression. Chances of either one of these being there in a standard car audio player is next to zero.

2. Ability to render such files at original resolution. This is also a very remote possibility although due to dobly digital tracks being 20-bits, and it being nearly impossible to fund just 44.1Khz, 16-bit DACs these days, the hardware capability will be there. But likely no software to actually drive it.

precisely my point

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing