Proper (?) speaker placement

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
What am I missing here? $60,000 in awesome speakers, and thousands more in wonderful amps and subs so they can be placed asymmetrically in the room pushed up against a wall.

This is the kind of thing I used to see when I was installing room correction systems. And I still don't get it?

Wilson..jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What am I missing here? $60,000 in awesome speakers, and thousands more in wonderful amps and subs so they can be placed asymmetrically in the room pushed up against a wall.

This is the kind of thing I used to see when I was installing room correction systems. And I still don't get it?

And it's probably a reviewer's room!!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would not be astonished if this room sounds great - it is much less asymmetric than it seems at first sight, as it has plenty of lateral space both sides. A friend of mine with a similar room and placement has fantastic results with a usd 15000 system - the speakers are placed against the wall with plenty of space around and laterally behind. When a room has a large volume and high ceilings things can become a lot easier.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I would be absolutely astonished. I don't mind the asymetry at all; it might even be helpful. But one speaker is pushed almost flush into a corner, the other is in open space (on one side, anyway) and this is a hard, reflective room. Even the couches will be little help. The ceiling height is a good thing, and if there is plenty of open space out of frame, to the right, that will be helpful too, but it still looks like an acoustic nightmare.

I've been in plenty of domestic spaces devoid of formal room treatment that sounded very good, especially with good sub placement (which is not likely here), but none of them looked like this. I'd guess you could walk into that room, clap your hands and understand that it is a problem before you even powered that system up.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
What do you suppose that is...a $70k, $80K system? Really, he could get much better sound out of a $10k system and a room addition.

Tim

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
What do you suppose that is...a $70k, $80K system? Really, he could get much better sound out of a $10k system and a room addition.

Tim

The speakers are above $60K + those not too cheap tube amps plus sub. My guess would be well over $100K. But your point is well made. Build a $50K room and buy a $50K system. Bliss!!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Another view of the room (Picture from Wilson's website).

Looks like the owner use to have smaller Wilson. Look at all the stand mounted Realtraps in the hallway.
photo%20(31)..jpg

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Yeah, that corner works really well with those rear firing ports!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
The owner is downsizing:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1322157298&/Wilson-Audio-Maxx-3-

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Awe c'mon guys cut the guy some slack. What if his wife made him do it?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Awe c'mon guys cut the guy some slack. What if his wife made him do it?

In that case he'd still be better off with a more modest system and a room addition. Sound proofed. With a dead bolt on the door.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
In that case he'd still be better off with a more modest system and a room addition. Sound proofed. With a dead bolt on the door.

Tim

Divorce has its rewards!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Divorce has its rewards!

Or you can do what I did. Build an addition on to your home so you can have your own private listening room that is acoustically isolated from the rest of the house.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Or you can do what I did. Build an addition on to your home so you can have your own private listening room that is acoustically isolated from the rest of the house.

Ditto... I've had drummers hitting 130dB peaks in here and you couldn't hear it in the rest of the house or outside!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing