BSG Technologies Qol signal ...advertised in TAS,,what is it ?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The "about qol" document tells you most of what you need to know: it's a sound processor that focuses on phase to try and "enhance" the soundscape, an attempt at a more sophisticated version of what a lot of these various boxes do to "improve" the bigness of the sound. Which may or may not work, depending on who's listening, and their system ...

Their goals are good:

" the brain picks up certain “cues” presented to our complex hearing system in the real world, that get lost in recordings for a variety of reasons. This “hidden and buried information,” as Klayman and others refer to it*, includes spatial and temporal cues. These kinds of cues do not merely tell our hearing system about the sound of the instrument, or instruments, we’re listening to, but also about other things that make up the “whole” sonic event. In the broadest and most marvelous sense, our hearing system in real life can capture and render the entire (physical) space in which the sound is occurring!"

and

"Hearing is an extremely complicated mechanical, biological, and neurological process.” He adds that “auto-correlation” of spatial and temporal differences enables our hearing system to apply many tools that clarify the sounds around us,” "

That sort of talk is right up my alley ...

Frank

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The technology looks interesting for built in speakers in TVs and portable devices as well as gaming.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
That sort of talk gets my back up. Does it say anywhere how the system knows how to fix everything?
I didn't say that they've succeeded in any way in achieving their stated goal, just that they are aware of what's possible if the ear/brain is given sufficient clues in a decent manner. So what they're trying to do is help the playback system do a better job of presenting those auditory cues, whether they've been able to do that in a reasonably convincing way is up to others to decide ...

Frank

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I didn't say that they've succeeded in any way in achieving their stated goal, just that they are aware of what's possible if the ear/brain is given sufficient clues in a decent manner. So what they're trying to do is help the playback system do a better job of presenting those auditory cues, whether they've been able to do that in a reasonably convincing way is up to others to decide ...

Frank
True. That is one perspective. Mine is that their explanations of how they achieve this test my credulity.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is this just a rehash of Carver's auto-correlation?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
4000.00 is a heavy price to pay for something that you can replicate with 30.00 dollars in parts.

Revel Salon 2

Mar 10, 2011
Sherbrooke, Quebec Canada
tomelex said:
..... They appear to extract phase information via FFT and then do an algorithm on it....their audio example clearly states they are using a mono sound as the source and then it sounds (and scope shows phasiness) like in a larger venue, one might say opened up, and they claim that (true) regular recording does not keep track of phase (as in time shift). I mentioned this in your measurments thread concering THD not looking at phase.

can algorithm be use in the analog domain ? I am asking because according to the info on the site it says no digital manipulation...just asking !!

thanks

Guy;-)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Would a potential side effect occur for poor recordings that are too hot/sibilance/reverb/delay-echo/etc, or even good recording that have certain ambience or audio effects?
By side effect I mean that these become more emphasised or even unnatural.
The other side of the coin is could it actually be positive instead for these.

Seems a risky unknown to me as music and the quality of recording/mastering varies so much, especially if it is $4k.
Cheers
Orb

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
According to the literature the product in question is an all analog box.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
can algorithm be use in the analog domain ? I am asking because according to the info on the site it says no digital manipulation...just asking !!
At the demo last January, I was told that the process can be implemented in digital or analog devices.

eurasian

Feb 25, 2011
The recommendation by RH and a perusal of the patent app. is enough to convince me that this box is a waste of money.

Does anyone on this forum really believe RH has any credibility vis-a-vis audio technology after his numerous published errors in explaining and comprehending basic electrical engineering principles?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Qol

A friend of mine was at the show today and spent some time with Richard Vandersteen and his wife and they both love the qol. Richard says it corrects phase abberations. FWIW

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well then I guess that I am losing it because me and my 3 friends spent 1/2 hour in the room with their remote in our hands so that we could quickly a/b between Qol and without. I sat in just about every listening position and all I can say is that if there is a change, for my ears it was just too subtle ;). My friends also left the room with question marks

YMMV

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing