Misleading, Exaggerated and Fraudulent Display and HDTV Specs Exposed

Ray Soneira

May 14, 2010
Amherst NH USA
www.linkedin.com
I had forgotten how much contrast has improved since the production of this set in 2006. I think that the panels are second generation SXRD, which have a native contrast of bout 5000.

Actually, only the inflated published specs have increased since 2006, the objective Contrast Ratios have improved only slightly since then. For the best LCDs, the scientifically measured Contrast Ratios are actually still only between 1,500 and 2,000. SXRD is Sony's flavor of LCoS technology. In 2006 I did an article series on LCoS and measured objective Contrast Ratios as high as 4425, so it's still considerably better than today's LCDs and comparable to the best Plasmas. LCoS was a fantastic display technology, but almost all of the LCoS manufacturers have gone out of business and it's now a niche market, primarily in high-end front projectors. Here is the link for my 4-part LCoS technology article series.
http://www.displaymate.com/shootout.html#series2

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Rear projection TVs are built out of a much lower budget and have issues that front projection does not have. For example they use very high gain screens that make their picture directional and show "hotspotting." Older DLPs also didn't have as good a black level as modern projectors, making the blacks muddy as you say.

Amir, seeing the two posts about TV's sharp depreciation, isn't TV one of those things one can pay too much for? At an Audio FX store I saw a $10k projector operating in a dark room. Even if it cost $1k, I wouldn't buy it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing