Misleading, Exaggerated and Fraudulent Display and HDTV Specs Exposed

Ray Soneira

May 14, 2010
Amherst NH USA
www.linkedin.com
I have a major feature article on display specs coming out shortly in Maximum PC magazine. It's the cover story and an 8 page comprehensive exposé. The issue has already shipped to subscribers and will be on newsstands within two weeks. Here is a link to the published article:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/display_myths_shattered

Here is the initial press (teaser) announcement:

The competition between display and HDTV manufacturers has gotten so brutal that marketing gimmicks and misleading / fraudulent specs that take advantage of most consumer's lack of technical knowledge and understanding is playing a large role in driving sales and market share. This not only hurts consumers, but it also means that innovative manufacturers that develop new and better displays and display technologies can't demonstrate them with superior performance specs. Worse, the meaningless specs help substandard manufacturers by making their displays appear to be just as good as the best manufacturers, or even better, because the biggest liar wins.

Specs for all displays and HDTVs are so exaggerated that they are now completely meaningless and useless to consumers. It's all about spin and gimmicks and who is willing to tell the biggest lie. Many of the specs are being exaggerated by 1000 percent or more. It has snowballed out of control and even the best manufacturers are forced to play the game or lose significant business.

We Expose and Explain specs like Color Gamut including Sharp's new Quattron, Contrast Ratios, Response Time, Motion Blur, 120/240 Hz Refresh Rates, Viewing Angles, useless features and functions invented for marketing, and lots more.

Confusing Users with User Controls
Useless features and functions invented to impress consumers

Contrast Ratio, Ad Absurdum
Advertised Spec: Millions Actual: 1,500 to 2,000

Response Times: How Fast is Fast Enough?
Advertised Spec: 1ms Actual: 50ms

Color Gamut or Marketing Gambit?
Inflated colors instead of the standard colors needed for accuracy

Ending Display Fraud
I propose a program similar to EnergyStar to certify true Specs

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Can't wait to see the article Ray! I have been so frustrated with the state of the industry. As you say, it is truly out of control. Maybe we need to get the Federal Trade Commission to jump in as they did with amplifier power ratings.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Great to see a writer tackling the inflated marketing specs that drive the business.

That was also going on in the 1970s, but then it was the two channel stereo market that was selling briskly (particularly solid state receivers). Many consumers searched and purchased based only on specs and discount. I can't tell you how many walked into the store with an ad, review or Consumer Reports under one arm and bought with hardly a listen.

Shaking things up will make people aware, force them think rather than just react.

I was faced with this same problem when I recently purchased my big screen TV. The specs were maddening and I was confused by what I viewed compared to what I was reading.

I finally gave up on the specs and followed my gut instinct, purchased a 65" Panasonic Plasma which was neither the best specs or best price.

Ray Soneira

May 14, 2010
Amherst NH USA
www.linkedin.com
Sharp should have consulted Mr. Spock instead...

Sharp's new Quattron Technology is exposed as another shameful marketing gimmick. HDTV television and movie content is produced and color-balanced on three-color displays that are accurately calibrated to Rec.709. Sharp’s fourth primary color is yellow, and there isn’t anything for it to do because yellow is already being accurately reproduced with mixtures of the existing red and green primaries. More importantly, a Quattron display can’t show colors that aren’t in the original three-color source image. So what good is it? None, unless you like to see over-exaggerated yellows.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/display_myths_shattered?page=0,4

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is no exaggeration but I hope no one buys another flat panel TV without reading Ray's article above. It should be an eye opener for just about everyone!

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
When I switched to a projector that can give true HDTV, I was extremely happy with the results in picture and sound. What am I missing here?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Projectors do have a more accurate picture than flat panels. But they are not for everyone. The need for screen and lots of available light rules it out for many viewing applications.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Sounds like an awesome article, thanks Ray! I got an error when I tried to read it, though... Hopefully it will be up soon.

This place is really getting good for us techy/geeky/nerdy types... - Don

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Projectors do have a more accurate picture than flat panels. But they are not for everyone. The need for screen and lots of available light rules it out for many viewing applications.

Amir, I still don't understand. High definition should be recognizable on box TVs, shouldn't it? Or is the complaint that manufacturers are making false claims on how they go about giving you the best HD? I am not exploring that market.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, I still don't understand. High definition should be recognizable on box TVs, shouldn't it? Or is the complaint that manufacturers are making false claims on how they go about giving you the best HD? I am not exploring that market.
It is a hard problem. This is how it sorts out:

1. Projection technology such as DLP can be incredibly high fidelity. DLP is just a mirror which changes the light level. So in that sense, it is very linear device. If you put a good lens in front of it, you get really nice images.

2. LCD. This is the problem child. The LCD itself has some native problems. It uses a backlight to shine through the LCD and can't quite block all light. Solution seems to be to modulate the backlight. Make it dark when the image is dark. Make it light, when the image is bright. But to do that perfectly, every pixel needs to have a light source and that becomes exceedingly expensive and hard to do. So parts of the screen is lit at a time, causing a number of problems from halos to banding. Worse yet, the image quality varies all the time. It goes from really, really good, to bad and then back to good. This kind of change is more noticeable than constant performance.

LCDs also have problems with viewing angle. IPS versions do pretty well until you muck with the backlight and then they get directional too.

3. Plasma. These have little light sources for each pixel so don't have the backlight and directivity problems of LCDs. Each pixel though is a little like a small CRT so it can be aged and possibly damaged causing image retention issues. This is mitigated for the most part of still remains as something to be concerned about. The other issue is that unlike CRTs, when a pixel is off, it doesn't completely go off. Pioneer conquered this problem only to shut down their Plasma business. Panasonic approximates this but can't quite get there although in this regard, it does better than LCDs. Having deep blacks increases picture performance and makes viewing nicer in darker environment. Plasma also uses dithering to create its tones so if watched at close distance, can show fair bit of noise.

So as you can see, the picture is quite muddy right now.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
We have several DLP televisions. They don't behave well. Broad black areas break up and become muddy. There are color shifts. These are not the best TVs. On the other hand, our Sanyo LCD projectors have progressively got better with each model, with the latest, a PLV 3000 is as good as I want it to be. This one has been a quantum jump in picture quality. Sanyo is a rare company that works to fix projector customer's complaints. I certainly am not going to spend more for visual entertainment. I can find no obvious fault.

Now, if we can just cut down kid's use. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Rear projection TVs are built out of a much lower budget and have issues that front projection does not have. For example they use very high gain screens that make their picture directional and show "hotspotting." Older DLPs also didn't have as good a black level as modern projectors, making the blacks muddy as you say.

Ray Soneira

May 14, 2010
Amherst NH USA
www.linkedin.com
When I switched to a projector that can give true HDTV, I was extremely happy with the results in picture and sound. What am I missing here?

You missed the point of the article... The article is about misleading and exaggerated manufacturer specs for displays, which makes it impossible for consumers to evaluate display (and projector) picture quality and performance based on their published specs. So, there are plenty of excellent HDTV displays and projectors, you just can't determine their actual performance from their specs. The article deals primarily with direct view displays, but similar issues apply to projectors. Many years ago I helped produce the InfoComm Shoot-Out, where around 150 projectors competed side-by-side with (DisplayMate) test patterns, photos and videos. One year we worked with NIST and ANSI and had them measure each projector's brightness and compare their value to the manufacturer's spec. The result: the manufacturer's published values were on the average about a factor of 2 larger than what NIST and ANSI measured. Thereafter the manufacturers refused to allow a repeat of the tests...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
That was a great article, one of the pearls of the web.

I got a Sony KDSR50XBR1 projection SXRD TV for the Santa Cruz shack for about 500 dollars. These were much maligned on AVSforum due to color shift problems, although Sony claims that they was only a 5 percent problem rate with them.
I had forgotten how much contrast has improved since the production of this set in 2006. I think that the panels are second generation SXRD, which have a native contrast of bout 5000.
When I first saw it, I thought that at night the blacks were definitely too bright. I kept cranking it but finally gave up and realized that only so much was possible. Then I just reduced the contrast and it produced a wonderful picture. There is something seductive about that SXRD picture is hard to describe, even without the inky blacks, and I don't really even notice the contrast issue any more.
My main home projector is SXRD as well (Sony VW200), but later generation with excellent blacks and wonderful Xenon color rendition. However, that earlier generation SXRD has a charm factor that I can't quite put my finger on, even without the improved contrast, blacks or color rendition.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I had a Sony SXRD 60" DLP TV. I paid $3500 for it and sold it a few years later for $300 to my neighbor. I now have a Samsung 55" LED 120Hz tv and I love it. Worlds better than the Sony DLP.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
There was a video somewhere on the web where a guy blew his Sony 60 inch SXRD projecter to bits with a shotgun. Just didn't get any warranty satisfaction and he paid a pile for the TV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing