Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sorry, I am passionate man, you know, but it is all good here.
It was not my true intent, that is just how I read the review. My point is/was that Wilson tramps Magico at marketing, always have, nothing to do with these latest reports. It is a much bigger, well-funded, and organized operation.

Don't know about much bigger. Define "much". Is Wilson better funded and organized? I'm curious. How is this measured and how do you know?

Cannata, could you please be more specific? These seem to be vague pronouncements. I don't doubt you, I'm just interested in specifics.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
I would say that tipycally Wilson Audio speakers sound great with redbook, they do not need the coloration of most vinyl playback systems to sound great or fear the dynamic range and resolution of well recorded digital. In fact the WAMM playing redbook or good digital made us forgot what was the format.

I have no doubt that the fact that I listen most of the time to CDs in a DCS Vivaldi stack pushed me to Wilson speakers.

Unlike the other guy, you can play vinyl and HI-REZ digital formats, he only does Redbook.

Plus, if you have the full DCS Vivaldi stack, I'm sure you're upsampling to either high resolution DXD (24 bit data at 352.8 or 384 kS/s), DSD (1 bit data at 2.822 or 3.07MS/s) or standard high resolution PCM (24 bit data up to 192kS/s).

"The results gained from Vivaldi Upsampler are extraordinary – a more vibrant, 3-dimensional, transparent and effortless performance."

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I suppose the question for the money (space allowing) is which would you prefer (if you had no ability to upgrade):
- WAMM (no Subsonics)
- XLF + Dual Thors (or Subsonics)

This is an easy one for me. I personally would take the WAMM (no Subsonics). I like the height and the additional midrange drivers of the WAMM over the XLF.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This is an easy one for me. I personally would take the WAMM (no Subsonics). I like the height and the additional midrange drivers of the WAMM over the XLF.
Thanks, Ron. Sounds like Wilson has done it right then. Would love to hear the new WAMMs.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I suppose the question for the money (space allowing) is which would you prefer (if you had no ability to upgrade):
- WAMM (no Subsonics)
- XLF + Dual Thors (or Subsonics)

WAMM, surely. Peter McGrath even told me some customers of the WAMM have the Siegfried II's ... But I would later add the Subsonics, hiding it from WBF! ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think Siegfried II on WAMM would be great!

Reactions: tima

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Please feel free to email (bill@wilsonaudio.com) or call (801-377-2233) me (Bill Peugh) at Wilson Audio should you ever have any reason for concern with, or just want to talk about your Wilson speakers.
Bill,
Think I was quite clear in my post. To your reply about my concern with or just want to talk....this wasn’t my post.
Why hasn’t anyone from Wilson responded to a customer’s simple request?
Close to two months in, after a number of emails and a phone call, We have had no response from Wilson.
So what’s up?

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Bill,
Think I was quite clear in my post. To your reply about my concern with or just want to talk....this wasn’t my post.
Why hasn’t anyone from Wilson responded to a customer’s simple request?
Close to two months in, after a number of emails and a phone call, We have had no response from Wilson.
So what’s up?

Why did you post your question in this particular thread - a thread intended as (being generous here) a criqiue of Wilson marketing? Do you really expect an answer to your question about your individual product registration in a public forum where no one knows about your purchase, model, serial nbr, etc. ?

Why not ask your dealer? He's much better positioned to address this than anyone here.

And then, by chance, a top Wilson factory representative generously offers to help. Why pass on that opportunity?

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Why did you post your question in this particular thread - a thread intended as (being generous here) a criqiue of Wilson marketing? Do you really expect an answer to your question about your individual product registration in a public forum where no one knows about your purchase, model, serial nbr, etc. ?

Why not ask your dealer? He's much better positioned to address this than anyone here.

And then, by chance, a top Wilson factory representative generously offers to help. Why pass on that opportunity?

My post was't intended as a question and was written to address the title of the thread. If Wilson hasn't responded to several email inquiries and a phone call their "marketing" may have lost some of its edge. No further discussion required as I wasn't appealing to any named or unnamed authority.

Reactions: bonzo75

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
My post was't intended as a question and was written to address the title of the thread. If Wilson hasn't responded to several email inquiries and a phone call their "marketing" may have lost some of its edge. No further discussion required as I wasn't appealing to any named or unnamed authority.

I appreciate the candid nature of the original post. Wilson failed and in so doing, frustrated a new Wilson owner. That's not good any way you look at it.

You should have received an email from me a few minutes ago that confirmed Wilson Audio has received your Warranty Registration.

Thank you again for being a new Wilson owner.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well done, Wilson. No one is perfect, but a single post [on a non-commercial thread] gets picked up by Wilson, and the problem appears to be solved next day.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Well done, Wilson. No one is perfect, but a single post [on a non-commercial thread] gets picked up by Wilson, and the problem appears to be solved next day.

I was able to get Warren the information he needed as the first step. Also, thanks to his post we were made aware of an issue transferring from our old website to our new website. It was brought home more strongly by two additional Wilson owners (WBF readers?) calling the factory yesterday and asking us to confirm their warranty registration had been received. Long story short, our Warranty Registration had not moved over and needed to be updated before it could do so. Though it was on a punchlist, it very much needed to be prioritized. That has been done and the solution in process.

Thank you for the heads up Warren.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Some updates:

As John Atkinson is fading into old age, looks like the new Stereophile editor, Austin, is positively reviewing Wilsons!. Congratulations to all!

caesar

May 30, 2010
And really surprised to find out that John Goliath, who worked for Wilson for many, many years, and has written a biography (probably hagiography) of Wilson/ Wilson company is now with dCS. Actually, it seems he joined dCS about a year ago or so.

Weird!!!!!!!!!

Maybe his book was not hagiographical enough!

Or maybe him and Wilson the Son didn't get along. Very surprising, whatever the story!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing