Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don’t know your position. Are you standing, sitting or laying down?

Seated. Listening to recordings. And not expecting an inanimate object - an amplifier - to somehow reproduce that which has not yet been produced as far as it knows, ie, something other than the recording.

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Makes you wonder why he got rid of them. I can't seem to recall when he had them in there. Must have been only for a short time.

Here's a pic of the speakers I thought that Alon had built him before the Focals.

Actually I think Paul still has the Magicos; they're just being used in a different system if I remember correctly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Actually I think Paul still has the Magicos; they're just being used in a different system if I remember correctly.

As far as I remember reading the system was very complex - eight deeply modified by the Bottlehead people SET tube amplifiers, active crossovers and needed fine tuning to play at its best and Paul took it to his residence.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I can't think of a single recording/mastering studio that has Magico. I can name several with Wilson though.

No doubt - I would choose Wilson also. Out of curiosity, though, how long ago was the evaluation done by these studios? And were both Magico and Wilson scrutinized, and on what specific grounds was Wilson chosen?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Actually Wilson and Spectral have shown together numerous times at many shows over the years. One of Wilson's biggest dealers in the East, Overture, has always used
Spectral electronics with the big Wilsons in their store.

Yes, I understand that this was happening in the past. But a friend told me that Overture has switched from Wilson to Magico because Overture believes that Magico is more accurate in reproducing to what is on the recording. They supposedly still demo Spectral, but with Magico now, confirming what I said in my original post.

But, of course, not all of us are interested in reproducing exactly what is on the recording. Some of us find it kind of dull ... Instead, many of us want a concert in our home.

And furthermore, good marketing, which is what this thread is about, is not about subjective opinions anyways. Face it, the consumers are having an extremely difficult time making sense of the dozens of products in the market place. Very few speakers are compared and contrasted, and the consumers are bombarded with all kinds of opinions from various gurus and hacks alike. Great marketing, on the other hand, is about helping the customer make sense of this ambiguity in the marketplace. By presenting a simplified message that gets at what the customer is looking for, the company can carve out a spot in the customer's mind about what the brand stands for. For example, Volvo = safety, and why go with the #2 Avis for rental cars over the #1 Hertz? Because they try harder.

So Wilson's failure was that while they were on top of audio speakers for so long, they never created a clear message in the mind of the customer of what they stand for. Now comes Magico and they happen to have an accurate speaker. (The Overture owners, and Jonathan Valin himself, would agree with humble me in the claim that Magico is the more accurate speaker.) So Wilson has to carve out an alternate product position in the customer's mind instead of fighting a losing battle. If Wilson can no longer be accurate, as Magico has captured that space, why not be the "real sounding speaker"?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I thought it was because they lost the Wilson line

My understanding, and this is second - hand, is that the top guys who own Overture are interested in "accurate reproduction of the recording" and they believe that Magico does this better than Wilson. But you may know a lot more about this than me.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
At least Wilson has never pulled a M5/Q5 on their dealers/customers.

One Magico dealer trying to unload their demo M5s for less than half price posted this in their ad:

"Although the new Q5 is getting alot of press, IMHO the M5remains as Magico's masterpiece in dynamic reference loudspeakers - full ofsubtle nuances missing in the new covergirl Q5s. The M5s also lack the"metallic" sound intrinsic in an "all metal cabinet design."

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ouch!

caesar

May 30, 2010
At least Wilson has never pulled a M5/Q5 on their dealers/customers.

One Magico dealer trying to unload their demo M5s for less than half price posted this in their ad:

"Although the new Q5 is getting alot of press, IMHO the M5remains as Magico's masterpiece in dynamic reference loudspeakers - full ofsubtle nuances missing in the new covergirl Q5s. The M5s also lack the"metallic" sound intrinsic in an "all metal cabinet design."

Yes, very true. Magico has had some major marketing screw-ups, to say they least!

And with all the hype Magico has gotten from the press, and mainly Jonathan Valin, the Magico sound doesn't really appeal to the many audiophiles.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hmmmm. Lemme see.

I used to imagine Spectral gear was all speed and no torque. This was a result of their own marketing efforts some time back. I said "used to" because when I finally did hear a bunch of different Spectral equipment my imagined personification of a lab tech on crystal meth flew out the window, did a triple sommersault with a twist and landed on its head.

After hearing Spectral gear I can't imagine why going to show with them would be a bad thing at all. They've got the body and resolution that can and does bring out emotions in the musical content.

If anything, this pairing with Wilson which may seem odd because Spectral is usually associated with Avalon (again because of that team-up including ASC and MIT) has gotten people talking. This thread is proof of that. The reactions are also in defense of the match up. That's some positive word of mouth. If this was intentional, I give Wilson some more marketing points not less.

Spectral as an amplifier with body and emotion? Umm, not sure what Spectral you are listening too---certainly not their house sound.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This is not a relevant argument as well.

It's relevant to the following posts...

The big question is what means exactly "to be true to the recording". Duplicate the sound in the control room? Recreate the life experiment that generated the recording? Neither of the preceding?

That's a great question, Microstrip. The guys I have talked to always refer to duplicating the sound of the studio.

I highly doubt that most folks who state claims about "closer to the master tape" have ever heard said master on the recording studio's reference system. Subtle differences in audio are usually expressed as preferences, not absolutes.

Lee

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Spectral as an amplifier with body and emotion? Umm, not sure what Spectral you are listening too---certainly not their house sound.

That isn't what I said. Quit twisting Keith.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That isn't what I said. Quit twisting Keith.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who has fallen victim to people putting words in my mouth and misrepresenting things I have said. Misery does love company I guess.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
OTOH what does that mean for an amplifier to have body and emotion???? Really? An electrical component?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's my objection Frantz, I said the spectral amps have the body (heft) and resolution to let the emotion in the music through, whatever that may be. I didn't say the amps were a source of emotion. We all know that would be bollocks.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
That's my objection Frantz, I said the spectral amps have the body (heft) and resolution to let the emotion in the music through, whatever that may be. I didn't say the amps were a source of emotion. We all know that would be bollocks.

Well, this one would. :)

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing