Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar

I must admit that I agree with Ron here. Spectral with Wilson sounds superb

In fact at the recent Cali Audio Show my vote for best room was MAXX llls with Spectral

Steve, I have no doubt they do. And I am sure that there are many other combinations to make the speakers sound great. But it just doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective. The purpose of marketing or any business, for that matter, is to create a customer. Customers are confused by the many products that are out there in our hobby, and companies do not have enough resources to target every single customer. As a result, the most successful companies choose a position in the market place that will make them the most profit. The market position is a perception. But if it can be backed up, it has more power. Through the years, Wilson has staked out a position as a speaker that sounds "real". Wilson gets this across using big VTL or ARC amps, and now with D'Agostino amps. Magico, on the other hand, has staked out a position as a speaker that best brings out what is on the recording. Magico usually shows with Soulution or with Spectral for this reason.

The bottom line is that if a company is clear about who they are, who their customer is/ what the customer is looking for, and the unique benefits the company can offer the customer (especially compared to the competitor), the company can be much more successful. Wilson seems to have lost (or is possibly unclear) about their positioning.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I highly doubt that most folks who state claims about "closer to the master tape" have ever heard said master on the recording studio's reference system. Subtle differences in audio are usually expressed as preferences, not absolutes.

Lee

I agree. There probably not a lot and this phrase is used colloquially, kind of like a reference to an "electrostatic midrange" in just about every review. But at the same time, there are some that do. Isn't one of the Spectral guys a recording artist?

caesar

May 30, 2010
The big question is what means exactly "to be true to the recording". Duplicate the sound in the control room? Recreate the life experiment that generated the recording? Neither of the preceding?

That's a great question, Microstrip. The guys I have talked to always refer to duplicating the sound of the studio.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Mostly his ubiquitous presence and self promotion. The legend is definitely greater than the collective body of work IMO.

Gregadd, I agree with the self-promotion bit. But Dave Wilson ushered in the high-priced, high end speaker industry with fancy car paints, etc. I haven't seen the numbers (these are privately owned companies), but I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson were the most successful audio company in the world. Magico, on the other hand is fairly new. The have been getting a lot of buzz the last few years, but most of it has been during the Great Recession. I have no doubt they are doing very well, but they would be doing much better if they had gotten this publicity during better economic times. However, Magico has also been making a lot of mistakes in their marketing and partner relations. It's getting pretty late, and I will start a new thread on their marketing and business gaffes and screw-ups tomorrow.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Like I said it's my opinion.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
That's a great question, Microstrip. The guys I have talked to always refer to duplicating the sound of the studio.
Caesar, thanks for answering Micro's question. May I ask a follow up question in light of the above-quoted reference? Do you have any understanding as to what is meant by "the sound of the studio"?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
To answer to the OP's question: Is Wilson losing their marketing edge? IMO, no. DW has established a brand name and a reputation for performance, quality and service that is second to none.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hmmmm. Lemme see.

I used to imagine Spectral gear was all speed and no torque. This was a result of their own marketing efforts some time back. I said "used to" because when I finally did hear a bunch of different Spectral equipment my imagined personification of a lab tech on crystal meth flew out the window, did a triple sommersault with a twist and landed on its head.

After hearing Spectral gear I can't imagine why going to show with them would be a bad thing at all. They've got the body and resolution that can and does bring out emotions in the musical content.

If anything, this pairing with Wilson which may seem odd because Spectral is usually associated with Avalon (again because of that team-up including ASC and MIT) has gotten people talking. This thread is proof of that. The reactions are also in defense of the match up. That's some positive word of mouth. If this was intentional, I give Wilson some more marketing points not less.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hmmmm. Lemme see.

I used to imagine Spectral gear was all speed and no torque. This was a result of their own marketing efforts some time back. I said "used to" because when I finally did hear a bunch of different Spectral equipment my imagined personification of a lab tech on crystal meth flew out the window, did a triple sommersault with a twist and landed on its head.

After hearing Spectral gear I can't imagine why going to show with them would be a bad thing at all. They've got the body and resolution that can and does bring out emotions in the musical content.

If anything, this pairing with Wilson which may seem odd because Spectral is usually associated with Avalon (again because of that team-up including ASC and MIT) has gotten people talking. This thread is proof of that. The reactions are also in defense of the match up. That's some positive word of mouth. If this was intentional, I give Wilson some more marketing points not less.

Actually Wilson and Spectral have shown together numerous times at many shows over the years. One of Wilson's biggest dealers in the East, Overture, has always used
Spectral electronics with the big Wilsons in their store.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, I first would answer your question with a question: why ask me? Why didn't you ask Caesar, the OP, who first used that exact language as part of what I then called a false dichotomy and as such this was the ground for my appearing in this thread? Did you understand the term when he used it but then get confused when I repeated it?:)

Now as to your question, I am unclear on your terminology. What is the "sound in the control room"? What is "life experiment that generated the recording"?:confused:

As Caesar was expressing preferences about a particular system I never listened to there was no reason to address the issue any more - neither the "dichotomy" or "straw man" debate. :)

But your simple, strong and general statement seemed interesting enough to call my attention, as I have been reading about it in Toole book "Sound Reproduction". I will come back later on it.

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
No way do I want to accurately reproduce the live concert sound in my room. I'm basing that on most of the concerts I've attended recently.... high levels of distortion, kick drums that cause arrhythmia, undecipherable vocals. The best an a'phile can hope for is something close to what was heard in the studio.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
No way do I want to accurately reproduce the live concert sound in my room. I'm basing that on most of the concerts I've attended recently.... high levels of distortion, kick drums that cause arrhythmia, undecipherable vocals. The best an a'phile can hope for is something close to what was heard in the studio.
Which, again, is why good audio can be "better" that the real thing, in many cases by a huge margin ...

Frank

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com

I think those that talk of reproducing live concert sounds in their room are referring to unamplified orchestral concerts, rather than a stadium rock concert.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I can't think of a single recording/mastering studio that has Magico. I can name several with Wilson though.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
As Caesar was expressing preferences about a particular system I never listened to there was no reason to address the issue any more - neither the "dichotomy" or "straw man" debate. :)

But your simple, strong and general statement seemed interesting enough to call my attention, as I have been reading about it in Toole book "Sound Reproduction". I will come back later on it.

Do Wilsons have a bass hump? Really? I understand that speakers are the weakest link in the chain and their designers are almost always choosing their compromises, but a glaring, engineered distortion like a bass hump would seem pretty absurd in a speaker like a Wilson at the price point of a Wilson. And to be honest, the last time I heard a pair, very well set-up in a small showroom dedicated to one 2-channel system (with Spectral electronics, by the way), I heard no bass hump to speak of. They were just a tiny bit on the warm side overall, but still among the clearest, most precise big passive speakers I've heard. But nothing I'd call a bass hump. Perhaps it is set-up dependent. Big passive floor standers typically have a foundation that amounts to a big passive sub. Not the best driver control in the world and no ability to place that bass unit, or individually adjust it for its best response in-room.

As far as the rest of this thread is concerned, it's the same old argument wrapped in a couple of brand flags. And you all know my position.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think those that talk of reproducing live concert sounds in their room are referring to unamplified orchestral concerts, rather than a stadium rock concert.

I do not speak for others, but +1.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I can't think of a single recording/mastering studio that has Magico. I can name several with Wilson though.

Until he got the JMLab Grande Utopia EM, Paul Stubblebine had the Maggico Reference active 4 way active system at his mastering studio. One of the few dream systems using tubes that could have the blessing of our super moderator Phelonious Ponk, as "Directly connecting the power amplifier to the drivers’ voice coils, with no intervening capacitors and inductors, confers a huge advantage in sound quality." (quoted from the avguide review of the Maggico Ultimate) :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
"Directly connecting the power amplifier to the drivers’ voice coils, with no intervening capacitors and inductors, confers a huge advantage in sound quality."

You betcher bippy.

Tim

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Until he got the JMLab Grande Utopia EM, Paul Stubblebine had the Maggico Reference active 4 way active system at his mastering studio. One of the few dream systems using tubes that could have the blessing of our super moderator Phelonious Ponk, as "Directly connecting the power amplifier to the drivers’ voice coils, with no intervening capacitors and inductors, confers a huge advantage in sound quality." (quoted from the avguide review of the Maggico Ultimate) :D

Makes you wonder why he got rid of them. I can't seem to recall when he had them in there. Must have been only for a short time.

Here's a pic of the speakers I thought that Alon had built him before the Focals.

Attachments

• alonspkrs..jpg
    alonspkrs..jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 310

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing