Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

caesar

May 30, 2010
The M5/Q5 was a marketing mistake, IMO, and must have been difficult on both the dealers and M5 owners. It did mark a real turning point in Magico's direction.

I do not think that post #50 tells people everything they need to know about the differences between the two brands. For instance, how they sound different from each other.

Yes, and discussing this on a social forum led to an improvement by magico - Q7 guys have an upgrade path!

caesar

May 30, 2010
This thread is or was about Wilson's marketing. Why bash Wolf and Magico and bring up that Roysen incident? That was highly controversial and there were two sides to that story. You just seem to fan the flames, caesar. We get that you don't like Magico. Discuss it in another thread, or find something else to rant about, please.

Peter, I am not bashing anyone. Just a neutral third party looking at what is going on from the outside. I happen to believe that the health of both Wilson and Magico, being the most recognized audio brands, is very important for our hobby. What they do have ripples all over the place.

I hope that wolf and roysen handled the incident over some adult beverages, and it ultimately wasn't decided by lawyers and arbitrators. And for the sake of argument, let's say wolf's story was right on. Yet going public with it on a fan forum, he shot himself in the foot, reinforcing the likability issue so many complain about.

As I mentioned above, latest research shows that customers engage with and become loyal to companies and brands in the same way they do with other people—on the basis of their warmth and competence.

Possible simple scenario: Someone who is not into this hobby as we are is deciding between MPro Jr and Alexia 2 greatly likes the sound of both (so competence is satisfied for both brands), but gets a little bit of a cold human response in a room at a show. What does he buy? How many people would buy a car if they perceive their salesman to be a jerk?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As I mentioned above, latest research shows that customers engage with and become loyal to companies and brands in the same way they do with other people—on the basis of their warmth and competence.

Possible simple scenario: Someone who is not into this hobby as we are is deciding between MPro Jr and Alexia 2 greatly likes the sound of both (so competence is satisfied for both brands), but gets a little bit of a cold human response in a room at a show. What does he buy? How many people would buy a car if they perceive their salesman to be a jerk?

Let us suppose it is an ET landing in the CES show. He will probably choose by the music being played - and then the the winner will be the salesman playing five-tone musical phrases in a major scale... :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just adding a bit of random data to the thread, in the last 30 days, the Magico forum here ranked as #20 busiest page whereas Wilson was #25 (smaller numbers better).

Over the last 12 months, Magico ranked #17 whereas Wilson ranked #40. Magico was beat by only one brand specific forum.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Yes, and it should be read from the beginning.

Post #50 tells people everything they need to know about the difference between WA and Magico.

Does it really?
Have you ever seen the difference between a Wilson and a Magico bass driver? Have you ever examined their product value proposition? To some, these issues are critical. A new S5 Mk2, with similar size driver compliment, albeit MUCH more expensive, to the Alexia in a 150 KG fully machined aluminum cabinet, Diamond coated Be tweeter Mundorf XO parts etc, for $15K less !!!
Yes, yes, some of you may think that it is not important or tell themselves that they do not sound better etc, and to those, Wilson marketing is very effective. Like I said in post #212, two different type of customers, looking for different things in their purchase.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Does it really?
Have you ever seen the difference between a Wilson and a Magico bass driver? Have you ever examined their product value proposition? To some, these issues are critical. A new S5 Mk2, with similar size driver compliment, albeit MUCH more expensive, to the Alexia in a 150 KG fully machined aluminum cabinet, Diamond coated Be tweeter Mundorf XO parts etc, for $15K less.
Yes, yes, some of you may think that it is not important or tell themselves that they do not sound better etc, and to those, Wilson marketing is very effective. Like I said in post #212, two different type of customers, looking for different things in their purchase.

Agreed.

As Rodney King said, "can't we all get along"

This is all fodder and nothing more. People like what they like. You are absolutely correct

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, and discussing this on a social forum led to an improvement by magico - Q7 guys have an upgrade path!

Do you know if the Wilson Sasha and Sophia models are upgradable to Mk2 status? Are the Magico S1 and S5 models upgradable to Mk2 status? The Magico Mini was upgradable to the Mini II long before the Q7 guys had an upgrade path.

The Q5 was not a new version of the M5. What does that experience have to do with the Q7? And are you aware of anyone who upgraded a Q7 to Mk2 status?

Discussing it on a social forum led to what exactly? Please support your idea.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Just adding a bit of random data to the thread, in the last 30 days, the Magico forum here ranked as #20 busiest page whereas Wilson was #25 (smaller numbers better).

Over the last 12 months, Magico ranked #17 whereas Wilson ranked #40. Magico was beat by only one brand specific forum.

Very interesting, why do you think that that is the case?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Does it really?
Have you ever seen the difference between a Wilson and a Magico bass driver? Have you ever examined their product value proposition? To some, these issues are critical. A new S5 Mk2, with similar size driver compliment, albeit MUCH more expensive, to the Alexia in a 150 KG fully machined aluminum cabinet, Diamond coated Be tweeter Mundorf XO parts etc, for $15K less !!!

There are also the Duette/Q1/S1, the Sasha/Q3/S3, etc. etc. These two brands are direct competitors. They each may loose potential market share to the other, but we customers benefit from this competition, as do the magazines and forums. There is plenty of choice when one includes all of the other brands out there. There are plenty of marketing approaches too. The potential customer for these two brands may be the same person, but the eventual owner can hear differences, and makes his choice accordingly. I really don't think it has much to do with the individual personas of David Wilson or Alon Wolf.

Steve Williams

I really don't think it has much to do with the individual personas of David Wilson or Alon Wolf.

I totally agree. I seriously doubt anyone is buying their speakers based on the two company principals

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Does it really?

Do you consider that the majority of audiophiles are not using their ears to choose their speaker? IMHO Wilson marketing is mostly based on the performance of the speaker, aspects that can be easily perceived by non technical people and focuses on aspects where the speaker has the strongest points in sound quality, besides their long term quality service and family business image .

BTW, the common Mundorf parts used in the S series are not expensive at all, they have been used by DIY people in Europe, such as me, since long - I rebuilt my Soundlab crossover using Mundorf parts. Thinks become pricier at their Supreme series. Other European brands have been using Mundorfs, such as Sonusfaber or B&W - we consider it very good quality parts. I can accept that for the US market, using German parts becomes much more fashionable ... Here we can get them easily next day!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
IIRC the S 5 is an aluminium" extruded" 12 mm thick cabinet , it is off course braced but i very much doubt it would weigh 150 kg , any proof of that mister magico ??
Does it really?

Steve Williams

IIRC the S 5 is an aluminium" extruded" 12 mm thick cabinet , it is off course braced but i very much doubt it would weigh 150 kg , any proof of that mister magico ??

I checked the website and they weigh 190 lbs not 150 kg

SPECIFICATIONS
Driver Complement:
1 x 1" MB30 Tweeter
1 x 6" MB80 Midrange
2 x 10” Hybrid Nano-Tec®Bass

Sensitivity: 89dB

Impedance: 4 Ohms

Frequency Response:
22 Hz - 50 kHz

Recommended Power:
50-1200 watts

Dimensions:
48”H x 14”D x 1”5W
(122cm x 36cm x 38cm)

Weight: 190 lbs. (86 kg)

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
The Wilson Alexx speakers were the best room at Axpona to me. I was underwhelmed by the Magico room. I love the construction of the Magico speakers but their sound does not sound like real music to my ears.

Another thing that bothers me is that I approached Alon in a very friendly manner at Axpona and he was pretty cool. He has lots of attitude. You would think that at a show he would at least be in friendly sales mode. It left me cold. Maybe he was having a bad day but several others noted it.

Not to be too general but if he is an engineer some are just not comfortable in a social situation like they would be with a calculator.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
dave and alon ... For the love of god (sorry dave ... Heavenly father) both of you need to find new tailors. Seriously guys ... A tailor!

lol

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Another thing that bothers me is that I approached Alon in a very friendly manner at Axpona and he was pretty cool. He has lots of attitude. You would think that at a show he would at least be in friendly sales mode. It left me cold. Maybe he was having a bad day but several others noted it.

Sorry, but this is BS. Maybe he was was having a bad day. Trying to run a business, and listen to the caesars of the world can do that to you. :)

Anyway, Alon has been very gracious to me, and I am an inconsequential low budget Magico owner. I purchased a used pair of S5s, and blew both up one Friday night. When I took them to Magico for repair I was introduced to Alon, and he spent time with me explaining how their speakers have such low distortion that you should monitor the SPL with a meter so you don't blow them up. Then he spent time demoing the Ultimate speakers. Later I got an invite to come visit for a A/B demo of the the new S7 versus the S5. He spent close to an hour with me switching speakers as he played tracks I requested. Personally, I was impressed with the entire Magico team, and am looking forward to upgrading at some point in the future.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Gee, Bud just discovered a post that Lee made over a week ago.

Lee you need to get some Magico speakers and blow them up, so you can hang with Alon.;-)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing