LS27 preamp reviewed at Soundstage

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
One of the 1st reviews for the LS27 - I think.

Of interest though is the reviewer did not use the balance setup, meaning RCA combined with the highest gain setting.
IMO (and seems a few others) the LS27 performed best in low gain and balanced system (XLR) -
was my preference as well with the perceived sound quality improvement.

Just a shame the reviewer could not compare the balance setup as it seems subtly better regarding timbre, but the review is very positive even using the single ended setup.
http://www.soundstage.com/index.php...plifier&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4

Cheers
Orb

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I found this to be a rather strange review for a number of reasons. It sounded like a review of the Roland 808 with some funky music choices.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well I did say I think it was the 1st review, not that it was a great one :)
There are a few lines on the LS27 in there, somewhere :)

Cheers
Orb

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have heard the LS27 in my system and IMO the 3 gain settings is the achilles heal.

If it is truely transparent gain, each setting should sound the same, with the volume being higher or lower - simple as that. That each gain setting sounds quite different was very frustrating to me as the volume/gain control was adding way too much flavour to the sonic equation.

cheers

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
What is the preferred gain setting on the LS27? I too am unsure of which one I like better.

CanadianMaestro

Dec 17, 2014
Canada (surprise!)
What is the preferred gain setting on the LS27? I too am unsure of which one I like better.

I use medium with a volume setting of around 25-35 for my symphonies; 10-20 for single vocals. My player puts out 4.5V, so I don't use the H gain too often on LS27.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
I use medium with a volume setting of around 25-35 for my symphonies; 10-20 for single vocals. My player puts out 4.5V, so I don't use the H gain too often on LS27.

Thanks Maestro. I use mine almost the same, but unsure if this was the optimum settings.

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
It all depends..

Example: CD output 5,4VAC rms
Pre amp gain: 11,6dB = output voltage 20,53VAC rms
Power amp gain: 27dB = output voltage 459,61VAC rms
Speaker power sensitivity: 90dB/W = output 135dB (26335W@8ohms)

Most of the time it is practical to apply attenuation in the pre amp :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing